Apple cider vinegar

Options
Has anyone tried incorporating apple cider vinegar to there daily diet regimen? And how has it or hasn’t it made a difference with your body? Debate:apple cider vinegar or not to apple cider vinegar? That is the question!

Replies

• brightresolve
    brightresolve Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    ...I don't believe the ACV would make a difference, but if you think it would, that's a way to find out (within the limited usefulness of n=1).

If n=1 and the experiment subject believes ACV will make a difference, the placebo effect ought to create one :wink:

Nice summary, @lemurcat12
  • PAPete13
    PAPete13 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    FWIW: Every night I drink a TBS of ACV plus a big pinch of salt in about 10-12 oz. of water. It seems to help my night time leg cramps. FYI: I'm a 77 year old insulin-dependent diabetic who runs and lifts weight; my diet for the last several months has been Ketogenic, and some of those websites recommend it. May not be too applicable to you. (But at least it's not a sarcastic snarl.)
  • myles1230
    myles1230 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    reacher14 wrote: »
    Hi there is some support for vinegar in weight loss n3my7o7wa3lc.jpeg
    This info is from The Blood Sugar Diet book by Michael Mosley.
    One thing regarding ACV i am told that the most beneficial is the the ACV which is cloudy type known as "The mother " take a tablespoon in water daily if you fancy it .

Thanks bud!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    blambo61 wrote: »
    vingogly wrote: »
    The problem with citations in books like Mosely's and and in references like the HealthLine article is this: science is a dialog over time, and citing a study or two as proof doesn't work. Over time others will attempt to replicate research results, and as a consequence, some results are validated, others aren't. That's what "scientifically validated" means. You can find individual studies to "prove" anything you want -- this is called "proof texting" in theology.

Case in point: In 1989, two researchers (Fleischmann and Pons) published a study that suggested they'd found a way to initiate a cold fusion reaction. The press went wild because -- if true -- all our energy problems were solved: pollution-free energy and lots of it from water and catalysts. Turns out they were in error: other researchers couldn't reproduce their results. However, research continues as does the argument over cold fusion; see:

https://www.wired.com/1998/11/coldfusion/

If you think research in medical and nutritional fields is any different, you're fooling yourself. That's how scientific research works and authors like Mosely either don't understand this or they're deliberately manipulating their readers. If like Mulder from the X Files you Want To Believe in ACV, better make sure you wash your mouth after drinking it, or make sure you've got good dental coverage.

Agree with all that. That is the reason people shouldn't make definitive statements it has no effect either when it hasn't been determined.

Anybody with even the most rudimentary grasp of physiology would understand why all the miracles attributed to ACV are pure BS.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Yes, placebo effect certainly is powerful - obviously why studies use double blind placebo comparisons - ie neither subjects nor providers (cant think of right word) know which substance is real and which is placebo.

I've seen various medical studies on whether med x improves asthma, reflux, whatever - always the placebo group also has improvement.
    although of course, for a medication to be validated, significantly less than the medication group

On a personal level nothing wrong with placebo - as long as we recognise it as such.

To give exagerated example - if i lose weight whenever i say "I am sticking to my calorie allowance" 10 times before I get out of bed - then no reason to stop doing so nor to discredit the power of such.

Just don't claim it has scientific validity or universal application.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Related to the past few posts, especially vingogly's and paperpudding's--

Back in the early 2000s I lost weight for the first time (and the only time until 2014 -- I kept off the weight I lost for the majority of the time period in-between). Around the time I decided to lose, I read something somewhere about milk being helpful for weight loss (there was one study that concluded that, if memory serves). I had intended to start eating breakfast again anyway (I didn't up 'til that point), and decided that having one glass of milk in the mornings (it was skim) would be a nice way to start the day. I also changed my diet some and, mostly made it more regular, based around breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and planned out (before then I'd basically done what would now be called IFing -- nothing 'til afternoon and then eating whatever I wanted, including a big dinner, and I'd gained weight, clearly, although it had nothing to do with skipping breakfast, it was food choices).

Anyway, I enjoyed the milk and was convinced that the study had been correct and that consuming the milk helped me lose fast (2 lb/week, I wasn't logging, I was 180 when I started and lost to 120, although it slowed down at the end). Among other things, I was convinced it was why I was miraculously not hungry, despite eating less by a lot than I had been.

Eventually I stopped drinking milk again. When I decided to lose again in 2014, I remembered the studies and looked and saw it seemed that one study had been kind of a fluke, some claimed dairy (or skim dairy) was bad for weight loss, and mostly it didn't seem to have an effect. Since I didn't particularly want to use calories on milk and now liked eggs for breakfast, I didn't start consuming milk again, and yet once again I lost fast, was not hungry, and seemed to respond well to having a meal plan based around breakfast, lunch, dinner, no snacking.

I figured that the perceived benefits of the milk before had been me assuming the study was right and attributing to it what I'd expected to happen, but which had other causes.

I think people do the same thing about lots of other dietary magic they decide they think will work, including (especially) ACV. (You also see it with adding coconut oil and so on.)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    There's also a cool study where people take some supplement or a placebo. The people who took the supplement regularly and consistently did better than those who didn't consistently take it. HOWEVER, the people who took the placebo also regularly and consistently also did similarly to those who took the supplement, and those who took it irregularly did similarly to those who took the supplement irregularly.