Slimfast, anyone else doing it?

Options
Hi, I'm Kelly. I'm 31 & sugary treats/soda are my downfall! I'm on the slim fast diet right now. I just started it. My goal is to use this to train myself not to cheat and to stick with it, then cycle in clean eating to replace the shakes. I'm worried I will fail since there is no accountability for this diet. There is no one to say, "Hey, put that soda down or don't eat that cupcake!". Lol. I was just wondering if anyone else was on this diet and had the same fears.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Slim fast shakes have a lot of sugar in.
  • kr31lly615
    kr31lly615 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Why do they say less than 1g of sugar? Is it hiding in something?
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    kr31lly615 wrote: »

The ready made bottles are more than 1g

https://www.slimfast.co.uk/products/high-protein-meal-replacement-shakes/simply-vanilla-flavour-shake
  • kr31lly615
    Options
    Thank you for the feedback!
  • CowboySar
    CowboySar Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I agree, stay away from the fad dieting. Just clean healthy eating, measure everything, log everything, and through in a little walking and you will be well on your way to a change to a healthy lifestyle. Diets are not sustainable, healthy eating is sustainable. Get your calories and macros in and it will take you a long way.

I used to be 320lbs, I tried all the fad diets and always failed. It was only when I started tracking what I ate, ate health food in health portions, and began walking was I able to lose anything. I am currently 200 lbs, and have lost 120 lbs in 18-24 months (lost track lol), and continue to eat health food in health portions. I do allow some indulgences here and there.

This site will also be a great support network for you as well.

Best of luck
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Is must be loaded with fake sugar now. The point is sweet tasting chocolate for breakfast, sweet tasting strawberry for lunch is not going to break the cycle. "Clean" eating (whatever your definition) is not required for maintenance either. Eating LESS CALORIES is required.

I've tried Slim Fast, Low Carb......and many more TEMPORARY solutions to my permanent problem.

My temporary solutions worked like this - I lost weight for as long as I could stand to use the product (Slim Fast) or as long as I could eliminate foods (low carb).....but when I went back to my "regular" eating habits, I regained the weight.

The problem with these types of temporary diets is they teach you nothing about maintenance. Are you going to start measuring & logging food after you get to goal? Because even "clean" calories need to be counted. It's portion sizes for regular food that are my downfall. Portion sizes for "clean" foods might become yours.
  • kr31lly615
    Options
    I am! Doing slim fast is kind of like a test for me. I need to control my eating habits. I am an emotional eater and it's really hard for me to seem to get a grip on it.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I found that having go-to snacks that weren't so high-calorie helped a bit. Kind of a "Don't eat X, eat Y—measured and weighed" mentality. So, popcorn instead of chips, a pre-measured portion of jelly beans instead of a huge bag. For me, emotional eating is mindless eating while miserable. Just making it mindful helped. (So did exercise, but I started small with that.)
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    I am! Doing slim fast is kind of like a test for me. I need to control my eating habits. I am an emotional eater and it's really hard for me to seem to get a grip on it.

Why test yourself? Why not learn to nourish yourself with yummy food that you enjoy eating in portion sizes that put you in a calorie deficit... it's a whole lot more sustainable in the long run.
  • willnorton
    willnorton Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    if it helps you get on track.. do it..... i do the Atkins shakes... little less carbs and the milk chocolate tastes amazing.... what i say is..... drinking the Slim Fast shakes cant be as damaging as the foods I have been eating prior to starting them... my body can get on track and i can then eleminate them down the road for something different.... look at the ingredients in both SlimFast and Atkins Shakes, side by side and compare them..... i just try to stay away from the carbs... good luck...hard work.....Merry New Year
  • Slasher09
    Slasher09 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    For better or for worse....whatever method you use to lose the weight you (in general) need to keep up once you've lost the weight. When I was 19 I would lose weight with shakes and other liquid replacements...and then would gain it all back when I stopped. Now at 29 I work as an ER nurse and often don't get a chance to pee let alone eat during a shift...and when I'm home with two little kids I forget meals a lot and overeat later. So....now shakes are a normal part of my day because a lot of days its the only way I'm getting the meal. That is sustainable to ME, thus it would make sense if I used a shake (in general, theres a lot of crap in specific slim fast shakes) to lose weight.

If shakes are your thing I recommend something a little less....processed? You could make a really tasty, nutritious and cost-effective shake with some things like whey powder, almond milk, fruit and veg, greek yogurt, etc. If I remember correctly the slim fast diet is a very low calorie (2 shakes about 250cals each with a 500 cal dinner- so about 1000cals a day?) diet that isn't very sustainable. You could make a good shake as a meal replacement on the go a great part of a sustainable diet if that is something that YOU can maintain.
  • amyteacake
    amyteacake Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I've done the slim fast diet before and it made me hungrier than if I was off it. It doesn't teach you proper eating habits that will help with weight loss and keeping the weight off.

If you live an activestyle these might not be the best thing. I did it while I was at college and I was exhausted during it. It might affect you differently but they're not the best things ever.

And all it is is fiber. You will be sitting on the toilet all day. It's not worth it.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Chocolate shakes replacing actual food are a poor test (sorry). I understand the frustration but this won't change habits.

Being an emotional eater you need to come to grips with the "why".....check your local library for a book called The Beck Diet Solution. The book focuses on the psychology of eating habits.
  • Slasher09
    Slasher09 Posts: 316 Member
    Options

I think that THIS thought process is setting yourself up to fail. You mention you are an emotional eater (me too!). If you deprive too much your biology will make you more hungry and you are way more likely to overeat...and because you are an emotional eater you are more likely to beat yourself up for "failing" and thus continuing the cycle of: self hate-restrict-splurge-self hate. You are going to be way more likely to successfully change habits if you are eating enough for your body and having choices that are nourishing and sustaining. If you are fatigued, famished and hangry that is just a recipe for bad choices later, and bad choices will lead to more bad choices from the emotional stand point.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Would you hire Cujo as your babysitter just to see if he could be trusted?

You have to work on your eating habits, not control them - set reasonable boundares, and that is not replacing food with sugary drinks - and stop eating instead of handling emotions.
  • teagrobert320
    teagrobert320 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    i was told once when yr running a cal deficit u have to get used to feeling hungary and make friends with that feeling lol