Replies

• sosteach
    sosteach Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Try exercise
  • SandraDixon1945
    SandraDixon1945 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi, I an 73 yr old, I gained 3 pounds this year. That does not sound so bad, right. I have gained 22 pounds in the last 4 years. So I have gone from 170 to 192. Before that I had gone from 220 down to 170. My goal is to become more aware of my body and my weight. To lose weight you have to really want it to work hard for it.
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I don’t think there is any answer to how to boost your metabolism- just good advice on how to burn more calories.

I empathize tho, and I know It is doubly hard when you can see a marked decrease in calories you can eat before you start to gain weight and then have to face the ‘it is all just in your mind’ junk here.

I too see a marked decrease in calories I can consume. Eating same as I did a few years ago would mean gaining 10 or more pounds a year. And I wasn’t exercising then, I am now. The difference? Now I’m post menopausal. It sucks, but I’m just having to adjust and adapt to a LOT of hunger.
  • jewel191
    jewel191 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love this thread! I just joined MFP. I’m a 49 year old woman and I had dropped 75 lbs several years ago only to now have regained it all back and more! I blamed it on so many things...age and metabolism etc but I think it’s more about not moving enough and not realizing how many calories I was consuming! Plus I think those weekend cocktails really caught up in the end! I’m hoping so much to loose the weight for good this time! I haven’t worn shorts or a swimsuit in three years.. no way to live!!!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,868 Member
    Options
    Thankfully, my metabolism hasn't stopped yet!! :grin:

To burn a few more calories, I exercise every day. :)
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA9AdlhB18o

(British actress has her metabolic rate tested. BBC.)

That's a good video. When I saw that massive fruit salad, I knew that she was underreporting. That is about 5 servings of fruit, and then yogurt on top. And not all berries, which have the least calories--probably at least 600 calories right there. Which is okay if you are accurate about it and it fits in your goal.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    DebyDear wrote: »
    Hi - I am 61. Exercise is certainly important. BTW, I learned that exercising in the morning, say 5:30am to 6:30am is optimal for weight loss. It will give you a slow rise in energy throughout the day when you need it, then steadily decline towards bedtime, when you need to sleep. Here is a link that better explains these findings: WebMD

Also, whatever time of day suits you best, it is better to eat some high-protein food before exercise, to prevent muscle loss. Hope this helps.

So if I don't do my workout until 9:30am and often exercise in the evening, I'm not optimizing my weight loss? Please provide evidence for this claim.