NSV for me!

Options
Let me start off by saying that when I joined MFP, I wanted to lose my beer gut without actually lowering my alcohol consumption. what can I say? I love to have a beer or a glass of wine after a hard day of work or when I'm out with my friends. :blushing: Well, I am leaving for vacation next weekend and decided last weekend that I was going to not drink any alcohol and work extra hard at the gym until I leave. I play in a dodgeball league for fun and we always go out to a sponsor bar after the games, so last night I decided to go out with my team just to be social, but I was nervous I wouldn't be able to control myself. But I successfully made it through the evening without drinking one sip of alcohol or eating any bar food. Instead, I drank four glasses of water and left early to eat something healthy at home. I know it doesn't sound like a lot, but I was so proud of myself for not succumbing to the temptations! :bigsmile:

Replies

• ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    That's a huge accomplishment!! Congrats!
  • dragonflydi
    dragonflydi Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Rock on! That is great :)
  • jamesdelong
    jamesdelong Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I know how hard that is. It's always beer:thirty when I am with my friends. I'll still have my share on the weekends here and there but my friends are no saying that I should just be the designated driver and that will be my excuse to not drink at all.
    Plus I enjoy unsweet tea with that pink stuff.

Congrats on fighting that urge.
  • sarahlong09
    Options
    Great Job!!! Thats what it takes!!!
  • Rickie_Raver
    Rickie_Raver Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I love my beer too and have found that it is the hardest thing for me to give up. So this is a great accomplishment. Thank you for sharing that it can be done!
  • ScarletFyre
    ScarletFyre Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Great job! those accomplishements might sound small to you, but they are the foundation of what you are ultimately trying to accomplish. :smile:
  • change_happens
    Options
    good for you! you should be very proud for sticking to your commitment.... besides... it got you home early :) more time with the family :)
  • tararocks
    tararocks Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I will be fighting this same battle tonight after coed rec softball....some weeks i am successful most weeks I am not.
  • sjkcarter
    sjkcarter Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    That is huge!!! I hope someday I can get to be that strong when I hangout with friends.
  • bsteffneyjr
    bsteffneyjr Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    i eat low cal filling foods and save at the least 1000 cal for beer (miller lite) 10 beers 96 cals and then u pass out without eating. working for me a couple nights out of 3 weeks so far and i am down 10lbs
  • Musterion
    Musterion Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    @ Bsteffneyjr

If that is your real diet then you are in trouble (if you are just joking - stop reading now).

First off, more than 5 alcoholic drinks at one time is considered binge drinking - the chances of "bad things" happening to you during that binge go up substantially. Secondly - getting almost all of your daily calories from Miller Lite (960 calories per day) - is nutrional suicide. Your body will not be able to function normally long term on such a diet. I would suggest you abandon this dietary plan and move to one that is better for you. If you find you can't give up the beer (or at least moderate it to a couple of beers every now and then) - then I would suggest you go get help (like go sit in a few Alcoholics Anonymous meetings). Just caring for a fellow human being - the best to you!
  • bsteffneyjr
    Options
    just a few times a month (when with friends) no problems here. 9 out 10 days are healthy food and exercise. thanks for your concern though, i am Irish!
    Cheers
  • LoveMy3Boys
    LoveMy3Boys Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Great job!
  • rstudebaker52
    rstudebaker52 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I do sometimes save up some calories if I know I'm going to be going out. But normally that's only if I've busted my butt at the gym. If I don't exercise, I'm on a 1200 cal/day plan, so 1000 calories worth of beer would mean no food whatsoever. I try to be good, but there have definitely been days where I have gone way over my cals because of beer, which I why I was so proud of myself for not drinking at all last night. Thanks for all the positive comments, everyone's encouragement is making me feel even more positive :smile:
  • cgd67
    cgd67 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Great job! That means we can do it too!
  • kimtpa1417
    kimtpa1417 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I am Irish too and LOVE LOVE LOVE my beer...:drinker:

I have cut back my drinking to only about every 3 weeks but I know for a fact that I am consumming way more than 960 calories..... (double fisting the beer and whiskey)

This weekend is my bro in law bday celebration (they are all drinkers) so I will see how fun it will be being sober around a bunch of drunks..... LOL :sad:
  • bsteffneyjr
    Options
    i get 1840 cals a day so it is not that hard for me, i also weigh 269lbs was 280. Anyway good job sometimes it is good to turn it down, but Saturday nights kill me!
  • bsteffneyjr
    Options
    2 fist are better than 1, my friends call me vodka Bob, not sure if that is a good thing or not? Ketel & club extra lemons 96 calories not a bad choice same as a miller lite.

Your making me thirsty
  • julesandrich
    julesandrich Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    That is awesome!! I love bloody mary's on Sunday; wine during the week and good beer (I cannot stomach most "light" beers). :drinker: :drinker: I too, have been unwilling to stop completely and sometimes I am over my calories from a beer or a glass of wine. So congrats!!! Awesome job! :smile:
  • jennw912
    jennw912 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Rachel!!!,!! That's awesome! I'm proud of you! And yeah I think letting go at the beach a lil will be worth it!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!