New but not so new

Options
Hello everyone. I'm here to introduce myself. I reside in Greensboro, NC and I have been struggling with my weight for a while. "Big-boned" women run in my family, so I have been trying my hardest to get in and stay in shape. It has been a hard and trying journey. I win sometimes, and then I lose sometimes. It's a never ending battle. It seems like as soon as I graduated from high school, the weight started piling on. I was faced with adult situations and really didn't have much time for working out, so eating out became a regular occurance for me. Not on top of the daily stresses of being an adult. Lol. Back in high school I played sports, so staying in shape wasn't hard for me at all, but once I was done with school, sports went out the window.

Another reason why it is so hard for me to lose and maintain my weight is the fact that I am blind. Having a visual disability makes it hard to stay as active as someone with sight can. I can't just go running around the track whenever I feel like it. I can't go for a 5-mile hike up a mountain if I wanted to. Having a visual impairment stifles some of my independence, but not all of it. That's why most people who are visually impaired are extremely over weight. There are limits that our visual impairment puts on us, but we have to be the one to break through those barriers and make a way out of no way. Being blind is not an excuse to be "fat." Lol. So, I am taking a stand to get my weight under control. I'm just looking to make some new friends that can help be my virtual supporters when I feel like giving up. I am determined to live a healthier life for myself and my future children. Thanks so much for listening.

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It sounds like you have some challenges to overcome.

Many people here lose weight without exercising beyond their daily activity. You just have to eat less calories than you are burning.

Are you comfortable doing indoor workouts? Body weight exercises or yoga may be a good option for you. You can stay in a room where you are comfortable and know where everything is. I would think the best approach is to see if you can find a personal trainer who can visit you in your house and help walk you through some moves, and give you a routine to work on. I realize regular training gets expensive but maybe a lesson here and there can you give you ideas and keep you progressing.

Leslie Sansone has some walk at home videos I think you would be able to listen to and follow, there is also a youtube channel called blind fitness that might be useful to check out.

Ellipticals are a good way to get cardio, or you may feel comfortable using a treadmill too. I would think any gym would be willing to assist you getting set up if you are able to get there.

If you are interested in running outside see if you have a pretty active running group in your area. You might be able to find a buddy at your level who can help you get to run locations and do some track or easy terrain runs with you.

These are just some ideas, I do not have experience with exercise and vision impairment, so please use your expertise and stay safe!
  • BlaqueDiamond1989
    BlaqueDiamond1989 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for your suggestions. I have an in-home gym that I use. I work out six days a week and I take a break and do basic yoga moves on sunday. I walk while I'm at work during my breaks since I do have a sit down job. I try to get in as much exercise as I can. I invested in a series 3 apple watch and that is helping a lot to keep me moving. I will definitely check out the blind fitness youtube channel you mentioned. Thanks.
  • mwalle09
    mwalle09 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    So much of your story is similar to mine, I'm sorry you have to go through it. But we can do this and we can get ourselves back!