Next Steps after losing 20 pounds

Options
Hi Everyone,
A new year is around the corner and I'm looking for advice. I started trying to lose weight in June 2017 and since then have lost 20 pounds through tracking calories and exercising 4 times a week. I have dropped a pants size and feel great. My question is: What is next, esp. for my fitness goals? I like to bicycle, run on the treadmill, lift light weights, and take barre class or yoga occasionally. Should I focus on toning and building strength, and if so, what do you recommend? Also how can I avoid losing my motivation as the "new normal" kicks in?

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    djangokatt wrote: »
    ...My question is: What is next, esp. for my fitness goals?...
    It depends. What are your personal fitness goals? If your goal is to run a marathon, the advice would be very different than if your goal was to hit a 1000 pound total in squats, deadlift and bench press.

...Should I focus on toning and building strength, and if so, what do you recommend?...
    "Toning" is reducing body fat while strength training to maintain/increase muscle mass. There's a good read about what it is and how to do it here: https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/muscle-tone/

...Also how can I avoid losing my motivation as the "new normal" kicks in?
    Form habits and self-discipline. Motivation is the desire to do something; discipline is the ability to do things even when you don't really want to. Motivation will only carry you so far. Make fitness/training part of your daily/weekly schedule so it's an integral part of your "new normal". I've gotten to the point where it just doesn't feel right if I don't get some form of daily exercise in, even if it's just to get out and take a brisk 2-3 mile walk.
  • djangokatt
    djangokatt Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply! Good ideas. I am pretty good with discipline, but I think my goals are fuzzy. Originally the goal was to "get in shape". I have done a 10K before; maybe I should try for a better time? Maybe I should try lifting more and stronger weights. I guess I need to think about this more!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    If you've never tried lifting heavy I recommend it. It's fun and has great effects on your body. If you can get a trainer to work with you once to show you proper form, it's a good idea.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Hi Everyone,
    Also how can I avoid losing my motivation as the "new normal" kicks in?

Post your 'before' and after pics in a prominent place where you see them every day. They will be a reminder of how far you've come and where you will go back to if you don't keep it moving forward!
    Congrats on your loss!
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply! Good ideas. I am pretty good with discipline, but I think my goals are fuzzy. Originally the goal was to "get in shape". I have done a 10K before; maybe I should try for a better time? Maybe I should try lifting more and stronger weights. I guess I need to think about this more!

Do you enjoy running? If so, focus on running longer and/or faster. If you enjoy lifting, focus on that. Do what you like most and you will be more likely to stick with it.

Good luck.