Half Marathon & food

Options
I am doing a Half Marathon in May, when I tried to 'up' the miles last year I struggled at about the 9mile mark, my legs were very weary & I'm starting to think it may be food related...should I take a snack with me, any ideas what it could be & at what distance should I expect to eat it. Any ideas welcomed

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I always eat if I do over ten miles. Just a couple of dried apricots or an energy gel.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    if i am planning to run more than 5 miles (approx) an hour, then I supplement - personally, I use plain gummy bears - approx 4-5 every mile - just enough to give me a quick boost and my tummy doesn't hate them as much as it does some of the sports products (i.e. Gu)
  • LotsOfSteps
    LotsOfSteps Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    When I was doing my half marathons (I did 12 in one year before moving up). Always a banana pre-race about 30 mins before, at the start and middle I was loving the running no hill to steep or long, nice steady pace, breathing easy then, I always had the same feeling at the 10 mile point, plus I knew it was energy related as I got angry, "oh no not another hill" "I feel so lethargic" "why am I doing this" these are my lack of energy triggers. So if my energy loss was a 10 mile I would carry and use 1 x Gel at 9 mile, that gave me one mile for it to kick in before my 10 mile point. I then enough energy with that Gel to fire me up and get me to the end (enjoying it).

So in your case I would try a Gel at the 8 mile point it will kick in at the 9 mile point and should keep you going for the last 4 miles.

However as mentioned each person is different, I found my trick after the first 3 races so the other 9 races i enjoyed.

I have increased my distance now, in my case (I did experiment) I found 1 x Gel would give me energy for approx 45 mins. I would advise you to experiment and try for your self (not on race day though).
  • lisawilkes20
    lisawilkes20 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    I think each person is different - when I first started training for a HM I found I couldn't even get to 7 miles without a snack, and felt better if I took in something around the 4 mile mark. That's usually only a couple of jelly babies.

Some people will have a snack just before setting out (light). Really you need to be experimenting as you go. Don't wait until your legs feel like jelly to eat something though - you need to be ahead.

Thanks, thats probably where I went wrong in the first place, got up to 10 miles & the thought of trying to get to 13 is scaring me now. Good thing though us I like jelly babies
  • lisawilkes20
    Options
    I always eat if I do over ten miles. Just a couple of dried apricots or an energy gel.

I'm scared of needing the loo if I start to use those gels, but I'll only know if I try! Thanks
  • lisawilkes20
    Options
    When I was doing my half marathons (I did 12 in one year before moving up). Always a banana pre-race about 30 mins before, at the start and middle I was loving the running no hill to steep or long, nice steady pace, breathing easy then, I always had the same feeling at the 10 mile point, plus I knew it was energy related as I got angry, "oh no not another hill" "I feel so lethargic" "why am I doing this" these are my lack of energy triggers. So if my energy loss was a 10 mile I would carry and use 1 x Gel at 9 mile, that gave me one mile for it to kick in before my 10 mile point. I then enough energy with that Gel to fire me up and get me to the end (enjoying it).

So in your case I would try a Gel at the 8 mile point it will kick in at the 9 mile point and should keep you going for the last 4 miles.

However as mentioned each person is different, I found my trick after the first 3 races so the other 9 races i enjoyed.

I have increased my distance now, in my case (I did experiment) I found 1 x Gel would give me energy for approx 45 mins. I would advise you to experiment and try for your self (not on race day though).

Thanks thats really helpful, giving me ideas when they kick in etc...I'll need to try the gels just to see which flavour I prefer. Thanks
  • lisawilkes20
    Options
    if i am planning to run more than 5 miles (approx) an hour, then I supplement - personally, I use plain gummy bears - approx 4-5 every mile - just enough to give me a quick boost and my tummy doesn't hate them as much as it does some of the sports products (i.e. Gu)

Thankyou...think I'll start off with sweets & see if they give me the boost I'll need. Daft question dont they all go gooey & stick together?
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    I personally can't handle the gels. They upset my stomach. During a race I will eat at around the 8 or 9 mile mark dried mango or apricot or I make an energy bite. I can't have much on my stomach. My last race they offered orange slices....which were amazing!!!
  • misssiri
    misssiri Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I don't do gels either. Honey Stinger Chews or dried fruit works well. I start eating around mile 4. And I always eat something about an hour or so prior to running for long runs.
  • lisawilkes20
    Options
    I personally can't handle the gels. They upset my stomach. During a race I will eat at around the 8 or 9 mile mark dried mango or apricot or I make an energy bite. I can't have much on my stomach. My last race they offered orange slices....which were amazing!!!

With never trying the gels I dont know, but just the thought of having an upset tummy whilst on a long run fills me with dread. Ha
  • lisawilkes20
    Options
    misssiri wrote: »
    I don't do gels either. Honey Stinger Chews or dried fruit works well. I start eating around mile 4. And I always eat something about an hour or so prior to running for long runs.

Sounds like I need something about 4/5 mile then to give the boost I need. Thanks
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

Thankyou...think I'll start off with sweets & see if they give me the boost I'll need. Daft question dont they all go gooey & stick together?

not in my experinece - i use a little ziploc baggie and tuck into my pants
  • lisawilkes20
    Options

not in my experinece - i use a little ziploc baggie and tuck into my pants

Good idea! I was wondering how to do it, was going to put them in my mobile holder but thats a better idea. Thanks
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I used to bring a few jelly beans on my runs over 2 hours.

Switching to a high fat very low carb diet, at least 2 months before your event, can reduce the need to snack. Once the body is fat adapted it readily uses fat for fuel, and the brain uses/prefers ketones so symptoms of food preoccupation, weakness, and low energy (hitting the wall) can be avoided.

I just though I'd mention an alternative even though it may not be of interest to you. Good luck. :)
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options

I'm scared of needing the loo if I start to use those gels, but I'll only know if I try! Thanks

Gels and other running fuel are basically just sugar. They're meant to be easy for your body to digest, and I don't think there's going to be a lot of bodily waste from them. I've never needed a toilet mid-race, but many longer races provide port-a-potties along the course. Most runners just try to "go" before the race starts. There's always a long wait for the toilets at the starting line.

You should try out different fuel options during your training runs. Gels are one possibility, but there are also others, like chews and even dried fruit. I've run half marathons with different brands of chews, Gu, and even raisins. Training runs are a good way to figure out what your stomach can handle mid-run.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Scared of gels here, I have packed them but chickened out. My go to is stingers or gummy bears. The trick is to not wait until you feel weak but to start them at about mile 4 and pop a couple every mile or two after that. I would also recommend trying this on your long run prior to race day just in case it's not your thing.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I absolutely need to eat something at around the 10 mile mark (I usually go with fruit snacks- they are pretty simple sugar/starch-syrup gummies so easily digestible. If I wait past that, I'm slightly light-headed for hours after. Also electrolyte tablets (or a sports-type gel, etc) if you are sweating significantly. (Sports products will combine the starch/sugar syrup with the electrolytes into 1 item, but charge a hefty premium for the convenience).

Over what time period did you up the miles?..you may not have the muscle strength/endurance yet for them to not go to noodle state at 9 miles. Strength training can help with that (but not the day right before the long run).
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

I can't speak for gummy bears, but I can for fruit snacks. The Betty Crocker ones stay pretty good even kept in a car in summer. Kellogg's get a weird slimy texture from long-term hot car storage (they return to normal when temperatures drop). Temporary on-person storage will have much less of an effect.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I carry smarties candy - it's basically sugar tablets.