Do I need to eat my calories burned during exercise?

Options
I noticed people log and eat back calories burned during exercise. Why is that? Do I eat back all calories or a portion? Any knowledge is highly appreciated.

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You need to eat back some or all of your exercise calories to fuel your increased activity. This will keep you at the same deficit, such as 500 calories per day. The reason many people eat back only some, rather than all, of the exercise calories is because estimates of calorie burn on the MFP database and most exercise equipment are overstated.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I noticed people log and eat back calories burned during exercise. Why is that? Do I eat back all calories or a portion? Any knowledge is highly appreciated.

Yes, if you follow MFP figures.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    People lose weight without exercise. You burn plenty of calories just being alive and getting around. Since your calorie goal already has a deficit built in, when you exercise a lot, not eating can create too big a deficit and have all kinds of consequence, from athletic performance to health like hair and muscle loss.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    kjauthier wrote: »
    I think if you want to lose weight faster then don't eat back calories burned. That being said you put yourself in a starvation mode and the body will actually conserve calories and thus harder to burn off. Furthermore if you don't fuel properly this leads to low quality workouts and hamper metabolism. I think eating these exercise calories back will slow weight loss and prevent this as long as the calorie deficit is low ie 500 cal/day x 7 days =3500 cals or 1 pound/week. Slow and steady wins the race!

Yeah, not really. No such thing as starvation mode as you state it, and you should be eating back at least 50% of exercise calories, as most exercise calories are inflated. You do need to fuel your workouts by eating enough calories, while staying at a healthy deficit.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
  • Munchberry
    Munchberry Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I don't eat back my calories. I put in how active I was and feel that is worked into my nutrition needs. I think the burned calories seems over inflated anyway. BUT if I am hungrier on days I work my rear off, then I will not feel any remorse if I eat an extra piece of chicken or pile an extra serving of veggies. I try never to go to bed hungry. That is miserable.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I've maintained my goal weight for 20 months and eaten back 95% of my Fitbit / Garmin exercise calories earned from running, swimming, and walking, and synced to MFP.

These sports watches are very accurate these days for those types of cardio, plus cycling.

I gather the 50-75% rule for eating exercise calories back came from treadmill or elliptical type machine exercise estimates which don't have your whole fitness profile/history factored in. Also the MFP manual entries for strength type exercise are said to be overestimated.

I've seen people enter MFP exercises such as cooking, and auto repair. I think that's overestimating!! Your daily activity level factors in this sort of thing. Even a sedentary person's.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Assuming that

1. You've got your activity level set at sedentary.
    2. You are diligently and accurately logging your food
    3. The estimates of calories burned are reasonably accurate

Then yes, eat back (at least a portion) of the calories expended on exercise as MFP's net calorie goals have a built in deficit.

There is a bit of trial and error involved as even the best estimates of calories burned during exercise are just estimates (some machines grossly over-estimate energy expenditure) and there is a natural tendency to underestimate how much we eat unless you're diligently weighing/measuring & logging every crumb that passes your lips . It's a matter of dialing in what works for you, if you're not losing weight over time reduce your consumption a bit but be patient, weight loss is not linear and results are not instant.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Assuming that

1. You've got your activity level set at sedentary correctly.
    2. You are diligently and accurately logging your food
    3. The estimates of calories burned are reasonably accurate

Then yes, eat back (at least a portion) of the calories expended on exercise as MFP's net calorie goals have a built in deficit.

There is a bit of trial and error involved as even the best estimates of calories burned during exercise are just estimates (some machines grossly over-estimate energy expenditure) and there is a natural tendency to underestimate how much we eat unless you're diligently weighing/measuring & logging every crumb that passes your lips . It's a matter of dialing in what works for you, if you're not losing weight over time reduce your consumption a bit but be patient, weight loss is not linear and results are not instant.

FIFY

Eating back exercise calories isn't limited to people with sedentary activity levels.
    My activity level has shot up since I retired from my desk job, an extra meal or snack a day just from increased daily activity - I still need to eat back all my exercise calories.

Point 3 is important. Your exercise will dictate which method or methods you should use to estimate with reasonable accuracy. Don't just blindly follow the MFP database, it's fine for some exercise, a poor choice for other exercise.
  • Ann262
    Ann262 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    No, almost everyone overestimates their calories burned during exercise and hen just either doesn't lose or gains more weight, like they walk and burn off 100 calories, estimate they burned off 200, and eat a piece of cake for 300. Even the MFP dietician (if you look it up) does not recommend you do this. I have no idea where this ridiculous idea has come from.

If you are logging accurately, and you exercise alot, you need to take in more calories. I love the MFP helps you do that. It does depend on accurate logging. Did you really eat a 3 oz. piece of chicken or was it more like 6? Was your run really high intensity or was it really moderate?

This thing isn't going to work if you aren't accurate. It may take some time to learn. Most experts tell people to weigh and measure their food to ensure the portions are correct for calorie estimating. Hopefully, after awhile we don't need to do that all the time.

If your calorie target is 1300 and you go run 5 miles, you will need more than 1300 calories a day. Again, it all depends on accuracy.

I suppose, for people who don't feel they can track accurately, and consistently understate their calorie consumption and overstate their exercize intensity, I suppose you could not eat back your exercise calories as a safety net. Then, why bother tracking?

We aren't supposed to spend our lives walking around hungry. If you have exercise calories left and you are hungry, go eat!
  • kellekaj
    kellekaj Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Can i ask a side question to this....
    My fitness calories show under exercise but they used to also appear on the top of the diary : calories - food + exercise = remaining but the + food doesnt show there any more. Ive gone through all setting? Is this now a premium thing? Tia
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    kellekaj wrote: »
    Can i ask a side question to this....
    My fitness calories show under exercise but they used to also appear on the top of the diary : calories - food + exercise = remaining but the + food doesnt show there any more. Ive gone through all setting? Is this now a premium thing? Tia

That is (at least on the web version) at the top of the screen on your "MY HOME" page.