Options
2»

Replies

• LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    you cant spot reduce.

how soon is the wedding? having the dress taken out will likely be the best option, if the wedding is anytime in the next year :/

What?? Why should it take a year to lose 5 inches?

I think it depends on where. If she means 5 total inches of a combined loss on, say, her bust, underbust, waist, hips, calves and upper arms, probably not, if she is eating at a deficit and doesn't fall off the wagon, experience stalls, and somehow achieves an exact downward trajectory of loss in an exact, bumps-along-the-way-free pace. OR she might lose more than "5 inches" and now be too small for the dress, for that matter.

But I know for me, anyway, it took me over a year to lose just 4" off my waist, and that was 60 lbs.
  • LAWoman72
    edited January 2018
    Options
    ja20102004 wrote: »
    I bought this dress before I had my 3 kids then I had a premature baby and we had to focus on her instead of my weight.

So this is an older dress, obviously, not one you just bought. Why do you need to wear it now? Can't you buy a different dress instead? Or have a seamstress add panels to this one in order to make it fit you, if it has some sort of sentimental value or some specific meaning for you?

I just think trying to decide in advance that you "will" lose 5 inches (from somewhere?) given Plan X being shaky enough (even two people being more or less equal in height, weight, age and activity, eating the same amount of calories may experience a different weight loss trajectory, and if say you have been losing about a pound a week that doesn't mean you won't lose 2 lbs. next week, or maybe not lose at all for the following 2 weeks...see what I'm saying?), trying to shrink to a specific dress doesn't have a stellar chance of succeeding. ANYTHING can happen between now and whenever it is that you want to wear that dress.

1. Buy a new dress, or have panels added to it to be at least large enough for you right now.
    2. Start a diet program (and exercise if you'd like) that is achievable for you.
    3. If you do lose a lot of weight/inches/size/whatever before it's time to wear the dress, you can have the stuff cut back out of it, or some of the stuff cut out of it to whatever size you are then, OR you can have the new dress you bought sized down. ETA: Or I guess the smartest way to do this would be to just go for one alteration (or alteration series) once you're very close to whatever the event is.
    4. Suggestion: if this is a wedding gown (I'm guessing it is) and money is the issue, perhaps try to sell it on ebay or elsewhere (there are also used clothes places specifically online, I think, you may get a higher amount there, check around) to recover some of the cost toward a new dress.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    I bought this dress before I had my 3 kids then I had a premature baby and we had to focus on her instead of my weight.

So this is an older dress, obviously, not one you just bought. Why do you need to wear it now? Can't you buy a different dress instead? Or have a seamstress add panels to this one in order to make it fit you, if it has some sort of sentimental value? I just think trying to decide in advance that you "will" lose 5 inches (from somewhere?) given Plan X being shaky enough (even two people being more or less equal in height, weight, age and activity, eating the same amount of calories may experience a different weight loss trajectory, and if say you have been losing about a pound a week that doesn't mean you won't lose 2 lbs. next week, or maybe not lose at all for the following 2 weeks...see what I'm saying?), trying to shrink to a specific dress doesn't have a stellar chance of succeeding. ANYTHING can happen between now and whenever it is that you want to wear that dress.

1. Buy a new dress, or have panels added to it to be at least large enough for you right now.
    2. Start a diet program (and exercise if you'd like) that is achievable for you.
    3. If you do lose a lot of weight/inches/size/whatever before it's time to wear the dress, you can have the stuff cut back out of it, or some of the stuff cut out of it to whatever size you are then, OR you can have the new dress you bought sized down.

my sister in law (as of thanksgiving weekend lol) fell in love with a dress that was too small in the bust area. She had it altered so it was a corset back. looked beautiful.

its an option.
  • LAWoman72
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »

So this is an older dress, obviously, not one you just bought. Why do you need to wear it now? Can't you buy a different dress instead? Or have a seamstress add panels to this one in order to make it fit you, if it has some sort of sentimental value? I just think trying to decide in advance that you "will" lose 5 inches (from somewhere?) given Plan X being shaky enough (even two people being more or less equal in height, weight, age and activity, eating the same amount of calories may experience a different weight loss trajectory, and if say you have been losing about a pound a week that doesn't mean you won't lose 2 lbs. next week, or maybe not lose at all for the following 2 weeks...see what I'm saying?), trying to shrink to a specific dress doesn't have a stellar chance of succeeding. ANYTHING can happen between now and whenever it is that you want to wear that dress.

3. If you do lose a lot of weight/inches/size/whatever before it's time to wear the dress, you can have the stuff cut back out of it, or some of the stuff cut out of it to whatever size you are then, OR you can have the new dress you bought sized down.

my sister in law (as of thanksgiving weekend lol) fell in love with a dress that was too small in the bust area. She had it altered so it was a corset back. looked beautiful.

its an option.

Wow, that sounds so cool and corset backs are so on trend, not to mention romantic, IMO.

OP, this sounds like a really great idea. How about it?

Meanwhile, start that weight loss plan. You can get healthier...so many of us have.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options

its an option.

My colleague is getting married in May and hopes to lose a bit of weight by then, but she deliberately chose a dress with a corset back... if she does manage to lose a few pounds then she can tighten it, but if she doesn't, she said she'll still feel fabulous in it!

Interesting question and here's my 2 cents worth. I just recently got my old wedding dress back from my sister who had lost it. I decided on a lark to try it on because I'm about 20 pounds lighter than I was when I got married. Unfortunately I couldn't get in to it. the shape of my body has changed. But I've had 2 kids and many years of weight gain and loss. You may find the dress doesn't fit the same even if you do lose the weight.

I had the same issue - I have a few dresses from about 30 years ago that I'd hoped one day to fit into again. Most of them I can now wear, including my wedding dress, even though I'm still a few pounds heavier than I was back then. One dress, though, which I'd made myself, is very fitted and shaped at the waistline, and there's no way I can get into that one because my shape is so different. Even if I do lose some more weight, I'm not sure I'll ever be able to wear that particular dress again.

OP, you haven't said if this is a wedding dress or not. If it has some kind of sentimental value, or if you just really love it, then look into the cost of having it altered in some way to fit you nicely.

If it's just a question of finances and you don't have any special attachment to this particular dress, then perhaps the suggestion of selling it on eBay and putting the funds towards buying another one might work better for you?