What made you say enough is enough?

Options
2»

Replies

• AshDHart
    AshDHart Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    My husband was diagnosed with diabetes in March 2011 and instead of going on medication he wanted to make dietary changes and lose weight. Also, in March I was hospitalized with pneumonia and have been on oxygen full time since. The doctor said losing weight is the only way I will get off it now.

So far, he has lost just over 60lbs and I have lost 47lbs. Our daughter has gotten motivated and has lost 37lbs. We are doing this together!
  • slimmer189
    slimmer189 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Seeing my self in pictures (they don't lie!)
  • iTim__
    iTim__ Posts: 6,823 Member
    Options
    The one biggest thing... putting my weight into the BMI calculator and realizing I was "Obese." I thought that was something that happens to people on the biggest loser -- not me.
  • hamp8891
    hamp8891 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Like others, it was a photo that did me in. I knew I was chunky... the scale told me that much, weighing a bit more than I ever had before, 20-30 lbs more. But a photo of my husband, my dog and me near a waterfall was just more than I could take. So I teamed up with MFP and lost 20 lbs in less than 3 months! I've lost some of that motivation recently, mostly because I feel worlds better than I did before. So I've decided to go at a slower rate and allow myself to eat a few more calories each day by changing my goal to 1 lb a week. I hope I stick to it : )
  • freeloaves
    freeloaves Posts: 281
    Options
    I hit the weight I associate with being the weight when my mother gave up.

I love her, I do not want to be her.

Same. I wish my mum would do something :( She's going to die too young.

My turning point was when my sz 22 jeans were starting to get tight on me.

:| That was 2 years ago. Sz 14 now.
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    My brother's good influence.

He lost a lot of weight on Weight Watchers and actually lost his "bubble butt" that plagues every single member of our family (on both sides, unfortunately! {pun intended}) I figured that if he could have a tiny butt, then so could I!

I signed up for WW the next week.

How bad did I let it get? Well, I gained about 60 pounds in one year, after having gained 20 slowly over a couple of years... So 80 pounds gained within 3 or 4 years, and my butt was unbuckling my seatbelt when I drove. So... bad.
  • GinaKurtz
    GinaKurtz Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Being asked if I was pregnant... I've never been pregnant (though I can't wait until I am...one day) & it just killed me. So I weighed myself...the number on the scale did it for me...
  • sahalcomb
    sahalcomb Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Yep...I can relate!
    1. The # on the scale was my highest weight ever and confirmed the fact that I'd "let myself go"...again!
    2. My clothes were getting tighter and tighter...again!
    3. Hated seeing myself in pics...yuck!
    4. Swimsuit season...'nough said! LOL!
  • ljmeep
    ljmeep Posts: 29
    Options
    When I couldn't keep up with my kids. I couldn't stand looking in the mirror. I started hating shopping (used to love it). When I started getting winded climbing a small flight of stairs. I watched my aunt go through the beginning stages of kidney failure with her diabeties and my dad suffer a mild heart attack. I could no longer justify my unhealthy habits nor did I want to. My biggest fear in this world is not being there to see my kids grow up. So I said enough is enough!

Up until that point I let myself go by drinking up to half to a whole 12 pack of soda a day. My portion sizes were prolly 3 times what they should be. I was a major stress eater. I never really worked out. I watched 3 times the tv or was on the net all day and half the night.
  • EricInArlington
    EricInArlington Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    11/30/2010 I took my daughter and I to see the doctor so he seen both of us and we were weighing in and I seen my kids weight 198 : ( then I seen the look on her face.... It crushed me. I weighed in at 302 and I from that point on I cant tell you what the doctor said, I was in such shock. I do remember if he could give me some type of med to help me lose weight and he said " we don't give them types of meds to people at this clinic" but he did tell me about this app he uses and so latter I looked but, it didn't have is for android phones so I tried this one, it was the best thing that ever happened to me.

So far I have lost 79 and my daughter has lost a few but, now she knows how to do it and knows it will not happen over night.