Need help sticking with it

Options
Happy New Year! I'm here because I'm a hibitual starter and giver upper. I've struggled with my weight and body image for too long. I'm a wife, mom with three children and have a very stressful career; those should not be excuses, rather motivation for living an even healthier lifestyle, however that's not been the case. I always start full force and then within weeks giveup. Let's face it, it's easier to give up then to stick with it. BUT now HAS to be the time. For my health and the health of my children who two of them suffer with their weight and they are far too young for this. I could use all the support I can get and hope to find it here. I have no idea where to start cause I've tried it all. Any advice or tips or "atta girls" are appreciated. Thank you and I look forward to cheering you all on as well!

Replies

• kaylaschell1996
    kaylaschell1996 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Add me!
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,467 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Start a food diary. Start listing what you eat and drink. Leave the numbers until later, after logging your intake is a habit. If you forget at some point, go back and fill in as best you can.

After you start tracking your numbers make this a point- you track everything all the time. Not just your good days. Make tracking the heart of your efforts. It will see you through.

And it never needs to be perfect, it just needs to be a good faith effort. The only way to mess it up is making a conscious decision to quit. Don’t.
  • optionsguy88
    optionsguy88 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Great advice above^^. You can be successful. This year will be yours
  • arnnanz
    arnnanz Posts: 34 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I'm exactly the same, and so over it. Happy to be an accountability buddy or someone to panic-message when you're feeling overwhelmed! (that goes for all of you too)
  • nicole3921
    nicole3921 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Any of you ladies feel free to add me as well. Looking for new motivational gals to help get me back on track
  • maryjennifer
    maryjennifer Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Add me looking for support as well
  • RacheLoko
    RacheLoko Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    From personal experience I’ve found the best motivation is a solid support group and focusing on all victories of your journey not just the biggest goal. I’m back at it again and can use some motivation myself! Feel free to add me!
  • NikkiLouBranham
    NikkiLouBranham Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the great advice! I'm going to really focus on one day at a time, small goals (not 10lbs in a week, like I've set in the past) and REALLY tracking everything. Let's do this!!
  • kanuck83
    kanuck83 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Add me, I'm in the same boat and looking for accountability!
  • klmulhern
    klmulhern Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Looking for support as well
  • lancenuovo
    lancenuovo Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year! I'm here because I'm a hibitual starter and giver upper. I've struggled with my weight and body image for too long. I'm a wife, mom with three children and have a very stressful career; those should not be excuses, rather motivation for living an even healthier lifestyle, however that's not been the case. I always start full force and then within weeks giveup. Let's face it, it's easier to give up then to stick with it. BUT now HAS to be the time. For my health and the health of my children who two of them suffer with their weight and they are far too young for this. I could use all the support I can get and hope to find it here. I have no idea where to start cause I've tried it all. Any advice or tips or "atta girls" are appreciated. Thank you and I look forward to cheering you all on as well!

i am so with you. amazing family , but master of lists: planning over action, and they dont believe me when I start each time....struggle so much. mutual support here~!
  • iammichelle7
    iammichelle7 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Just wow I totally relate and find myself in the same position! I deserve to experience success in not just losing weight and looking good but conquering my old self sabotaging, procrastinating, self doubting find an excuse to quit self! I deserve to experience my life through a grounded and confident mind body and spirit! I want love on another level, aa level that opens me up to higher potential!
  • import_soul
    import_soul Posts: 23 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Greetings fellow flake! I, too, am starting again fresh. Feel free to add me!
  • mysteps2beauty
    mysteps2beauty Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    All or nothing. Big procrastinator (which someone who is a perfectionist). That is me but less so since 3 months ago.

Try to just change one thing at a time. Like drink your 8 cups of water everyday. That there is huge for a lot of people. Have it replace whatever else you are drinking. That will save you loads of calories and will do wonders for digestion system.

If you can, load this app on your phone so that it won't just be on your desktop. It will help you track better.

It will get easier as time moves on. During the holidays I didn't post calories. Didn't want to. But I still came here to support others and get ideas. Now I'm ready to get back in the saddle again. I gained a few pounds but it was worth it celebrating with family. No big deal. This is a life long venture. Make it enjoyable.
  • thickface59
    thickface59 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey it's great that you're committing.It empowers me to do so too. I like Wizzybeth's idea about taking 5 deep breaths and repeating that I have goals and a desire for a pain-free life. I also like the small realistic goals idea. I'm going to set the following:
    a) daily calorie deficit
    b) 8 glasses water a day
    c) 50 gms weight loss a day
    d) no food before noon and after 8pm
    e) log in to support others at least 4 times a week

Thanks
  • carmel199
    carmel199 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    What I am trying this year is monthly goals. To me that seems more attainable than stating want to this much weight. I need to lose of course but I definitely need to be healthy. Feel free to add me.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Hey it's great that you're committing.It empowers me to do so too. I like Wizzybeth's idea about taking 5 deep breaths and repeating that I have goals and a desire for a pain-free life. I also like the small realistic goals idea. I'm going to set the following:
    a) daily calorie deficit
    b) 8 glasses water a day
    c) 50 gms weight loss a day
    d) no food before noon and after 8pm
    e) log in to support others at least 4 times a week

Thanks

You might consider just choosing 1 or 2 of the things from your list. When trying to build new habits, or eliminate bad ones, it's best to only choose 1 or 2 things at a time to work on.

Also, I hope by item c) you don't mean that you expect to see that kind of movement on the scale every day, or even regularly. Maybe you mean as an average over time, but most people express that in weight loss per week. It is completely unrealistic to see daily loss on the scale, as the human body has lots of functions that play with your daily numbers and can mask fat loss. I mention it because this is one reason why many get discouraged and give up on the process. You can weigh daily, but only view your weight loss in terms of a weekly average *over time*, more than a month if you are a woman especially. Many use a trending app for this, as it evens out the fluctuations and shows your long term trend. A great post on the subject:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10084670/it-is-unlikely-that-you-will-lose-weight-consistently-i-e-weight-loss-is-not-linear/p1