Bed time cravings

Options
My last meal was ~ 4 hours ago, and I'm ready to go to bed, but I am having pre-bedtime cravings. I still have some calories left in my day, but I'd rather not use them if I don't have to. Any suggestions how to deal with this type of situation? (I am drinking alot of water)

Replies

• DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    When I feel like that I eat something if I have leftover calories for the day. Why not? You’ll still lose weight when you’re in a calorie deficit, whether you consume the calories at night or in the light of day.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    How many calories? You can save them for another day or eat them now. But if you're leaving a lot on the table that could be dangerous.
  • chestinator
    chestinator Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    4 hours is a long time in my book mate especially if you're an active person. Like the others have said you could just eat if you have calories left. This begs the question though whether you have something you can eat? If it fits your macros then go for it otherwise just berate yourself for not being prepared and eat a decent breakfast in the morning. If you have nothing for breakfast, give yourself an uppercut, go forage something and review your meal plans going forward. Enjoy! :smiley:
  • fat_engineer
    fat_engineer Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    This is the worst for me too!
  • YOLO145
    YOLO145 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Also discriminating between hunger and cravings is a good skill to build...
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    HellYeahItsKriss Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Cause, everyone needs to eat breakfast, right?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Is it just cravings or are you going to bed hungry? If its just a small amount of calories to fulfill a specific food you want to enjoy, do that.

Going to bed hungry not such a good idea. One night night won't hurt per se, but not eating all your calories consistently can be unhealthy.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Why don't you want to use calories you have left over? If you're not hungry and you have a few left, sure save them for tomorrow. But there's no reason to leave calories on the table and go to bed wanting to eat.

I could never go 4 hours after dinner without eating :) . I always make sure to save 100-200 cals for a before bed snack!
  • deimosphoebos
    deimosphoebos Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Why don't you want to use calories you have left over? If you're not hungry and you have a few left, sure save them for tomorrow. But there's no reason to leave calories on the table and go to bed wanting to eat.

I could never go 4 hours after dinner without eating :) . I always make sure to save 100-200 cals for a before bed snack!

The calories I have left are exercise calories. If I calculate my workout calories at 50% I probably have 50 calories to work with, with my exercise calories at 100%, I have 400 calories to work with.

I am still figuring out my calculations, logging, and exercise burn.
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    In this situation I go for a few spoonfuls of Greek yogurt. The protein fills me up and the calcium helps me sleep.
  • FrankK827
    FrankK827 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    After 9pm is when I struggle. 3 teenagers means not always the healthiest foods in the house.
  • ja20102004
    ja20102004 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    What about a small serving of cereal?
  • whosshe
    whosshe Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    If you're ready to go to bed just go to bed.

I always save at least 300 calories for night time snacking since I don't eat breakfast. I love snacking lol but if it's close enough to bedtime I'll just go to sleep instead and save those calories for a nice carb filled supper the next day :smile:

Drinking water I think is the only thing you can really do to "fill" yourself up. If you're ready for bed you might be mistaking tiredness for cravings.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

The calories I have left are exercise calories. If I calculate my workout calories at 50% I probably have 50 calories to work with, with my exercise calories at 100%, I have 400 calories to work with.

I am still figuring out my calculations, logging, and exercise burn.

I feel like I'm missing something here. If 100% of your exercise calories equals 400 calories, then why wouldn't half your exercise calories be 200 calories?

Regardless, if you have calories left and you want to use them, then use them.