Thoughts on daily weigh in

Options
Hi,
I have been struggling with understanding my weight fluctuations on the scale. I have been weighing myself weekly on a Sunday (before food and drink and after bowel movements). But Yesterday I weighed myself and I weighed 73.5 and today 73.1, so that’s 0.4kg lost in a day! But in total, I have only lost 0.5 kg from when I started a month ago (73.6kg). At my lowest I was 72.4kg, 2 weeks ago. I am disappointed with the result as I thought I was eating within my calorie limit. But at the same time the scale seems to fluctuate quite a lot with salt intake, menstrual cycle etc so I was thinking of weighing I daily to see how these affect my weight and then look at whether I’m losing weight over a period of time eg if the trend is going down. I’ve downloaded the happy scale app which calculates the moving average of my weight daily which seems to be more accurate. What are people’s thoughts of weighing in daily? Vs weekly or monthly?

Replies

• Angie_au
    Angie_au Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Yea I think I’m the same! So I want to try daily weigh ins so I can see all the spikes and peaks and look at the overall smoothened trend
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    I like weighing daily, some don't. I think it all comes down to preference and what doesn't make you crazy. Though you say "I thought I was eating within my calorie limit", as long as you're weighing everything you eat you should have a clear idea of how much you're eating.
  • cenafan
    cenafan Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I weigh in daily but am used to the zig zag. I never expect weight loss to be linear. Keep sticking to your calorie/exercise goals and everything will fall in line.
  • Angie_au
    Angie_au Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Ok, yep am going to give happy scale a go. Excited to see how this goes!
  • sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I think as long as weighing daily doesn't make you feel bad or cause stress then why not.
    I'd also recommend taking some measurements and checking those occasionally, as scale weight might not change much but inches might.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,730 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    The more semi valid and consistent with each other data points the more meaningful your trend. multiple data points in a day=useless. Same time/same conditions/multiple days + happy scale = figuring out what is happening over time.

As you correctly inferred hormonal cycle, exercise, food in system, sodium and a host of other issues obscure your long term weight change trend.

Apps such as Happy Scale (iphone) and Libra (android) and websites such as trendweight.com and weightgrapher.com help you see the bigger picture.

Are these apps always accurate? They actually CAN and DO lag a tiny bit; but they seem to be quite good at identifying our longer term weight trend and any inflection points, even if they do so with a very slight delay.

And they are MUCH MUCH better than any random scale weight. Including the once a week or once a month measurement variety, if you're striving for accuracy.

Emotional and mental well being, of course, trumps accuracy. Consequently, the more accurate options may not be available to all of us ;-)
  • dnunny70
    dnunny70 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    For years I would do this. I no longer own a scale and would weigh myself once a month using a friend's scale.

I have been more successful at losing and keeping weight off, but I don't think it has to do with weighing in daily.

I also go by how my clothes fit. Inches lost vs. Number on scale.

• sjd421
    sjd421 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I seem to "stress" less about daily weigh in's than weekly ones. I use the Libra app, and like the accountability of it.
  • slimbyjune18
    slimbyjune18 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I’ve started daily weighing using happy scale app. I can tell with clothes too. For me daily accountability means less stress compared with skipping a week or two weigh in... a week or two became 18 months of skipping & putting 21lb back on!
  • CowboySar
    CowboySar Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Its a personal preference, just no that if you weigh daily your weight will fluctuate a lot more. I was weekly when I first started, then when I got close and the lbs came off a little slower I didn't care anymore what the scale said and was more concerned with how I felt, looked, and how the clothes fit. Now that I have changed up my workouts for different goals I only weigh when I feel like it, could be 2 weeks, could be a month.
  • CowboySar
    CowboySar Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Just my two cents on stress of weigh ins... I actually used that stress to help keep me on track as I stressed so much that I didn't want to fail it kept me on the straight and narrow.
  • Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Weighing daily helps me stay focused and not freak out. I'm learning what to expect of my body during certain times of the month and also learning what foods might be causing some water retention. I thought daily weigh ins would make me obsessed but it's actually been very empowering!
  • imabeevampire
    imabeevampire Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I weight daily and log weekly.
    I like seeing the oz go down and they keep me on track.
    Some people hate it. My instructor told me to get rid of my scales but when I stopped using them, found myself losing motivation.
    I use if for accountability. :)
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Daily is really the only way. While losing, weighing once a week gives you a really fuzzy view of what's going on.
  • FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Daily - if I see a weightgain I am more careful the next day...
  • jesse_323
    jesse_323 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily but only log my weights once a week, sometimes twice. I used to weigh myself at the gym at night after a workout, but I think I'm going to start doing it in the mornings before I leave for work.
  • sarajenivieve
    sarajenivieve Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    i do beginning of week and end of week flux affects me too much to do daily..although if my coworker sells me or aria scale i might go back to daily lol