Ditching keto?

Options
I’ve been following keto thus far. I’ve lost 33lbs but frankly I just don’t feel as great as I should. I’m exhausted by the end of the day. I could not keep my eyes open at 8 last night. The nutrition program at the gym I attend is a well balanced mix of proteins, fats and carbs. I’m going to switch things up and increase my carb and protein intake and lower my fats. I’m struggling with this as I have been losing weight but I need more energy for my workouts. My mood swings have also been off the charts. Anyone ditched keto and went to a well balanced way of eating? Did your weight loss stall?

Replies

• ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I tried low/no carb for 2 weeks. Ate an Oreo, gained a pound. It's not for me. The scale can be total b.s. Incorporate carbs, see how you FEEL.
  • itsaboutthattimeagain
    itsaboutthattimeagain Posts: 36 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    filbo132 wrote: »
    thecharon wrote: »
    i'm high carb and losing (lentils, quick oats, sweet potatoes, chickpeas, beans. if you can't do keto, just know that there are other options. I think my trick is to stay away from seriously high processed foods, junk fast food, and foods really high in added sugars. Otherwise, as long as it fits in my calories, I can eat it. I love my carbs. Getting a food scale was key!

Nope, you could even eat high processed foods and junk food.

All you need to do to lose weight is eat less calories than you burn.

Exactly, but a reminder that junk food will cost you a lot in calories, so it may leave you with less food. Think your body like if it's your wallet with money. Junk food is the equivalent of an expensive item. You may have enough to buy 1 or 2 of those items, but more than that, you will go in debt...when it comes to food, it's the samething, you may have enough room to eat 1 or 2 junk food item, but more than that and you will gain weight because they cost you a lot in calories and that may make you go over your maintenance. In my case, I am fortunate, because my maintenance is around 2800 calories, so I have a lot of wiggle room in which I can fit both healthy and junk food. If your someone who eats under 2000 calories, then this can be much more of a challenge especially if your one of those people who eats 1200 calories daily. At that point, your better off ditching junk food altogether.

Also junk food and high processed foods will be less nutrient dense and deprive your body of necessary nutrients (vitamins and minerals) to effectively run a healthy vessel. Just saying..not saying don't eat some junk food or high processed foods, just saying don't think that should be the norm, and also it cost a lot of calories as mentioned above.
  • itsaboutthattimeagain
    itsaboutthattimeagain Posts: 36 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    thecharon wrote: »
    i'm high carb and losing (lentils, quick oats, sweet potatoes, chickpeas, beans. if you can't do keto, just know that there are other options. I think my trick is to stay away from seriously high processed foods, junk fast food, and foods really high in added sugars. Otherwise, as long as it fits in my calories, I can eat it. I love my carbs. Getting a food scale was key!

Nope, you could even eat high processed foods and junk food.

All you need to do to lose weight is eat less calories than you burn.

Exactly, but a reminder that junk food will cost you a lot in calories, so it may leave you with less food. Think your body like if it's your wallet with money. Junk food is the equivalent of an expensive item. You may have enough to buy 1 or 2 of those items, but more than that, you will go in debt...when it comes to food, it's the samething, you may have enough room to eat 1 or 2 junk food item, but more than that and you will gain weight because they cost you a lot in calories and that may make you go over your maintenance. In my case, I am fortunate, because my maintenance is around 2800 calories, so I have a lot of wiggle room in which I can fit both healthy and junk food. If your someone who eats under 2000 calories, then this can be much more of a challenge especially if your one of those people who eats 1200 calories daily. At that point, your better off ditching junk food altogether.

Also junk food will be less nutrient dense and deprive your body of necessary nutrients (vitamins and minerals) to effectively run a healthy vessel. Just saying..not saying don't eat some junk food just saying don't think that should be the norm, and also it cost a lot of calories as mentioned above.

The key is to get your micronutrients, fiber and hit my proteins...the rest is bonus. I usually eat junk food only when I reach those 3 goals...but like I said, I am fortunate to have a high metabolism that can make me acheive my goals with ease. If I had to eat somewhere between 1200 calories to 2000 calories, I wouldn't even eat junk food at all, I would be starving.

lol! That's what I basically said. Micronutrients are vitamins and minerals. :smile: But, I did leave out the macros. I see what you are saying. :)
  • krissywashington79
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I’ve been following keto thus far. I’ve lost 33lbs but frankly I just don’t feel as great as I should. I’m exhausted by the end of the day. I could not keep my eyes open at 8 last night. The nutrition program at the gym I attend is a well balanced mix of proteins, fats and carbs. I’m going to switch things up and increase my carb and protein intake and lower my fats. I’m struggling with this as I have been losing weight but I need more energy for my workouts. My mood swings have also been off the charts. Anyone ditched keto and went to a well balanced way of eating? Did your weight loss stall?

The bolded are all symptoms of an electrolyte imbalance, and that does not go away unless you supplement sodium, and possibly magnesium (potassium too needed).

When I went keto I could not believe that I needed 3000-5000 mg of sodium a day. That is roughly 2 teaspoons of salt (2300mg sodium = 1 tsp salt). I'd bought into the low sodium dogma of the last few decades so I did not add salt. Three weeks into the diet I finally gave it once I was getting muscle cramps that were waking me up in the night.

Try a teaspoon of salt with water and salty broth a couple of times a day before ditching keto (if you were enjoying the diet otherwise). It may not be LCHF that disagrees with you, but rather an electrolyte imbalance.

(BTW, other symptoms of low sodium are fatigue, headaches, nausea, moodiness, BM issues, muscle aches and spasms.)

Most days I consume between 2500-3000mg of sodium and that wasn’t including any I added but didn’t log. I love salt!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options

The bolded are all symptoms of an electrolyte imbalance, and that does not go away unless you supplement sodium, and possibly magnesium (potassium too needed).

When I went keto I could not believe that I needed 3000-5000 mg of sodium a day. That is roughly 2 teaspoons of salt (2300mg sodium = 1 tsp salt). I'd bought into the low sodium dogma of the last few decades so I did not add salt. Three weeks into the diet I finally gave it once I was getting muscle cramps that were waking me up in the night.

Try a teaspoon of salt with water and salty broth a couple of times a day before ditching keto (if you were enjoying the diet otherwise). It may not be LCHF that disagrees with you, but rather an electrolyte imbalance.

(BTW, other symptoms of low sodium are fatigue, headaches, nausea, moodiness, BM issues, muscle aches and spasms.)

Hmm, all that, keto flu, stinky breath, fatigue, AND counting calories?

Or you can just count calories.
  • coffeebean1988
    coffeebean1988 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Keto is definitely not for everyone, including myself. I try to stay under 60g carbs/day (this includes fiber) and find that works for me. I also don’t eat meats (I eat fish) and absolutely no dairy (allergy) so I increase my protein from plants to make sure I get complete protein but I don’t always hit my goal. It’s been 7 years of ups and downs before I finally found my happy place. Everyone’s body is different- and it’s not always about the scale. Try not to label whatever your diet choice is and it will be a lot less stressful ;) good luck to you! And congrats on a 33lb loss!!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

You might actually gain some weight due to replenishing glycogen, no different than how you probably lost additional weight up front. So if you want, slowly increase carbs or increase them quickly and realize that you will have a few weeks until weight loss will start.

But if you can't follow a sustainable diet, than it wont matter. If keto makes you lethargic and making it a struggle, it's not the right plan. If you tend to like carbs, it's best to follow a plan that aligns to your current eating. That is what I found out through trying different diets.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    There are other people on these boards who have reported that in spite of electrolyte supplementation, they have not responded well to keto.

They, like you, also experienced lethargy and problems with moods.

Keto is great for some, but based on these reports, it's obviously not for everyone.

As mentioned in some of these above posts, as long as you continue to count calories and remain in a deficit, you'll be fine. As also mentioned, you can expect a bump on the scale as your glycogen stores are replenished.

Best of luck to you finding a sustainable macro mix for energy, dietary satisfaction, and results!
  • krissywashington79
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I changed my macros yesterday and even had some whole grain pasta. No bump in the scale this morning. I have so much more energy today. I fully understand this is a lifestyle change and am committed to that.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I changed my macros yesterday and even had some whole grain pasta. No bump in the scale this morning. I have so much more energy today. I fully understand this is a lifestyle change and am committed to that.

You might see the bump in another day or two. I have undulating carbohydrate levels due to how I work my deficit/diet break pattern, and often have a delayed reaction on the scale with the whole glycogen thing.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Do what works best for you and your health. If you know you have increased sodium from your normal levels, and you have no health need to eat keto, you are smart to do whatever works best in the long term for you.
    Orphia wrote: »

Hmm, all that, keto flu, stinky breath, fatigue, AND counting calories?

Or you can just count calories.

Correction. Less water retention, sweet smelling breath and less hunger so a greatly reduced need to count calories since most naturally eat less. YMMV

Or you can count calories.
  • Good_Morning_Glory
    Good_Morning_Glory Posts: 226 Member
    Options

Most days I consume between 2500-3000mg of sodium and that wasn’t including any I added but didn’t log. I love salt!

I have to add here that I was recommended to up my salt as well when my symptoms never got better on keto. I was a raging, angry, weak *kitten*. I upped my mag, potassium and sodium to ludicrously high amounts. Keto just isn’t a One Size Fits All.

I had so many manic episodes and panic attacks! My hair started to fall out. My Lady Time was fourteen days long. Go research Low Carb Anger or Keto Rage. We are NOT ALONE.

So now I’ve been counting calories and losing eating at a deficit. 50% or more carbs per day.

Don’t be shocked by the water gain at first. Just reevaluate and keep chugging along. I freaked out and threw in the towel and gained the 30 I lost back. Now I’m back in track and feel SO MUCH BETTER.

Good luck. I sent you a FR.