Full-fat dairy or low/no fat?

Options

Replies

• ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options
    Dairy in general is pretty unhealthy so I'd recommend neither.

How so?
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I'm a "eat what you like" kinda girl, so I say whatever you want.

Dairy (or lactose) is only unhealthy if you are intolerant of it. So, if you don't feel like you are dying after you eat it, eat it.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    rules of the forum - if you make an assertation about scientific studies that counter other discussion points - it behoves you to provide links and not "tell people to find them"
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    from Food and Nutrition (2016) - Milk and dairy products: good or bad for human health? An assessment of the totality of scientific evidence

this is a meta-analysis - so it takes all the studies published that fit certain criteria and review for themes...its often seen as the gold-standard in research

Background

There is scepticism about health effects of dairy products in the public, which is reflected in an increasing intake of plant-based drinks, for example, from soy, rice, almond, or oat.
    Objective

This review aimed to assess the scientific evidence mainly from meta-analyses of observational studies and randomised controlled trials, on dairy intake and risk of obesity, type 2 diabetes, cardiovascular disease, osteoporosis, cancer, and all-cause mortality.
    Results

The most recent evidence suggested that intake of milk and dairy products was associated with reduced risk of childhood obesity. In adults, intake of dairy products was shown to improve body composition and facilitate weight loss during energy restriction. In addition, intake of milk and dairy products was associated with a neutral or reduced risk of type 2 diabetes and a reduced risk of cardiovascular disease, particularly stroke. Furthermore, the evidence suggested a beneficial effect of milk and dairy intake on bone mineral density but no association with risk of bone fracture. Among cancers, milk and dairy intake was inversely associated with colorectal cancer, bladder cancer, gastric cancer, and breast cancer, and not associated with risk of pancreatic cancer, ovarian cancer, or lung cancer, while the evidence for prostate cancer risk was inconsistent. Finally, consumption of milk and dairy products was not associated with all-cause mortality. Calcium-fortified plant-based drinks have been included as an alternative to dairy products in the nutrition recommendations in several countries. However, nutritionally, cow's milk and plant-based drinks are completely different foods, and an evidence-based conclusion on the health value of the plant-based drinks requires more studies in humans.
    Conclusion

The totality of available scientific evidence supports that intake of milk and dairy products contribute to meet nutrient recommendations, and may protect against the most prevalent chronic diseases, whereas very few adverse effects have been reported.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    rules of the forum - if you make an assertation about scientific studies that counter other discussion points - it behoves you to provide links and not "tell people to find them"

is this really a forum rule or just personal preference?
  • Slasher09
    Slasher09 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I dont (well, very very rarely) drink milk at all these days thats not in a cup of coffee or a shake. Other than that I go by preference. I do whole milk for coffee because I like it and I would rather use a small amount of that milk than a large amount of skim milk to get the same taste. I use lowfat cottage cheese because I like the consistency better and I eat fat free greek yogurt because that's what aldi sells.
  • deannalfisher
    edited January 2018
    Options

is this really a forum rule or just personal preference?

if its not - it should be...that goes for any focum...if you are arguing scientific research, provide the studies to back up your logic - don't "tell people to do their own research" (which IME means, I haven't actually researched this, so i'm parroting something someone else told me)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »

How so?

It's been linked to osteoporosis as well as some other diseases, idk the american version but the Dairy farmers council was actually sued a few years ago due to their false claims about"strong bones" and are no longer allowed to market that way. I'm multitasking at work or I would find more info for you but the information is publicly available so you should be able to find more information semi easily, anything praising dairy always check who published and who funded its usually funded by the dairy council.

Where did you read this? Because the National Dairy Council still cites bone health as a health benefit of milk in their current website: https://www.nationaldairycouncil.org/health-and-wellness

• WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    As most people have mentioned, it depends on what works for you. I think most people experiment and come up with a combination of full/reduced/fat free dairy depending on what they like and what fits in their calories. I don't drink milk, but when I (rarely) buy it it's usually 2%. I usually eat full fat cheese, 4% cottage cheese, Neufchâtel cheese (slightly lower fat than regular cream cheese), and nonfat Greek yogurt. However, I did have to cut back on my cheese consumption overall to keep my calories in range, but I'd rather have less full fat cheese than fat free because I find it gross.
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »

How so?

It's been linked to osteoporosis as well as some other diseases, idk the american version but the Dairy farmers council was actually sued a few years ago due to their false claims about"strong bones" and are no longer allowed to market that way. I'm multitasking at work or I would find more info for you but the information is publicly available so you should be able to find more information semi easily, anything praising dairy always check who published and who funded its usually funded by the dairy council.

Where did you read this? Because the National Dairy Council still cites bone health as a health benefit of milk in their current website: https://www.nationaldairycouncil.org/health-and-wellness

but but they are paid for by BIG DAIRY ;) (who I think is the older brother to BIG PHARMA)
  • Attikai
    Attikai Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    If you eat it full dairy IMO. Full fat too.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    from Food and Nutrition (2016) - Milk and dairy products: good or bad for human health? An assessment of the totality of scientific evidence

this is a meta-analysis - so it takes all the studies published that fit certain criteria and review for themes...its often seen as the gold-standard in research

Background

There is scepticism about health effects of dairy products in the public, which is reflected in an increasing intake of plant-based drinks, for example, from soy, rice, almond, or oat.
    Objective

This review aimed to assess the scientific evidence mainly from meta-analyses of observational studies and randomised controlled trials, on dairy intake and risk of obesity, type 2 diabetes, cardiovascular disease, osteoporosis, cancer, and all-cause mortality.
    Results

The most recent evidence suggested that intake of milk and dairy products was associated with reduced risk of childhood obesity. In adults, intake of dairy products was shown to improve body composition and facilitate weight loss during energy restriction. In addition, intake of milk and dairy products was associated with a neutral or reduced risk of type 2 diabetes and a reduced risk of cardiovascular disease, particularly stroke. Furthermore, the evidence suggested a beneficial effect of milk and dairy intake on bone mineral density but no association with risk of bone fracture. Among cancers, milk and dairy intake was inversely associated with colorectal cancer, bladder cancer, gastric cancer, and breast cancer, and not associated with risk of pancreatic cancer, ovarian cancer, or lung cancer, while the evidence for prostate cancer risk was inconsistent. Finally, consumption of milk and dairy products was not associated with all-cause mortality. Calcium-fortified plant-based drinks have been included as an alternative to dairy products in the nutrition recommendations in several countries. However, nutritionally, cow's milk and plant-based drinks are completely different foods, and an evidence-based conclusion on the health value of the plant-based drinks requires more studies in humans.
    Conclusion

The totality of available scientific evidence supports that intake of milk and dairy products contribute to meet nutrient recommendations, and may protect against the most prevalent chronic diseases, whereas very few adverse effects have been reported.

Here's a slightly more negative take, but still it does not support the idea that moderate intake of dairy is bad for you:

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/calcium-full-story/

"Milk and dairy products are a convenient source of calcium for many people. They are also a good source of protein and are fortified with vitamins D and A. At this time, however, the optimal intake of calcium is not clear, nor is the optimal source or sources of calcium. As noted earlier, the National Academy of Sciences currently recommends that people ages 19 to 50 consume 1,000 milligrams of calcium per day, and that those age 50 or over get 1,200 milligrams per day. Reaching 1,200 milligrams per day would usually require drinking two to three glasses of milk per day—or taking calcium supplements—over and above an overall healthy diet.

However, these recommendations are based on very short-term studies, and are likely to be higher than what people really need. Currently, there’s no good evidence that consuming more than one serving of milk per day in addition to a reasonable diet (which typically provides about 300 milligrams of calcium per day from nondairy sources) will reduce fracture risk. Because of unresolved concerns about the risk of ovarian and prostate cancer, it may be prudent to avoid higher intakes of dairy products.

At moderate levels, though, consumption of calcium and dairy products has benefits beyond bone health, including possibly lowering the risk of high blood pressure and colon cancer. (20–25) While the blood pressure benefits appear fairly small, the protection against colon cancer seems somewhat larger, and most of the latter benefit comes from having just one or maybe two glasses of milk per day in addition to what we get from other foods in our diet. Getting more than this doesn’t seem to lower risk further.

For individuals who are unable to digest—or who dislike—dairy products and for those who simply prefer not to consume large amounts of such foods, other options are available. Calcium can also be found in dark green, leafy vegetables, such as kale and collard greens, as well as in dried beans and legumes...."
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Attikai wrote: »
    If you eat it full dairy IMO. Full fat too.

What's "full dairy"?

Why should one choose full fat if one prefers low fat or skim or prefers to get one's calories or fat elsewhere?
  • Feed_the_Bears
    Feed_the_Bears Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    What ever you enjoy.
  • beaglady
    beaglady Posts: 1,362 Member
    Options
    I mix it up. Fat free Greek yogurt, almond or cashew milk over dairy milk, real butter and full fat cheeses. Half and half in my coffee on the weekend.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Background

Objective

Results

Conclusion

Here's a slightly more negative take, but still it does not support the idea that moderate intake of dairy is bad for you:

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/calcium-full-story/

"Milk and dairy products are a convenient source of calcium for many people. They are also a good source of protein and are fortified with vitamins D and A. At this time, however, the optimal intake of calcium is not clear, nor is the optimal source or sources of calcium. As noted earlier, the National Academy of Sciences currently recommends that people ages 19 to 50 consume 1,000 milligrams of calcium per day, and that those age 50 or over get 1,200 milligrams per day. Reaching 1,200 milligrams per day would usually require drinking two to three glasses of milk per day—or taking calcium supplements—over and above an overall healthy diet.

However, these recommendations are based on very short-term studies, and are likely to be higher than what people really need. Currently, there’s no good evidence that consuming more than one serving of milk per day in addition to a reasonable diet (which typically provides about 300 milligrams of calcium per day from nondairy sources) will reduce fracture risk. Because of unresolved concerns about the risk of ovarian and prostate cancer, it may be prudent to avoid higher intakes of dairy products.

At moderate levels, though, consumption of calcium and dairy products has benefits beyond bone health, including possibly lowering the risk of high blood pressure and colon cancer. (20–25) While the blood pressure benefits appear fairly small, the protection against colon cancer seems somewhat larger, and most of the latter benefit comes from having just one or maybe two glasses of milk per day in addition to what we get from other foods in our diet. Getting more than this doesn’t seem to lower risk further.

For individuals who are unable to digest—or who dislike—dairy products and for those who simply prefer not to consume large amounts of such foods, other options are available. Calcium can also be found in dark green, leafy vegetables, such as kale and collard greens, as well as in dried beans and legumes...."

And here's one which does support that it's good for you: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27882862?log$=activity

Excerpt (emphasis added):
    RESULTS:

CONCLUSION: