Running advice

Options
2»

Replies

• buffalogal42
    buffalogal42 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I just started running in late October on the treadmill to see if I could do my first 5k on Thanksgiving. I went for a relatively slow pace of 12 minute miles and created some playlists by researching BPMs for songs on jog.fm. I had no problem with my 5k even though it was outdoors with some elevation changes and it was super cold that day. But I think the music was critical for me to know what kind of pace to keep because I had only run on the treadmill before.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    capaul42 wrote: »
    I do mean the "feeling". I can do 5k on the treadmill at 2.5 incline easily. Outside, even on relatively even surface, I can barely do a couple hundred meters without trouble. Granted it was cold and windy and my first time ever attempting a 5k outside but still.
    Maybe I'm just over thinking it.

I was so disappointed with my running when I first ran outdoors. I trained on the treadmill and could run 5K without too much issue. But moving to outside, I was like you and could barely run a couple hundred meters.
    It takes a couple of weeks to make the transition but then you'll be able to run 5K outdoors as well. It's a number of factors: temperature, wind, pacing, road surfaces changing, inclines changing and, I've been told, a set of muscles that help propel you forward. These muscles aren't trained on the treadmill and take a couple of weeks to adjust and strengthen.
    Keep doing what you're doing. Run outside as often as you can. It's a nicer run and quite exhilerating; much more fun. Just be prepared for a different and more broken run at first. It won't take long and you'll be running 5K on the road and the treadmill.

Nice running!
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Nope. Not dreadmill weather yet. :D

bbdk1v49hanc.jpg

ra76ouewc4vx.jpg

• juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    Nope. Not dreadmill weather yet. :D

I agree.
    ozums30tcjk6.jpg

You will notice -31C and windchill drops that to -39C. I was comfortable - 45 sec/km slower than my summer avg - don't care - I ran - I enjoyed it.
    Tomorrow -11C so a 20C difference overnight = Heat Wave.
  • chunkerson
    chunkerson Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Out side will always win for me. I take my furry running buddy (answers to Bruno) and I'm away. The fresh air, the smile on Bruno's face and the 'morning' from other runners is priceless!

It's emotional exercise as well as physical!
  • Ann262
    Ann262 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Cbean08 wrote: »
    Unfortunately it's quite cold here and my low blood pressure can't take the cold, drops even more. There's an indoor track nearby but it's filled with walkers most of the day. And it's a hassle to try to run around people.
    Pacing is a problem for me without the TM I know. I'm an all or nothing kind of runner. Starting to get out of that mindset with the treadmill. And it's not at 5% incline, but 2.5% (hard to tell since the lowest my model goes is 1.5). I'll try out some of the preprogrammed stuff which varies the incline throughout. No negative though :(

You can take your place on the track too. Stick to the inside part of the track and people will eventually learn to move out of your way.

Trust me, they won't lol. Walked the track a lot since it opened and even speed walking is difficult. There are 20-30 people at any one time and most are seniors. They don't like getting out of the way.

Unfortunately my best times to go are the busiest for walkers.

Reminds me of when I used to swim before work. I would get to the pool before they opened and there was a group of senior ladies who would get there at the same time. They would literally run through the locker room to grab a lane so they could float around for hours. I finally just decided that, since I got there when they did and i paid my membership just like they did, if there wasn't a lane left when I got to the pool, they would just have to share their lane. They didn't like it but I had to get my workout in and get to work and they had no choice.
  • Ann262
    Options
    I would say, get some winter running gear and get outside. I know, it seems daunting at first. I can tell you, 95% of the time, once I get out there, it isn't nearly as bad as I thought it might be and usually very enjoyable. Tread mill running is really not like outdoor running.Treadmills are BORING and they don't replicate the real thing very well. Nowhere will you run where the surface beneath your feet moves for you. I guess, the incline is intended to replicate the difficulty but, as many point out, that sets you up for an over-use injury or imbalance. I will use a treadmill as a last resort when training for a marathon and I need to get the scheduled run in and the weather just won't allow it. The weather conditions that keep me inside are thunder and lightening, heavy winds, sheets of ice and snow too deep to run in. Cold? Nope. I go outside. Rain? I go outside. It may seem hard at first but, I think, you will find it much more enjoyable. I know you mention health issues that make you more sensitive to cold. I don't have those issues. Are they such that the proper winter running gear won't help?
  • jesspen91
    jesspen91 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the people who find treadmill running boring. I just download something that I'm engrossed in on Netflix and the time flies by. Outside running is boring for me as I can't vary my route that much so I see the same boring streets day after day. An audiobook helps though.
  • Ann262
    Options
    jesspen91 wrote: »
    I don't understand the people who find treadmill running boring. I just download something that I'm engrossed in on Netflix and the time flies by. Outside running is boring for me as I can't vary my route that much so I see the same boring streets day after day. An audiobook helps though.

Why can't you vary your routes? I usually drive to a park. sights like these can never get boring for me. I like getting out in nature. I feel it is good for my soul.

a8rs3ksxa970.jpg