Workout logging/workout routine

Options
How many of you log your workout plans,sets,reps,pr’s? How often do you switch up your workout routines,reps,sets,exercises? I usually keep a note book with me for my workout regimen for that day so I’m not just running in circles in the gym, I find it helps a lot to stay focused and keep track. Also I change exercises weekly to keep it fresh and incorporate different rep ranges,weight,sets to keep it fresh and to hit different muscle fibers. What do you do?

Replies

• Thehardmakesitworthit
    Options
    I am working on this very topic now. I need focus in my exercise plans for sure. I have been using my phone to log this info but I am thinking an actual small notebook is best....gonna try that. Good luck!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I follow a program that comes with printouts and keep them and track in a binder where I record everything as well as notes/pointers for next session (when necessary).
  • myles1230
    myles1230 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Notebooks are great! Just write down your plan before your workout and you don’t have to be fumbling through your phone especially if you like to listen to music during your workout. Thanks! And good luck to you as well.
  • myles1230
    myles1230 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I follow a program that comes with printouts and keep them and track in a binder where I record everything as well as notes/pointers for next session (when necessary).
    Good stuff!
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I have a core group of strength training exercises that I do every week and then I allow for a few improvised exercises. For example, I always do general dumb bell or barbell curls with free weights when I train arms, but when I perform the curling motion again later in the workout, I will use a machine, do cable curls, use a preacher bench, alter my grip, etc., to change it up.

I pre-log everything I intend to do in MFP and then add the spontaneous exercises after I leave the gym - the record it has to be digital, because I like having the information always available on my phone, it is easy to enter the data once the exercises are built, and I would probably forget a notebook at home or the gym because I workout very early in the morning!
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I log every workout in a notebook.

Date/exercise/weight used per set/reps per set
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    I use an app that records my weights and reps. I've uploaded my entire program into it so I know exactly what to do each day.
  • raetomlin
    raetomlin Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I use an app that records my weights and reps. I've uploaded my entire program into it so I know exactly what to do each day.

What app do you use? I'm looking for something like this.
  • GetFit0767
    GetFit0767 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    raetomlin wrote: »

I have used jeFit in the past and am using Progression now. Both are pretty good; but, Progression is a bit simpler.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    raetomlin wrote: »

I use WorkIt. It's simple to use and suits my needs.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I log/track things in excel and can reference the worksheet from my phone while at the gym. I program for both progress and consistency, which are important for me over the long term. I keep the same core lifts regardless, but give myself some flexibility with accessory lifts based on whether I'm working out at home or at a commercial gym (which has far more equipment).
  • THeADHDTurnip
    THeADHDTurnip Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Always. It's good for weight incremental progress. It can be motivating as well checking back from prior months.

I use my iPhone notepad to log every set and weight for my current program. Currently doing the Buff Dudes 12 week cutting program so I do what they say lol.