Suggestions for PMS choc cravings?

Hello! Does anyone have any suggestions for rich and healthy chocolate snacks? I mainly crave chocolate treats when I have PMS. Almost like a mad woman! LOL ! I was doing so good until this week and had a bad 1 1/2 days and went over my calories for the day. Any suggestions would be appreciated!!

Replies

• jvinmill
    jvinmill Posts: 279 Member
    I find usually that one piece of 70% cocoa dark chocolate from Lindt does the trick for me. It's very rich, but low cal. I think you can actually have a few pieces without it being a huge caloric detriment, but I find one is usually enough.
  • Saksgirl1
    Saksgirl1 Posts: 248
    Someone on here posted a recipe once for ghiradeli dark choc chips melted with almonds... OMG! AMAZING! I made it the other night, but I added a little cayenne pepper to the choc mixture! YUM!
  • lennykat
    lennykat Posts: 89
    I asked my "Lady Dr" about this and he told me that craving chocolate during PMS is because of a drop in magnesium. A handful of almonds replaces the magnesium to help with the craving. I, personally, eat almonds during that time and throw in about an 1/8 of a cup of plain ole chocolate chips to get the "taste" of the chocolate I want too. It really does seem to help keep me from downing 450 Hershey bars during that week.

Hope that helps.
  • i'm a chocoholic and lindt chocs are great...also hershey's special dark kisses... and skinny cow makes a really good candy bar that has a cookie center and covered in choc.
  • RoseBlanc
    RoseBlanc Posts: 140
    Chocolate protein powder added to yogurt. :]
    70% dark chocolate is also a great treat- and its rich so its hard to OD on.
  • Sugarchef
    Sugarchef Posts: 319 Member
    Arctic Zero Chocolate "ice cream". I love their stuff!
  • Ghiardelli has good dark chocolate squares (40 calories). I've read that dark chocolate (over 60% cocoa) boosts your metabolism.
  • theba2il
    theba2il Posts: 548 Member
    I like fudgecicles:0)
  • ljmeep
    ljmeep Posts: 29
    that's great advice! Never knew almods could help with those cravings during that time of the month. I so have to try that
  • good idea with almonds... do you know of any other good substitutes? I would try the almonds, but I'm alergic :(
  • I usually make my own low-cal chocolate dip when I feel the need for chocolate. All you need is 3-5 tbs cocoa powder(I use Hershey's special dark), 2-3 tbs of warm water(or milk, if you prefer) and 2-4 packets of Splenda(or sweetener of choice). Adjust according to your consistency and sweetness preferences, of course. :p You can also add flavored extracts like coconut or peppermint to it...awesome!
    It's great for dipping strawberries and pretzels in or spreading on some toast.
  • audram420
    audram420 Posts: 838 Member
    I asked my "Lady Dr" about this and he told me that craving chocolate during PMS is because of a drop in magnesium. A handful of almonds replaces the magnesium to help with the craving. I, personally, eat almonds during that time and throw in about an 1/8 of a cup of plain ole chocolate chips to get the "taste" of the chocolate I want too. It really does seem to help keep me from downing 450 Hershey bars during that week.

Hope that helps.

wow...makes sense!! I think I'll throw a few choco chips in with my almonds and see if it helps!! thanks for the info!
  • Arctic Zero Chocolate "ice cream". I love their stuff!

This! I tried the mint-chocolate flavor and it was great! I want the chocolate-pb one!
  • GPSHEALTHCOACHING
    GPSHEALTHCOACHING Posts: 497 Member
    I love to slooowwwwly suck on Hershey's Kisses. They have about 25 calories each. By the time I am done with 4 than the craving is usually satisfied.
  • plantgrrl
    plantgrrl Posts: 436 Member
    Dark Cherry Chocolate Protein Smoothie

Safeway - Pitted Unsweetened Dark Sweet Cherries - Frozen, 226 g (8 oz or 1/2 bag)
    Stonyfield Farm - Organic Lowfat Vanilla Yogurt, 0.5 cup
    Eas 100% Whey Protein Powder - Chocolate, 1 Scoop (30g)
    Lucerne - Non Fat Milk, 0.5 cup
    Water - Tap, 0.5 cup
    handful of ice cubes

Put all ingredients in blender and blend 'til smooth. :)

makes 2 tall glasses--217 calories a serving and tastes a lot like Cherry Garcia. :)
  • bearsfan68
    bearsfan68 Posts: 85 Member
    Great tips!! I will definitely have to try these and thank you for thee tips! :smile:
  • plantgrrl
    plantgrrl Posts: 436 Member
    Also, Skinny Cow Mint Ice Cream Sandwiches. Tasty!
  • xxangelaxx
    xxangelaxx Posts: 13 Member
    Banana soft serve (aka best health food discovery ever) made with a bit of cocoa powder. Not quite Ben & Jerry's but does the job for me!
  • jayb0ne
    jayb0ne Posts: 644 Member
    I have Aldi hot chocolate almost every night. 37 calories for chocolate or mint and 39 for orange. Add a splash of semi skimmed for creaminess for an extra 15 calories or so.
  • MikkiV
    MikkiV Posts: 9
    cliff bars have many delicious flavors
    and if you are craving chocolate for more than 20 mins
    it wont hurt to have alittle