Konjac to curb hunger.

Options
I expect this has been discussed before but can I have opinions on using Konjac powder to help curb hunger pangs please.

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    1200 cals is the bare minimum. How much weight do you have to lose, and how many lbs per week are you aiming for? Are you eating back exercise calories?

If you are genuinely hungry in the evening, and you just started eating at this level, it's possible you're simply not eating enough. If you have made a drastic change to your diet, it might be better off easing into the changes and giving your body a chance to get used to it.

Also make sure you are eating enough protein, fat, and fiber as some combo of these generally helps people feel satiated.
  • MissyCHF
    MissyCHF Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Kimmy, I'm old a pretty immobile, mfp allowed me 1200, that's fine because so far I've lost 32lbs. I'd like to lose another stone (14lbs) for the sake of my blood pressure and arthritic joints. It's just that at times I get hunger pangs. Tonight I'm OK but at other times I feel I need help.

For breakfast/lunch I usually have a bowl of muesli, berry fruit & plain yogurt. I'd thought of mixing the konjac with the yogurt.
  • MissyCHF
    Options
    May I wish you all a happy and healthy 2018. :smile:
  • MissyCHF
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I'm not bedridden but I don't move much and I'm very slow when I do. I have a mobility scooter so use that for shopping. I will try it up a notch and see what that does for my weight loss. Thank you.

Lol, my goal is still 1200Kcls... Really it's just the odd day that I mind.

It's 11.59pm here so Happy New Year!! :smiley:
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Happy new year! <3
  • wefts
    wefts Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I use konjac and oat fiber both are 0 cal the oat fiber I do not like alone it has a powdery flavor /texture but with the konjac it smooths out and has the texture of jello that is just starting to set which I find pleasant , I make a smoothie , konjac is a fiber and it slows down digestion by jelling the liquid you take it with .I use it every day but it is important to make sure you have adequate liquid to make it work right and make sure you do not get constipated from over doing the fiber , I use Walmarts crystal lite it is called Great value orange early rise about 10 cal per 16 oz , I make a smoothie with 1/2 tsp konjack 3 Tbsp oat bran and the orange drink a few ice cubes then depending on what is on hand I add 1/2 banana 1/4 scoop vanilla protein powder . flax seed , chia seed , spinach . each day is different the smoothie is my sip between meals to keep me from eating junk food go to some times I have a second with just the orange drink the konjac and some fruit or veggies ( yesterday I tossed in the stems from makeing kale chips the day before ! ) the important thing is water suspend it in water so the gelling effect works to block hunger . all the other things add for fiber and vitamins . I am on a 1400 cal plan and I still get hungry if my fiber is not kept high . I started out using the konjac 1 tsp at a time ( it makes the drink too viscous) but it is better 1/2 tsp up to twice a day . and it will lump if you do not mix carefully so I use a nutribullet then there is never a lump .
  • MissyCHF
    Options
    Thank you wefts, there isn't a Walmart here so I have order some Best Naturals Glucomannan Weight Loss Pure Powder from Konjac Root, from Amazon. Will it mix with natural yogurt? I thought of adding it to my brunch.
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    When I require it I generally
    Take it 30mins before my meal
    With a lot of water
  • MissyCHF
    Options
    watts6151 wrote: »
    With a lot of water
    Lol, I think I may need an awful lot of water!
    Do you find it helps with hunger pangs?

• MissyCHF
    Options
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    I use food to curb hunger.
    But I can only have 1200 kcals........ So I need something that's calorie free.

• watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    With a lot of water
    Lol, I think I may need an awful lot of water!
    Do you find it helps with hunger pangs?

I find it helps when my calories get low.
    Certainly not magic but it helps
  • MissyCHF
    Options
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    Honestly, you should have hunger pangs. That’s a problem. Are you being overly restrictive?
    I restrict myself to 1200 calories because mfi worked it out to that and really for a year that's all I've needed - I'm 5ft 3ins, now weigh 158lbs and old. I want to lose another 14lbs to feel (not at an ideal) but at my comfortable weight. If I can avoid hunger pangs and so temptation, it will make my life a little easier. :smile:

• MissyCHF
    Options
    I find it helps when my calories get low.
    Certainly not magic but it helps
    That's all I need, a little help along the way..... :smile:

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Okay, but you're really close to maintenance now and you might be running too aggressive a deficit. We're the same height and almost exactly the same weight. I found that 1240 (to lose 1lb/week the last time I recalculated) was just too low, so I reset my goal to 1/2-lb and I'm doing way better on 1450.
  • doittoitgirl
    doittoitgirl Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Eat more. You don't need to feel like you're starving to lose weight. 1200 cals is certainly not necessary at 5'3" and 158lbs. Take it from someone who is 5'1" and went through my 1200cal phase already. It landed me right back where I started. 1200cals is for people who are EXTREMELY sedentary, extremely small statured, or have very low metabolism (think seniors). If you're younger to middle aged, in school or a desk job, you probably still need to eat more than 1200 cals. Add in another healthy snack at least. Don't ignore your body's hunger pains telling you you need to eat something.