Half Marathon & food

Options

Replies

• Mrs181
    Mrs181 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    If I'm doing over 10 miles, I'll take a gel or a couple Clif bloks (chews) every 4.5 - 5 miles. So during a Half Marathon I would take around 4.5 miles and 9. I also eat before my run. You'll have to experiment for yourself.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    All good advice on fueling during your run, but also keep in mind that as you up your distance, it is going to get increasingly more difficult. That is why you do training runs. Your body needs to get used to the physical and mental aspects of running that longer distance. It's all part of the training process. Also, are you trying to maintain a deficit during training? If so, you might need to take a temporary break from that as you get closer to the peak of your training and up through your race. Weight loss and distance running are not easily compatible.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Could it be that you were just tired? Either not sufficiently recovered, or not sufficiently trained?

I only ask because I know it's something I tend to do... look for something to blame other than my own training/recovery. i.e. it's easier to say I should have had an extra gel with me rather than to say that I need more mileage in my training.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    If I'm running under ten miles, I don't bother fuelling during the run/race other than a few sips of water. And I have PB&J on toast 1-2 hours before the race starts.

If I'm going to do more than ten miles, I'll have an extra slice of toast and also carry a couple of Clif Bloks to munch on during my run. If it's a race I'll stop for a few sips of water (or Gatorade if it's available) at the fuelling stations. If it's a run round my neighbourhood, I'll stash a water-bottle at the halfway point.

My worst half marathon was when I got to the ten mile water station only to find out they'd completely miscalculated and there was no water or Gatorade left. I made the mistake of taking the Gu gel on offer, and the guy running next to me congratulated me on how far I managed hurl it without hitting anyone.
  • lisawilkes20
    lisawilkes20 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I used to bring a few jelly beans on my runs over 2 hours.

Switching to a high fat very low carb diet, at least 2 months before your event, can reduce the need to snack. Once the body is fat adapted it readily uses fat for fuel, and the brain uses/prefers ketones so symptoms of food preoccupation, weakness, and low energy (hitting the wall) can be avoided.

I just though I'd mention an alternative even though it may not be of interest to you. Good luck. :)

Very high fat, does that mean I can lots of chips & chocolate
  • lisawilkes20
    Options
    If I'm running under ten miles, I don't bother fuelling during the run/race other than a few sips of water. And I have PB&J on toast 1-2 hours before the race starts.

If I'm going to do more than ten miles, I'll have an extra slice of toast and also carry a couple of Clif Bloks to munch on during my run. If it's a race I'll stop for a few sips of water (or Gatorade if it's available) at the fuelling stations. If it's a run round my neighbourhood, I'll stash a water-bottle at the halfway point.

My worst half marathon was when I got to the ten mile water station only to find out they'd completely miscalculated and there was no water or Gatorade left. I made the mistake of taking the Gu gel on offer, and the guy running next to me congratulated me on how far I managed hurl it without hitting anyone.

Oh dear, I'm not sure about these gels & you have just put me off abit more
  • lisawilkes20
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    Could it be that you were just tired? Either not sufficiently recovered, or not sufficiently trained?

I only ask because I know it's something I tend to do... look for something to blame other than my own training/recovery. i.e. it's easier to say I should have had an extra gel with me rather than to say that I need more mileage in my training.

Me & my running buddy upped the distance a mile a week from 6 mile that we were used to, until the 4th week which was a 10mile race we had enterd. Not fast though, its a personal achievement I'm doing it for. I think we trained correctly?
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Just to offer a counter-experience... I don't have any problem with gels, gus, blocks, etc. Some are more palatable than others, but none bother my stomach.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Just to offer a counter-experience... I don't have any problem with gels, gus, blocks, etc. Some are more palatable than others, but none bother my stomach.

I've never had a problem with them either.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options

Oh dear, I'm not sure about these gels & you have just put me off abit more

Hey, don't let my bad experience put you off; they may be fine for you. Just don't wait for race day to try something new.

For me, the Clif Bloks work really well. I've also used jelly beans without any issues. But the Gu was one heck of a shock to my system.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

Bottom line, is try a few different things on your long run training days, Hopefully, you'll be able to narrow down what will and won't work race day.

Most important thing is not to try anything too far from what you've trained for on race day. Shoes, Hydration, Pre feed, etc.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Bottom line, is try a few different things on your long run training days, Hopefully, you'll be able to narrow down what will and won't work race day.

Most important thing is not to try anything too far from what you've trained for on race day. Shoes, Hydration, Pre feed, etc.

Yes, the best guide is your own results during long runs. The results of other people can only take you so far.

• AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    What great suggestions!
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Just something to consider- if you are feeling that weak in the middle of a run, look at your nutrition on your other days. Personally, I don't eat or drink when I run. It messes up my rhythm. Instead, I depend on eating well and staying hydrated pre-run and then re-fueling when I am finished.

If you are having a hard time overcoming a certain mileage, hang out at the lower mileage for a couple weeks and try to increase then your speed. Then, drop the speed back and go for the longer distance.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

Yes, the best guide is your own results during long runs. The results of other people can only take you so far.

Other people can make suggestions, I would never have thought to go with gummie bears over one of the tailored commercial options without a suggestion from several folks here.

Note: Costco sells small singles in a 60 pack of "Annies Gummie snacks"
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Other people can make suggestions, I would never have thought to go with gummie bears over one of the tailored commercial options without a suggestion from several folks here.

Note: Costco sells small singles in a 60 pack of "Annies Gummie snacks"

Oh, I agree that *listening* to what other people do can be a great guide for what to try ourselves. I just mean that we should test things ourselves before actually doing them on race day.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Gels don't make everyone sick. They're very popular and many people do fine with them. I just prefer the flavor and consistency of chews. (Except Clif chocolate gels. Those things taste amazing when you're a few miles in. But then again, I love anything chocolate.)

The key is being consistent. Don't try anything on race day that you haven't tried in training.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    if you want to try a whole bunch of different things then https://thefeed.com/ is an option you can check out - lots of different sports nutrition and you can buy 1-2 items for samples and not have to buy a full box of something (etc) - it also has some more of the off-the-wall type options that you can't buy in as many stores
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I had to eat a bigger than usual breakfast (I had 1.5 servings of Special K cereal with almond milk and a banana) before my long runs and I brought Jelly Belly sport beans along for around mile 6. I was usually very hungry after a run, and had a protein bar as soon as I was done. I remember my last long run before the HM was 12 miles and I literally felt my stomach go completely empty. I was SO hungry!
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

Me & my running buddy upped the distance a mile a week from 6 mile that we were used to, until the 4th week which was a 10mile race we had enterd. Not fast though, its a personal achievement I'm doing it for. I think we trained correctly?

I bet this is the biggest issue - Constantly increasing without recovery.

Get on a good plan. You don't increase every week. You move up 2-3 times then you recover at a lower mileage week.

Also, don't expect it to be easy (at least at first). I can remember my first couple 10 mile runs. I barely made it. Now 10 miles is easy. It takes time.

And I'm not sure about the high fat diet nonsense but I can tell you it really doesn't work that way. If it did, every elite runner would be doing it. Today I am aware of none.

For fuel, I would go by time on my feet over distance. If it takes more than 90 minutes to cover the distance try a gel. They're really not that bad. When I'm racing (really racing), I eat them every 30-45 minutes (overkill I know, but I tend to go all out). That usually translates to 2 gels for a half marathon.

Hydration is also very important. Drink water. Lots of water.

Good luck.