Gaining weight?

Options
Hey guys, I’ve been eating healthy food and within my calorie range. I don’t eat as much junk, maybe once or twice a month. I exercise a good amount of the day every week day and sat and sun I have off. But I’m still gaining weight. I understand I can be gaining muscle but I’ve gone up 5kg in the past 2 weeks, this isn’t natural. Is it? What can I do?

Replies

• MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    If you're in a deficit and not cutting or recomping, you're not building muscle. Without knowing how well you're tracking it's hard to say where the blip is happening, are you tracking your 'off' days? What do you do on those days that makes them 'off', do you eat at maintenance or do you not pay attention to what and how much you were eating? Usually the first place to look when you're not losing is your tracking.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    How are you measuring your food and liquids?
  • elcollins2809
    elcollins2809 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Michellesilverleaf, I eat healthy on my non exercise days. I still eat healthy but have a rest. I normally track my days and what I eat.
  • elcollins2809
    Options
    Anvilhead, I normally don’t measure my foods, I just limit what I eat.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options

So you have no idea how many calories you are consuming then. If you are gaining weight, you are eating more calories than your body needs. Start measuring your food. "Limiting" what you eat won't help if you don't know what you need to limit it to.

And it is highly unlikely more than a pound of how much you gained is muscle. Building muscle takes proper training, consistency and time.

• MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    I normally don’t measure my foods

This is why you're gaining. If you're not measuring you have no idea how much you're eating as Cbean08 points out. Even healthy food can put you over if the calories are high enough. Start measuring everything every day, give it a month and see how you're doing.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

And there's why you're gaining weight.

You don't lose weight from eating "healthy" foods. You lose weight by eating less calories than you burn. And if you're not measuring your foods, you don't actually know if you're within your calorie goal or not. You may find the first post in this thread very helpful to get you on track: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101/p1
  • elcollins2809
    Options
    Thanks to all of yous, your advice is a big help! I’ll start tracking my dayly calorie intake for now and see how I go! I’ll do another post in 2 weeks to see how I’m going
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    lt7rphsut53v.jpg