Unsupportive spouse

Options
2»

Replies

• corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    My first thought was, do you wait until she plans, shops, half prepares a nice meal, and THEN you tell her no need to cook for you. If that's the case, she needs to have a talk with you! If you have told her you want to eat healthy and she continues to cook unhealthy, carry on.
  • pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    Options
    You want someone to support your weight loss and if you have not already JOIN the MILITARY. They provide all the support you need to lose that stubborn weight. You can even learn a few new skills to boot.

No really the only person that needs to help you is YOU. I understand there is no one else that is going to get this done but me.
  • pamfgil
    pamfgil Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    If your working out time means that you are not doing household chores and she's needing to do extra it could mean she has a right to be hostile. Look at the full picture, what effect does your changes in behavior have on your combined domestic situation. You may need to tweak your routine
  • rdgfit
    rdgfit Posts: 98 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    My spouse is very supportive of my journey but I know I still send her around the bend at times. I sometimes have to remind myself that the lifestyle change I’m making is for me, and I can’t expect everyone to jump on with me, cause god knows it took me 20 years to get on the band wagon to start with. You need to be open about why you are doing it, how you are going to do it, and the support you need, but you also need to be open to compromise... I workout early in the morning or late at night to not upset the household schedule, sometimes eat more carbs than planned due to convenience with the kids, but in return my wife leaves the ingredients out for me to scan with the recipe so I can track, and waits patiently in a restaurant for me to look up the nutritional info on my phone before I order. It’s a new way of thinking and it doesn’t happen over night, and you may just need to give her time to catch up. But as a previous poster indicated we only get one body, and sometimes we do need to take a serious look and make corrections - and it’s not easy.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Why don't you want her to cook meals? are you suddenly insisting on separate meals, or insisting that you do the cooking (thus making her eat foods she may not be keen on?) Are you working out at a time that used to be reserved for something you did with her, so you're depriving her of that thing?

You're making changes. You're doing them for your own good, but you're also doing them unilaterally and it's affecting her. You're expecting her to change for your convenience, rather than asking her to make some changes to help you out.