1590 calories -seems like a lot?

Options
Hi everyone! I'm excited for starting my journey, I know the whole "new year, new me" thing is cheesy and overdone, but I hope I can use the excitement, energy, and beginning of the New Year to make a real change in my health

I have been given 1590 calories to start with the estimate to lose 1lb a week, that seems like a lot of calories?

I'm 5'3, 187.6 (got a new scale for Christmas haha) 39 y/o F

I'd love to have some friends here to help me along my way!

Replies

• dholt8461
    dholt8461 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Remember that is the recommendation. You can always eat slightly under that but know that is your limit. But with that said don’t go too far below that. As you lose the totals will be less.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm excited for starting my journey, I know the whole "new year, new me" thing is cheesy and overdone, but I hope I can use the excitement, energy, and beginning of the New Year to make a real change in my health

I have been given 1590 calories to start with the estimate to lose 1lb a week, that seems like a lot of calories?

I'm 5'3, 187.6 (got a new scale for Christmas haha) 39 y/o F

I'd love to have some friends here to help me along my way!

Why don't you try it for a month and see?
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    That sounds about right. I'm also 5'3. My starting weight was 254, and to lose 1lb/week, MFP gave me 1720. And the weight came off just fine with that. Now, I'm 157.8 and to lose 1lb/week would have me around 1240—which is a little low for me, so I've reset it to 1/2lb and eating 1450 (plus half my exercise).

You can friend me if you like. My diary is open.
  • purplicious86
    purplicious86 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Seems okay to start with. Try it a few weeks and see how it goes.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Trust MFP, it works
  • WhereIsPJSoles
    WhereIsPJSoles Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Just go with it. When you get down to a lower weight your calorie allowance will probably drop so enjoy 1590 while its there!
  • doittoitgirl
    doittoitgirl Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Stick with it and I'm sure you'll see results. It seems a lot of folks want to drop down to 1200cals immediately at the start. Probably because we live in very diet centered societies and diets usually equate to MASSIVE cuts of calories or food groups. It's usually better to make small gradual cuts to your intake and keep it sustainable for the long term. I've seen many people here (including myself) that dropped to the minimum cals, were hungry constantly, got frustrated, binged out, and failed to maintain restrictive diets. Slow and steady wins the weight loss race.
  • jrae75
    jrae75 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    My starting weight was 185, and I'm 5'5. My calorie allowance is 1560. I started this process in June and I have lost just shy of 30lbs. It hasn't been "fast" but it has been consistently going down, and I do average about a pound a week. On the days that I exercise (elliptical, walking, pilates or yoga), I get a couple hundred calories more. My food scale is my best little buddy, and I've never felt deprived or hungry staying within my calorie allowance. If I get to the point that I stop losing before I get to my goal, I may have to adjust it down. For now, though, it works just fine. Trust the plan and stick with it. Good luck!
  • fittoride36
    fittoride36 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, I'll eat the 1560 and post again in a month!
  • Beaudom91
    Beaudom91 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    It's really not very much, I am 5ft4in and 127 pounds and losing steadily on 1625 calories a day
  • DmaMfz
    DmaMfz Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, I'll eat the 1560 and post again in a month!

Can’t emphasized enough, use a food scale! Save yourself a month and the frustration of wondering why you’re not losing (because you eyeballed it or used measuring cups).

They’re ridiculously easy, fast, and cheap.
  • bribrihens
    bribrihens Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Do let us know how it goes! My limit is 1200 and it's really hard to stick to..
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    bribrihens wrote: »
    Do let us know how it goes! My limit is 1200 and it's really hard to stick to..

its based on the data you gave MFP - reduce your deficit if its not sustainable.