Winter Running?

Options
Hello! I need a push and/or advice about continuing running in the winter. I completed a Couch to 5K program in August and completed four 5Ks since then. My last one was December 3, where it was cold, but manageable. Plus all the people around make it better.

Now I'm looking at single digit weather and icy sidewalks--I don't so much want to walk my dogs in this let alone run.

However, I do want to continue running more 5Ks this year (I'm thinking of doing 40 before 40). I have an elliptical (not the same, I know) and recently discovered (and might be obsessed with) Just Dance on Wii U, so I'm not worried about becoming sedentary. But I made great progress as a runner and don't want to lose it if I go 2 months without running.

Who runs in this weather and how do you manage?

Replies

• OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I run in cold weather a lot. In fact yesterday I did a 3.85 mile run that the entire trail was covered with 2 to 3 inches of snow the whole way, and it was about 20 degrees.

I wear 3 T-shirts, a long sleeve shirt, a hoodie, thick sweat pants, a pull over hat, and good insulated gloves. I also wear my higher cushioned running shoes because the soles are thicker and give more insulation from the ground.

Layers are key, and keeping your head, hands, and feet warm.

Hope this helps.
  • msdemeanor70
    msdemeanor70 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Running in snow is fine, but ice is a different story. Trails may be better than road in this case and definitely trail shoes versus regular running shoes. Layers are key - moisture wicking closest to skin works best for me. Gloves and a balaclava go a long way as well.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    You just need to have appropriate gear. Your local running should be able to give you specific recommendations based on the weather where you live and whether you run on the road or trails.

I run year round in my regular sneakers but it doesn’t get super icy where I am even when it snows, and the streets are usually fine even when the sidewalks are icy. I love running in the snow.

Like others said wear layers. I have some really nice thick fleece lined tights that I wear when it’s below 10 degrees but they’re way too warm otherwise. If it’s really windy I like to wear a rain jacket on top to cut the wind. I also have a pair of gloves that have a waterproof mitten cover that comes on and off. A hat with a pony tail slip in the back is the best if you have long hair; you can layer a ear warmer under too.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I'm another year 'round runner and it gets cold in my neck of the woods, pretty much the only thing that will keep me from running is freezing rain....I always figured there's a very fine line between dedicated and crazy....

The real secret to happy winter running is twofold. The 1st is layers, this may take a little trial and error but you want to be a little chilly when starting your run but you'll warm up quickly enough. The 2nd is shortening your stride, your foot should never get too far forward of your hips. Over the years I've only taken couple of tumbles and, so far, haven't managed to injure myself falling.

Having said that, some of the most accomplished elite runners train on treadmills in winter. I personally don't enjoy them but it's about what you enjoy and what will keep you running & happy. If you have a Planet Fitness close by check them out, they're not well regarded when it comes to strength training but for $10 a month you can have access to club quality treadmills to run on.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    I've run in temps down to -23F. The key is layering. I don't really like treadmills, and my PT told me to stop using them, so outside is my only real option for running, since there's no indoor track near by. I'll have 4-5 layers on top and 3-4 on bottom plus hat, gloves, glove liners, socks, etc...
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Linz91741 wrote: »

I'm not running this winter due to an injury, but the last few winters I've run outside with wind briefs, tights (thick, windproof ones from SportHill if it's below 20°F; light wool-synthetic ones from Icebreaker if it's warmer), wool socks, a wool base-layer shirt, wool softshell jacket, and a wool cap. If it's windy I put on a windproof shell jacket.

Layering is key, as others have said.

I wear my regular shoes most of the time, but I put Kahtoola Nanospikes on them. They provide great traction.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,692 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I can handle cold, but not ice. I've had enough falls while running without adding that uncertainty. If there is ice on the roads, I have a treadmill. I prefer to run outside, but I have limits.

For just cold, experience teaches you what works in what conditions. Most runners start out dressing too warm, and gradually start losing layers. If you leave the house and you're comfortable, then you are probably overdressed. You should be cool the first couple of miles, and comfortable after that. I keep a paper with notes on what clothes combinations work best for me. Runners World has a good webpage called "What to wear" https://www.runnersworld.com/what-to-wear but it is a little too conservative for me.
  • huntersvonnegut
    huntersvonnegut Posts: 1,177 Member
    Options
    I don't run, but I walk. As others have said: Layering! Also, I can't speak for the other traction products others have recommended but ever since I got a pair of Stabilicers Lite from L.L. Bean, I've never had a problem with ice or snow.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I would like to comment on those who will not run on snow/ice.

It is great in developing all of the core stabilizer muscles. You just have to shorten your stride and keep your center of gravity low.

Trail running is also good for this.
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Yes, I do. It sucks sometimes, but for me is about the layers.
    First, I wear three layers, a tank top, a “dry fit” long sleeve pullover and a fleece zip up over that. Gloves are a must. And then I wear a fleece ski mask because it’s so windy here and the wind can kill.
    Sweatpants on the bottom, with tall socks.
    I don’t know how to help you with the icy sidewalks because that is an issue for me too. I usually just run in the grass between the sidewalk and the street when it’s icy.

You might be chilly that first mile, but once you get warm it will be fine. Don’t overdress to the point that you will be hot half way through your run.
  • chunkerson
    chunkerson Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Wrap up warm and then strip as you heat up. Wear clothes year you can wrap round your waist and ear muffs are a must.

Keep running, the tougher the conditions the bigger the high
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Just do it. :D

Seriously, once you get moving you won't notice the cold. As others have said, dress in layers and protect your face and neck if it is windy. Good gloves and good socks are a must (especially if your feet get wet). Check with your local running store for advice specific to your area.

This morning it was 13 F and several inches of snow along the river path. I managed 5 miles at about 30-45 seconds per mile slower than my normal pace. Because of the snow it was still a great workout.

Good luck.

qkapxkr2gvay.jpg
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    Linz91741 wrote: »
    Hello! I need a push and/or advice about continuing running in the winter.

@Linz91741 As others have said the real secret is layering - Find what works for you. What works for me would leave most people at the Hospital in Hypothermic Shock.
    One of the best pieces of advice I have seen for runners new to cold temperatures is plan a route that will allow you to loop ( 1-2 km loops ) back past your Car/House/Gym/Work etc. ( a safety refuge ) where you can stop to make quick clothing adjustments, additions/deletions until you get a better feel for your body. Remember you should start out feeling a little chilled - once you start running you will quickly warmup.
    Some people have breathing issues in the cold Simple advice - slow down so you can breath so your nose and wear a fleece balaclava or some type of wrap that you can adjust up/down on the fly with mitts on.

If you are Logging your runs in a book, start a Clothing versus Weather Log in the back of it.
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    6 km along the River bank. My Garmin did not like the -32C temp and froze up after 1.5km. It was actually a very comfortable run as I had consulted my Clothing Log for an equivalent Temperature run and dressed based on my historical notes.
    Light Wicking Tech long sleeve, Mid weight long sleeve fleece and MEC Cycling Jacket.
    Light weight Fleece pants, Mid weight tights, MEC Tech Climbing pants, Goretex shell.
    Balega socks and Smart Wool Ski Socks ( calf high ).
    Fleece Neck warmer/tube, Fleece Toque-e/w ear flap extensions, Mitts with fleece liner.
    At the North end of Town I had Frost Snow ( humidity dropping out of the air due to the cold ) and at the south end perfectly clear with zero wind. The climbing pants were actually visibly damp in places and the fleece top had frostical's on it under the coat. Could have left the MEC Climbing pants at home and still been comfy. Not to mention traditional Eye lash Icicles.

Here are a few good links from RW on cold weather running gear.
    https://www.runnersworld.com/for-beginners-only/the-newbie-guide-to-running-when-its-cold
    and a link to a gear selector / guide that some find helpful. https://www.runnersworld.com/what-to-wear

Happy Trails. Come join us in the January Running Challenge. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10625700/january-2018-running-challenge/p1
  • Linz91741
    Linz91741 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody! You have all convinced me that I could do it...I guess I need to go shopping!
  • ICameToGetDown
    ICameToGetDown Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Dress for 20° warmer than the starting temp. After 1 mile, you will be warmer.
    Best winter gear is wool socks - even running in snow, my feet are toasty.
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Why not sign up for January’s race at your pace? https://www.raceatyourpace.co.uk

I set myself the 75mi goal for December to keep me going through the dark cold month and it worked - made me go out when the sofa was calling my name! The great thing is you can run or walk so if you get ill or injured you can still walk to make up your miles. Check it out!