How many calories do I count for cooking oil?

Options
Anyone have a definitive answer about this? Anyone know of any studies? I mean, if I cook up some stir fry in my wok and toss in a table spoon of olive oil, so I have to count all 120 calories in a serving? Or does some of it evaporate or get left aside? And what about other oils used for cooking?

I know this sounds a little anal, but every little bit counts, especially when you're nearing your goal.

Replies

• supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Now you know why I reduced my calories, so I know to tighten the reigns elsewhere.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Some oil does evaporate during cooking (or dissipate actually), but I count a tablespoon of oil if I add it to a stir fry or use it to saute veggies for a bolognese, for example. The evaporation is significantly less than the amount absorbed by the food.

I haven't tried to calculate calories for homemade recipes involving deep frying though. In that case, I think you'd need to measure the oil before and after and log the difference to account for the oil that is absorbed by the food.
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    There will be some residual oil not utilized but it's a tiny percentage. It's not like water and readily boil off at normal cooking temps into a steam. I say count it.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    In a stir fry I would count the full amount, because it would be incorporated with your veggies and the sauce. I think it would get trickier if you were shallow or deep frying as you leave most of the oil behind in this instance.

Solution: use spray oil in a non stick pan, then you only need to count about 30 cals :smile:
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I count the full amount - 120 calories for the tablespoon. It hurts don't it :P
  • mmacintosh321
    mmacintosh321 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Damn you, reality!!

Oh well, I guess for now, until I reach my goal, it's going to be fat free spray.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Damn you, reality!!

Oh well, I guess for now, until I reach my goal, it's going to be fat free spray.
    Fat free spray?......what's that, water. Don't think spray makes a good Caesar salad. Yes I know a nanosecond spray gives you no calories, but I'm still going to use duck fat to fry my potatoes in and I've lost 50 lbs and maintain with all my favorite fats. :smile:
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    I didn't start using actual oil to "pan fry" or "sautee" my foods until I was in maintenance. Before than, it was (you guessed it) zero cal spray.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Count it all - really don't get too anal about your calories - you win some, you lose some.....as you get closer to your goal some days you will go over a bit, and other days you will be under a bit - it is real life ......so use the oil - and honestly it is not a train smash if you are not "under for the day".....
  • lburkelb
    Options
    As I have been searching for the answer to this I think I may have come to a conclusion, and it is all based on your serving size. For example, if you cook 5 servings of Asparagus, assuming that when you cook the oil is as evenly spread as possible you would then divide your olive oil into the serving sizes. Lets say Asparagus is 30 calories a serving you have 5 servings so you divide 120 (olive oil) by 5 and you come up with 24 calories. Again this is assuming that it is evenly distributed which it is very unlikely that it will be down to a T like that but what what I will do is add maybe 10 to 15 calories maybe even 20 on top of that 24 number to leave room for error. Does that make sense?
  • Shellz31
    Shellz31 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as zero calorie oil spray!! They just make the serving size small enough to be able to put zero calories per serving. Most are at least 7 calories for each second it is sprayed. So if you're like my stepmom and you spray a pan for like 10 seconds, you're adding at least 70 calories!!
  • lharri0209
    lharri0209 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    If I cook a meal for myself using about a tbsp of oil at 120 cals but, only eat half of what is actually cooked, then I only log half the amount of cals from the oil. (60 cals)
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I count it all, but I only use enough to keep things from sticking. I usually use about a teaspoon for my stir fry dishes.
  • sourgrape_
    Options
    I count it all.
    but I discovered that cooking with the low calorie kind of soy sauce adds more flavour and keeps the meat juicier than oil!
  • Attikai
    Attikai Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I just cooked eggs in a cast iron pan. I used a full tablespoon of ghee, and the eggs didn't even think about sticking. Then I took the eggs out and poured the melted ghee back into the tablespoon. At least 2/3 of it was in the spoon. The pan was still thickly coated with it as well. When I finished the eggs I noticed there was a lot of ghee left on the plate. So in this case I don't think the eggs absorbed much as you might expect with eggs.

I counted 1 t. of ghee even though I think it was less. If I counted the whole T of ghee it would have been 135 calories to my 143 calories of eggs.
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I count it all. I have stopped using as much oil for frying. I used to use at least a tablespoon. Now I measure out 1 tsp. and spread it out with a spatula on the pan. That is more than enough for most of my frying needs. I also have the zero coconut oil spray but rarely use it. (I used to use it for waffles--haven't had waffles since I started losing weight!) I am planning on getting some new non-stick pans, but for now the 1 tsp. works.