Feel like a failure

Options
I failed, and stopped my new diet ans exercise routine over the weekend. I gained all my weight back and feel terrible in both body and mind. It times like these that I just want to give up. It seems impossible to reach my goals. It would be nice to have support to maintain motivation and help with cravings but they all want money for it. I am on disability and I can not afford it.

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    So? Count the days that you actually stayed on your new diet and exercise routine, and evaluate if it is realistic for you. If it is realistic, try doing that number of days + 1 or +2. Your new life isn't one of perpetual diet and exercise. It's of realistic expectations. If you realistically consume fewer calories in a day, a week, or a month than you need to maintain your weight, you will lose weight.
  • Alyssac324
    Alyssac324 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Don't let a bad weekend derail you. I have days where I eat a horrible lunch and figure oh I'm off track already and eat a bad dinner. This can turn into a never ending cycle if you don't stop it. The best thing to do is let that be one bad meal and do better next time. In your case one bad weekend, tomorrow is a new day start fresh and on the right track!
  • Niki_Fitz
    Niki_Fitz Posts: 948 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I failed, and stopped my new diet ans exercise routine over the weekend. I gained all my weight back and feel terrible in both body and mind. It times like these that I just want to give up. It seems impossible to reach my goals. It would be nice to have support to maintain motivation and help with cravings but they all want money for it. I am on disability and I can not afford it.

It’s okay that you messed up. Can you change your mindset about the situation? Maybe it is a learning experience, not a failure. I hope you keep trying.
  • poetic_cell
    poetic_cell Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up. We all make mistakes and we all fall down. The key is to take something out of that experience, learn the lesson and start over. Every day is a new day, a new chance and you get to choose whether you'll make a change or stick to the old habits. You can do it! There are so many pals here that are in the same boat as you are. Find accountability buddies, set some goals and put in the work — that's the magic formula. Good luck on your journey!
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,482 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    You keep a food diary? Try it.

In a way, it doesn’t seem like much. But if you embrace the process, it will see you through. A key point is to track your intake no matter what. Bad days included. Just keep doing your best to log everything you eat and drink and put a good faith number on it.

When tracking is the center of your program, you can keep going in the face of running off the rails or making mistakes. The only way to really fail is to quit keeping the diary. Try it.

Oh. And there’s a learning curve. It can seem a real pain at first, maybe overwhelming. But it gets easier with time.
  • Ralphone
    Ralphone Posts: 1,846 Member
    Options
    Dont give up. We all slip up. Just keep trying
    It's a new year time to rest.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    You haven't failed at all, it's called being human, we slip up, we pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off and just get back into it. You are being incredibly hard on yourself, be kinder to yourself, set reasonable goals, know that you will slip up again, but some plans in place for when you do, deal with it and move on.

Here is someone who has some up and downs but look what they have achieved through perserverance https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10626828/transformation-photo-and-story#latest

• Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options

The weekend is barely over! If you “gained all the weight back” it seems like it might be mostly water weight. My weight goes up and down several pounds on a daily basis depending on food, sodium, hormones, etc.

You have a lot more control than you think you do. You don’t need anyone else to help with accountability, you just need you. And part of accountability is forgiveness. Nobody’s perfect, and if you expect perfection, you’re bound to be disappointed. No matter how your day went, you can always find things that went well if you choose to see them.

If you give up, you’ll never get where you want to go.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Your diet is what you eat, and a routine isn't a routine if you don't do it routinely. You're not supposed to pay anyone for anything weight related. Losing weight is simple - eat less, move more, consistently. Maybe you are trying to do too hard, unnecessary things? If so, are you doing that because you really can't be bothered to make an effort at all, and just want an excuse to quit, or are you just misinformed? (Don't worry, very few got the memo. But now you're here! You are not a failure, btw.) Motivation comes from within; if your plan of action is suffering, you're not going to be motivated to follow your plan. But if you have a great plan, you want to stick to it. Now, make a great plan. We can help you create and tweak it. You have to stick to it yourself.
  • pamfgil
    pamfgil Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Weight loss plans generally need a lot of trial and error until you hit on something that works for you. Would you say someone else failed if they were a bit too ambitious with making major changes or would you suggest they amend their plan as needed. Do not be your own worst enemy, you are as worthy of care as the next person, so be kind to yourself and adjust as necessary, but keep going
  • LZMiner
    LZMiner Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    So? Stop beating yourself up and start over! No one else is judging you but you! Tell that nasty little inner voice to zip it!
  • Ettieas
    Ettieas Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Pick yourself up and keep going! Two days out of the year will not affect your overall results but throwing in the towel will.
  • parrishhenryjr
    parrishhenryjr Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    We all slip up. Do not give up. You got this. Remember it is one day at a time. If you slip up, just remind yourself tomorrow is a new day and begin again.
  • stephanierae07
    stephanierae07 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I try to post daily and motivate I’ve went back at it since oct 13 2017 have lost 17lbs would like to lose 10-15 more feel free to add me anyone
  • theniznikfamily
    theniznikfamily Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Just start over right away!! You got this, you are human we all slip up...
  • Nancyh58
    Nancyh58 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Don't give up. I'm starting over today too. We can do it together (all of us)!