Pregnancy and Exercise

Options
MLHC1
MLHC1 Posts: 678 Member
edited December 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
I've searched for motivational or exercise groups for pregnant women and haven't found any. So I'm starting this thread to find other pregnant women working on growing a healthy baby but also exercising regularly!!

My journey started out well until morning sickness kicked in then I fell behind and out of shape. The holidays were challenging to exercise through but I'm back to myself finally!! Now I am motivated to get back to my Prenatal exercises.

I currently jog / run on my elliptical and do Prenatal Yoga. Although this is excellent, I'd like to incorporate a few arm exercises with small weights.

If you're pregnant and exercising or trying to get back to exercising; feel free to share your story and any possible recommendations for exercising while pregnant :)

Replies

• julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I weight trained throughout my entire pregnancy. I found some really good support and information here: https://www.girlsgonestrong.com/blog/category/pregnancy/
    I also really loved this Pilates video:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8M7X73qN-b0
  • MLHC1
    Options
    I weight trained throughout my entire pregnancy. I found some really good support and information here: https://www.girlsgonestrong.com/blog/category/pregnancy/
    I also really loved this Pilates video:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8M7X73qN-b0

Awesome!! Thank you very much.
  • FitSugar81
    FitSugar81 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I do the power 20 prenatal workouts, light weights, stationary bike, and walking. Feel free to FR.
  • bingo_007
    bingo_007 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I am curious too, currently unable to do sports, but might be able to start mid Jan again after my next visit
  • MLHC1
    Options
    FitSugar81 wrote: »
    I do the power 20 prenatal workouts, light weights, stationary bike, and walking. Feel free to FR.

Awesome! I'll have to look that up. I really want to incorp. some light weights :)
  • MLHC1
    Options
    bingo_007 wrote: »
    I am curious too, currently unable to do sports, but might be able to start mid Jan again after my next visit

I do not do sports but I do run and do Prenatal Yoga. I like the idea of adding in some light weights though :)
  • SarahKate2710
    SarahKate2710 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I’m not pregnant at the moment, that I know of, but we are trying for number 2. I was really sick most of my pregnancy with my son and it took on toll on my workouts but when I felt up to it, I still lifted heavy-ish and jogged several km a week. This time I won’t let the morning sickness get me down, the worst that will happen is I will throw up and I can deal with that.
  • MLHC1
    Options
    I’m not pregnant at the moment, that I know of, but we are trying for number 2. I was really sick most of my pregnancy with my son and it took on toll on my workouts but when I felt up to it, I still lifted heavy-ish and jogged several km a week. This time I won’t let the morning sickness get me down, the worst that will happen is I will throw up and I can deal with that.

I definitely did not push myself during the morning sickness phase. I'm getting back to my exercises and I'm just trying to keep motivated. I also wanted to incorp. some more exercises once I get back to my weekly routine :smile:

Sorry to hear you had such a rough time!! Hopefully number two is coming soon :blush:
  • schellies
    schellies Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Just found out I'm pregnant again after many many losses. Need to start exercising again and feeling better. Depression caused me to gain more weight in last few months than I have in last few years. Need to be healthy enough for this one to stick! It's very cold here in wisco so no outside activities for a bit. I loved to run, but won't be pushing it with exercise :/ I have piyo I might try or look up YouTube videos...idk just need help :/
  • MLHC1
    Options
    schellies wrote: »
    Just found out I'm pregnant again after many many losses. Need to start exercising again and feeling better. Depression caused me to gain more weight in last few months than I have in last few years. Need to be healthy enough for this one to stick! It's very cold here in wisco so no outside activities for a bit. I loved to run, but won't be pushing it with exercise :/ I have piyo I might try or look up YouTube videos...idk just need help :/

Congratulations :smile: I'm sorry to hear about your losses. Just ease back into exercising for now, don't push yourself. If you enjoy yoga you might try it bc it'll help you stay relaxed and focused. Plus it really stretches you where you need it, like hips, legs and back. Start with a few easy exercises a week then progress from there :smile:
  • Jcox300
    Jcox300 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    schellies wrote: »

congrats. go easy on the exercise right now; if you go too intense it can cause stress on baby. which can cause a loss. please go easy. Fingers crossed for you!
  • wyattcarmen
    wyattcarmen Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm 21 weeks and really enjoy jogging and going to the YMCA for Barre and cycling classes. I have a kindergartener as well, so the YMCA is a life saver with child care for my workouts, plus it'll be great to have 6 weeks after delivery and getting back to exercising. As far as exercising goes, my pace as slowed down significantly, but it still feels great to get out there and be healthy for the two of us!