Relieving knee pain

Options
Good morning everyone. I am currently suffering from knee pain. I have sickle-cell trait, which causes me to have joint pain. I am mostly feeling the pain in my knees though. I work out in hopes that it will relieve some of the pain, but it doesn't seem to help my situation. Do any of you know any exercises that specifically target the knee area that I may do to help relieve some of the pain? I would greatly appreciate hearing your thoughts and suggestions.

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Can you try to explain what the pain feels like and where specifically in the knee it is (along the inside, outside, front, back). There are alot of things that can contribute to knee pain, and different ways to address it.

Also, what kind of exercises do you do?
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Could you get a referral to a physiotherapist?
  • BlaqueDiamond1989
    BlaqueDiamond1989 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Can you try to explain what the pain feels like and where specifically in the knee it is (along the inside, outside, front, back). There are alot of things that can contribute to knee pain, and different ways to address it.

Also, what kind of exercises do you do?

The pain I am having is in the front of my knee. As far as to what exercises I do, I do knee bends, squats, and I walk about 2 miles a day. This pain is something I am going to have for the rest of my life, but I just want to find a way to make it less painful. Especially when I exercise.
  • MaddMaestro
    MaddMaestro Posts: 405 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Good luck! If you subsequently end up losing weight, or getting stronger leg muscles, the pain will be lessened. I would suggest talking to a doctor or a decent physical trainer to give you ideas on more types of exercise. I've found that swimming and bike riding are good cardio exercises that don't put too much pressure on the joints. If you don't own a bike, a stationary bike also does the trick.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    This is a tricky one because of your underlying medical condition--does it feel like the 'normal' joint pain of a sickling crisis, or is it different--more like overuse pain? Are you triggering a crisis by working out? I would suggest checking in with your doctor, or get a referral to a physical therapist who has experience with sickle cell patients.
  • Iwantahealthierme30
    Iwantahealthierme30 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I don't have sickle cell but I had knee pain and losing about 10 pounds got rid of it.
  • brig220
    brig220 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Could it be osteoarthritis? Full range squats and knee bends make it worse, unfortunately, I have experience with that. If you can, get a diagnosis and see a physical therapist, there are a lot of exercise with elastic bands that will help, you can find some of this on youtube if you search that subject. I've seen good results using the roller on releasing the outside, inside, and front of thigh muscles. They tend to tense up which leads to the patella tracking on the outside. Be kind to your knees, some exercises are really bad for them, even if people say that they aren't.
  • eptanubrata
    eptanubrata Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    With sickle cell there are a few things to keep in mind with regards to joint pain. 1) Avoid over exertion, especially in cold climate. - it may be beneficial for you to try hydrotherapy in a heated pool to minimize joint pain. 2) Your level of hydration also has an impact on your joint pain - stay hydrated throughout your routine. 3) In terms of types of exercises, avoid high-impact activities.
    I highly recommend you consult with a physiotherapist to rule out any other conditions contributing to your knee pain, they can also conduct a full assessment to determine appropriate activities for you (I am a physical therapist, but obviously without actually examining you in person, I'm quite limited).
  • BlaqueDiamond1989
    BlaqueDiamond1989 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much guys for your suggestions. I will definitely speak to my doctor. Even when I am not exercising, I am still having the knee pain.