Too many exercise cals

Options
I have linked my Fitbit to calculate my cals today I’ve had a 6k run and over 12k steps it’s given me maybe 1000 extra cals, I won’t eat them but I don’t trust the number .. can anyone shed any light?

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Why wouldn't you eat at least some of them? This is how MFP is designed, your calorie deficit was built in before exercise. A larger deficit helps you lose faster, but the price is often a larger % of lean muscle mass loss.

Should you trust your FitBit day one, 100%? No of course not, it's an estimate. Many MFP users start by eating back 50% of exercise calories, then adjust that number up or down based on actual results.

Here's a good place to start: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10098937/faq-syncing-logging-food-exercise-calorie-adjustments-activity-levels-accuracy/p1
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    greedygob wrote: »
    I have linked my Fitbit to calculate my cals today I’ve had a 6k run and over 12k steps it’s given me maybe 1000 extra cals, I won’t eat them but I don’t trust the number .. can anyone shed any light?

Do you have your activity level set at Sedentary on MFP? What are your goals - weight loss? How much and what rate of loss did you select?
    Is the activity you had today fairly normal or was this an unusual amount of exercise/steps?

FitBit and MFP work by truing up the amount of calories MFP predicts you would burn based on the stats you entered during set up, and what FitBit thinks you are actually burning based on the activity you've had that day. If you choose Sedentary, and you aren't (which 12k steps is definitely not Sedentary) then the adjustments will be large. Whether or not the 1000 cals is accurate or not would need to be tested over time and that's why so many people start with only eating back about 50-75% of their adjustment to see if they lose weight at the desired rate.

I can tell you that I've had my FitBit for 3+ years and have been using it with MFP that whole time, the adjustments were accurate for me once I got all the settings consistent. I used it while losing and now in maintenance and always eating back the adjustments. I think they become more accurate over time as FitBit starts to understand your habits and patterns.

Hope that helps - if you answer the questions people will be able to help determine if your settings are correct and aligned with your goals.
  • greedygob
    greedygob Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    That’s really does help, thanks for taking the time to reply. I have an office job very sedentary however I try to run three times a week averaging 8k each time so on those days I find my cals are super high for exercise.

I am set at sedentary as I’m more this than on my feet all day.

You’re right though it’s just very hard to see an extra 1000 cals and use them!

I don’t really hve a set amount to lose as I tend to go by dress size as running seems to help me trim up rather than weigh less, but I’d like to see if I can average 2lb a week and that’s what I set it at

Something I read mentioned a negative adjustment ?

Thanks all for the replies I’m working tomorro
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    greedygob wrote: »
    That’s really does help, thanks for taking the time to reply. I have an office job very sedentary however I try to run three times a week averaging 8k each time so on those days I find my cals are super high for exercise.

I am set at sedentary as I’m more this than on my feet all day.

You’re right though it’s just very hard to see an extra 1000 cals and use them!

I don’t really hve a set amount to lose as I tend to go by dress size as running seems to help me trim up rather than weigh less, but I’d like to see if I can average 2lb a week and that’s what I set it at

Something I read mentioned a negative adjustment ?

Thanks all for the replies I’m working tomorro

There is a setting for negative calorie adjustments. This setting would take calories away if you didn't meet your designated activity level.

2 pounds a week is more for very overweight people.....like 75+ pounds. If you've got less than 15 pounds to lose a 1/2 pound a week weight loss goal is appropriate.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,686 Member
    Options
    Does the 12000 steps include your 6k run? If so, then it is overcounting or double-counting. If not, then 1000 may not be inappropriate, depending on your weight. It may also be counting arm movements used in other activities, like weights or even knitting.

Calories burned running is .6 x weight x distance in miles. (Sorry, I don't know what it is in kilometers.) It is easy to figure out how many calories you are actually burning when you run. Those you should eat back.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Does the 12000 steps include your 6k run? If so, then it is overcounting or double-counting. If not, then 1000 may not be inappropriate, depending on your weight. It may also be counting arm movements used in other activities, like weights or even knitting.

Calories burned running is .6 x weight x distance in miles. (Sorry, I don't know what it is in kilometers.) It is easy to figure out how many calories you are actually burning when you run. Those you should eat back.

A FitBit takes care of all that and is likely more accurate than general calculations based on population averages.