"Biggest loser" type challenge question...

jessica182517
jessica182517 Posts: 390 Member
edited December 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
My family is wanting to all pitch in some money each month and have a winner every month for weight loss and getting healthy type challenge. I'm trying to put together a challenge group for us but we are all at such a wide range of weight loss goals so I'm trying to come up with a better way to pick a winner each month. I was thinking bf% but I wanted to ask here to see if anyone had any better ideas?

Replies

• jessica182517
    jessica182517 Posts: 390 Member
    Thank you everyone for the advice!! I definitely like the idea of weight% lost rather than bf% makes it a little easier. I also like the idea of having maybe a second place winner for "commitment" so first place could get like 75% of the $ for having the most weight loss % but second place would get the other 25% and that could be everyone who has completed all the weekly and daily challenges and put 100% effort in daily would be put into a random drawing for the rest. Because like posted above not everyone can lose quickly so that makes it a little more focused to not just weight loss BUT being consistent in getting healthy and not giving up if you goal isn't met.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    edited December 2017
    I'm not a proponent of these type of challenges because fast weight loss is so often unhealthy or unsustainable especially over the long run.

Why not do something that encourages losing weight in a safer/healthier way. Like maybe have a pot that everyone contributes to. Then have everyone participating set a reasonable, realistic and sustainable goal for the end of the period. Everyone who achieves their personal goal splits the pot at the end.

Or anything along those lines.

Edited to add: I'd also add in some fitness goals like steps, etc to encourage more physical activity not just strictly weight loss.
  • Bigbenny2037
    Bigbenny2037 Posts: 8 Member
    Yea you guys make some fair points all good sorry all
  • ashharris424
    ashharris424 Posts: 68 Member
    Nutrishop does challenges like this all the time. They have an InBody machine in their stores that measures muscle mass, body fat, water weight, etc. With their challenges, you get 1 point for every pound of muscle gained, 1 point for every pound of fat lost and 1 point for each percentage of body fat lost. You can go to the InBody website to see if there's any stores or gyms with their machines in them. They're free to use.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,926 Member
    I know NOTHING about anything but here was an idea i had when i read this post:

No matter the method of weight loss how about make the reward something that rewards "the winner" but everyone also gets to share in it. That way you can use BF% or % of weight loss but at the end of the day everyone wins as long as everyone is participating but still gives some kind of incentive.

If you had the opportunity to win $5 or $100 in a competition, which one would you try hardest in? Technically, everyone wins regardless of the end result as they have probably all lost weight and made steps towards becoming healthier... I think the results would be better overall if there was a bigger incentive for the one winner at the end

I disagree with this logic for a family competition - Ive been in family challenges before (footy tipping games and the like, nothing to do with weight or health) and the prize doesnt have to be big at all to be incentivising - really the 'game ' is more fun than the prize itself.
    You know ,the journey is the destination type thing.

Same with poster who thought it was mediocre if everybody wins -It's family, you want everyone to win, dont you - and nothing wrong with a prize that encompasses that whilst still haveing a winner
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    I know NOTHING about anything but here was an idea i had when i read this post:

No matter the method of weight loss how about make the reward something that rewards "the winner" but everyone also gets to share in it. That way you can use BF% or % of weight loss but at the end of the day everyone wins as long as everyone is participating but still gives some kind of incentive.

If you had the opportunity to win $5 or $100 in a competition, which one would you try hardest in? Technically, everyone wins regardless of the end result as they have probably all lost weight and made steps towards becoming healthier... I think the results would be better overall if there was a bigger incentive for the one winner at the end

I disagree with this logic for a family competition - Ive been in family challenges before (footy tipping games and the like, nothing to do with weight or health) and the prize doesnt have to be big at all to be incentivising - really the 'game ' is more fun than the prize itself.
    You know ,the journey is the destination type thing.

Same with poster who thought it was mediocre if everybody wins -It's family, you want everyone to win, dont you - and nothing wrong with a prize that encompasses that whilst still haveing a winner

I disagree with this logic for a weight loss competition, when the individual's effort determines the outcome. If there was no definitive winner, every one could just bumble along and not put in a great effort because "everyone wins" - if there's a substantial gain from being the winner, you put in more effort (and technically everyone would win in that respect).... By golly I'd be putting in more effort to make sure I beat everyone else!
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,120 Member
    How about something entirely different - everyone contribute money each month, everyone set a reasonable weight loss goal for say 6 months, 1 year (or however long you want) and at the end those that reached their goal all go on a family vacation? It would encourage everyone to work hard, also wouldn't make one person feel like they have to lose more weight than is healthy, and it would be something fun at the end when people have reached their goal.
  • paperpudding
    No livingleanliving I wasnt suggesting not having a definitive winner - just that in family competitions the prize does not have be higher to be incentive.

and being family, a prize shared by all eg a night out whereby winner gets shouted out and is guest of honour, could be a good prize, not mediocre because everyone wins.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    No livingleanliving I wasnt suggesting not having a definitive winner - just that in family competitions the prize does not have be higher to be incentive.

and being family, a prize shared by all eg a night out whereby winner gets shouted out and is guest of honour, could be a good prize, not mediocre because everyone wins.

Haha - that's not a shared prize though, which is how I interpreted the original comment. Nor does the prize need to be higher because it's family - there just needs to be an actual winner, with a prize to that winner.
  • paperpudding
    edited December 2017
    Well it sort of is a shared prize, everyone gets to enjoy an evening out together - but anyway was not suggesting not having a definitive winner so seems we are not too much on different pages with this.

PS I meant shouted out as in everyone else pays for winners evening - just in case 'shout' used as such is not common language elsewhere, I sometimes forget about slang being parochial.