C25K / Week 5 then week 6 transition - huh??

Options
Week 5 Run three:
a brisk five-minute walk, then 20 minutes of running, with no walking.

Then

Week 6 Run one:
a brisk five-minute walk, then five minutes of running, three minutes of walking, eight minutes of running, three minutes of walking and five minutes of running.

It looks weird to go from a straight 20 minute run back to adding walking. I have complete faith in the program but wonder why is it built with this progression. Any ideas why that would be set up this way?

Monday I do the 20 minute jog. Eeeeeek, I am very, very scared.

Replies

• lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Congrats on getting so far! I just graduated from C25K this week. The last run was surprisingly easy. My lungs felt great, my legs felt like they could run longer.

I honestly don't know the why's of it's set-up, but I do know that it works. Don't be afraid of the 20 minutes, you've got this!
  • BrianKMcFalls
    BrianKMcFalls Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    It's been a while since I've looked at the program, but it's an increase in volume, even though you are walking. You should also be able to run faster with the walk breaks.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    First, congrats on getting this far! Great work! Second, that 20 minute run is "easier" for most people than we expected. You will probably make it the first time, but if not, repeat week 5. I have no idea why the program is structured the way it is in weeks 6 & 7 and no one could really explain it. It works for most people, so just follow it.

• 30kgin2017
    30kgin2017 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    It looks like a recovery run plus its actually only 2 mins less of running so you are likely to cover more distance in the 24mins (excluded warm up time). If I do a hilly run I find my next run is always way slower as my body takes longer to recover from the hills as compared to a flat run.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Great job!!!!

It's not 'that' much harder to run outside. Keep with the program and maybe start the 10k program and you'll be running outside easier than you think. No need to completely start over. Take it easy and avoid hills for the first couple weeks and you will be fine.

Good luck.