Invited over for dinner

Options
Reflection on the biggest challenge this season I would say it was being invited over for dinner. Friends and family went through great lenngths to make huge meals.. Mostly of foods I'm trying to avoid... What do other people do in this situation?

Replies

• dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I "sample" it all. A sample being not quite A full serving spoon full. Non-gravied up vegetables or salad full up over half my plate. No rolls...my preferance. Dessert again is just a part of a spoonful. The name of the game is to eat to satisfaction, not draw attention to yourself and to avoid out of control behavior.
    If alcohol is served I have a half of one drink because I need to stay conscious of my behavior.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Do not avoid just be mindful and in control.
  • notreallychris
    notreallychris Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Reflection on the biggest challenge this season I would say it was being invited over for dinner. Friends and family went through great lenngths to make huge meals.. Mostly of foods I'm trying to avoid... What do other people do in this situation?

If you're avoiding food for medical reasons then tell your host.

Otherwise, eat portion sizes that fit your calories and enjoy your friends and familys company.

As usual... +1. Probably overkill to whip out the food scale lol
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I usually fill half my plate with veggies. If there are calorie heavy sides, I usually eat a small half fist sized serving. I also have a palm sized serving of protein:-)
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    eat before you go.

sample a bit of everything.

i have major ocd food issues, so people dont invite us to eat, and if they do, they know im ... me and not to take anything regarding what i eat or dont, personally.

dont get so caught up in your food you cant enjoy your life and enjoy time with friends.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Whenever I am invited over for dinner, I try to get an idea of what will be served. Usually the host is excited to talk about the menu anyways. I drop a simple line like, "thanks for the invite, I can't wait! Any idea what we're eating?" If you ask it in an intrigued/excited way then it doesn't cause any questioning or alarm. Or, offer to bring a wine pairing, so then you have reason to know what they're serving.

Then plan ahead, eat a regular sized portion and enjoy the time with friends/family. Dinner parties are about being social, not about gorging yourself.
  • Chapmanwife
    Chapmanwife Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Cbean08 wrote: »
    Whenever I am invited over for dinner, I try to get an idea of what will be served. Usually the host is excited to talk about the menu anyways. I drop a simple line like, "thanks for the invite, I can't wait! Any idea what we're eating?" If you ask it in an intrigued/excited way then it doesn't cause any questioning or alarm. Or, offer to bring a wine pairing, so then you have reason to know what they're serving.

Then plan ahead, eat a regular sized portion and enjoy the time with friends/family. Dinner parties are about being social, not about gorging yourself.

Thanks! I like the idea of bringing a side dish and being helpful. Moderation for everything is usually my style but the doc days differently these days. I don't like explaining my health issues since we are getting together to have fun. :) Good idea to talk ahead of time . thanks!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Sample what's put on my plate but stop eating when I'm satisfied even if half of my plate is still full.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Cbean08 wrote: »

Thanks! I like the idea of bringing a side dish and being helpful. Moderation for everything is usually my style but the doc days differently these days. I don't like explaining my health issues since we are getting together to have fun. :) Good idea to talk ahead of time . thanks!

If you have a real medical reason, there is nothing wrong with popping that in somewhere, just keep it casual and light-hearted. I don't eat a lot of dairy (lactose problems) and I don't eat any pork (personal preference). If I ask, "what are you making," and they respond with "potatoes and bacon-wrapped scallops," I'll say something like, "sounds delish. I don't eat pork, but I'm sure my boyfriend will love it!" Then, I've already put it out there that I won't be eating the dish. The host can then either offer an alternative meal or ask you to bring something.