Sore knee

Options
What do you do for cardio when your knee is sore?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Depends what sort of sore it is?
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Bike - real or stationary, swim, or walk on level ground. My physical therapist recommends walking at least a mile a day, even when it hurts a little, but not when there's crepitus (that crunchy sound when you bend it) with every step.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Bike - real or stationary, swim, or walk on level ground. My physical therapist recommends walking at least a mile a day, even when it hurts a little, but not when there's crepitus (that crunchy sound when you bend it) with every step.

What diagnosis did you get on your knee by your physio?
  • monkeygirl08
    monkeygirl08 Posts: 2,109 Member
    Options
    I work out on the Elliptical for about 20 minutes, or dance. My doc said it's arthritis beginning up. I don't let it stop me though. I power through, depending on what the pain level is. If its too much, I'll switch workouts, or just take a break for that day. Oh, wear a good knee brace to. They really do help!
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    I work out on the Elliptical for about 20 minutes, or dance. My doc said it's arthritis beginning up. I don't let it stop me though. I power through, depending on what the pain level is. If its too much, I'll switch workouts, or just take a break for that day. Oh, wear a good knee brace to. They really do help!

A knee brace is a really bad idea without a diagnosis as to what is actually wrong with the knee and could make it worse...
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

Step #1 is determining what he cause of the pain is and relying on random, unqualified, strangers on the Internet is not the way to get a diagnosis. The advice may be well intentioned but potentially harmful. A session with a physiotherapist or sports medicine type is worth doing and may save you years of dealing with discomfort (or worse, unresolved pain stopping you from exercising altogether)

• onecolbeauty
    onecolbeauty Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice
  • onecolbeauty
    onecolbeauty Posts: 21 Member
    Options

Step #1 is determining what he cause of the pain is and relying on random, unqualified, strangers on the Internet is not the way to get a diagnosis. The advice may be well intentioned but potentially harmful. A session with a physiotherapist or sports medicine type is worth doing and may save you years of dealing with discomfort (or worse, unresolved pain stopping you from exercising altogether)

Thank you! I appreciate that.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options

Nothing.

I'd rest it until the pain goes away and, if the pain doesn't go away, I'd have it assessed by an orthopedist specializing in knees, after x-rays are taken and an MRI scan is done.
  • Slasher09
    Slasher09 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I'll second the others on getting an accurate diagnosis and treatment (PT, etc) and lowering the impact with swimming, elliptical, walking, etc. a friend of mine who is disabled and can't walk independently getting a pretty good cardio workout doing boxing type punches and hand bike type exercises
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    My knees have suffered bone (patella fracture), ligament (x3), meniscus (x2) and also fat pad impingement injuries.
    All have required different treatment, rest periods and resulted in different restrictions or outcomes.

If rest doesn't sort it get a diagnosis, don't guess, don't wear a knee brace, don't keep making it sore.
    Sports physios have been my most reliable expects, far more reliable than orthopaedic surgeons but a good one recognises both when it's beyond their scope and who the good surgeons are.