Spartan Race

Options
I signed up for my first Spartan Race. I have exactly 2 months until race time. I would love to hear training tips from those who have done these races before.

Replies

• ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Build up your running base and upper body strength. You'll need both.
  • Charlottesmama
    Charlottesmama Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    _dracarys_ wrote: »
    Build up your running base and upper body strength. You'll need both.

Thank you. I am running/walking 5-9 miles a day and hope to get it up to 10. I also starting a lifting program yesterday.
  • natruallycurious
    natruallycurious Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Adding to upper body strength, I've read that you should get your grip strength up as much as possible too. Most lifting programs aren't going to include things like dead hangs or farmer's carries, but those are easy things to add into a workout. I am planning on signing up to do Trifecta this year, though the only OCR I've done so far is Tough Mudder. I plan to go to my local park to get really comfortable on the monkey bars as part of training. Good luck!
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I've done a Spartan Super. There are three things you'll want to focus on: 1) endurance, 2) grip strength, and 3) upper body strength.

Endurance - Although you won't be running a long distance without stopping for an obstacle when you add in the burpees, it will test you. Practice doing burpees in a way that doesn't gas you. Run 3 - 4 times per week to build up to your distance.

Grip Strength - Pegs, monkey bars, ropes, etc. My grip was fried by the mid-point. If, or rather when, I do another one, I'll focus on my grip strength.

Upper body strength - Climbing over walls, lifting and carrying sandbags, carrying a bucket of gravel, etc. This was my strong point in the race as I enjoy training for strength. Pulls, squats, farmer's carries.

• lhub2
    lhub2 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Where is your race? Is the terrain hilly? If so, get used to carrying heavy things up hills. Are you doing a sprint? Also don’t skimp on your shoes. People sometimes make the mistake of using old shoes because of the mud. Get yourself a good pair of trail shoes. Also get some lifting gloves to protect your hands. For the Herculean hoists it will really save your hands.
    Other people are saying to train your upper body...totally agree there. I did a Spartan at Killington back in September and I’m doing another one in May. I did (and still doing) CrossFit to train for it. Lately I’ve added powerlifting to get my strength up because that mountain (Killington) kicked my butt.
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I've done a Spartan Super. There are three things you'll want to focus on: 1) endurance, 2) grip strength, and 3) upper body strength.
    I've done an obscene number of OCRs, including the dreaded Palmerton Spartan Race. Hence my user name.

And I agree with your statement.