need to lose, but have frozen shoulder

Options
Last year I tried losing weight. It took me 3 months to lose 5 pounds. I was starving and irritable and drove my family nuts so I quit. I figured when the kids went back to school in the fall I would start doing some exercise videos. Then, right when I was ready to start again I developed frozen shoulder. Since the end of summer I have been in pain. Can barely lift my arm at all . I tried to walk on the treadmill, but going fast just ended up hurting more. Is there anyway to lose weight by walking on the treadmill, not very fast, but not slow either? All I've been doing for three months is sitting on the couch. I've gained back that 5 pounds plus some. Starting next week I'm going to force myself to cut pepsi out completely. I'm averaging about a liter a day now, sometimes more, sometimes less. I really don't know how to lose weight with diet though without being hungry all the time. I also have to eat quite a bit when I take the ibuprofen or it makes me sick. If I skip meals and don't eat a little throughout the day I get sick (not just hunger pains, but gonna puke sick). I'm super picky with food too :-( I just don't know what to eat. I can do salad. Is vegetable soup ok?

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I've had a problem with my shoulder too for almost a year. Have you been to a doctor? Your shoulder won't get better on it's own. You need to do the correct exercises to heal it. PT is a must. I swim and couldn't do it a year ago. I'm slowly increasing my laps again. There are movements that still hurt, but I'm focusing on them and slowly getting better. I do alot of leg work in the pool and the gym to compensate. Good luck.
  • KimmieCapone
    KimmieCapone Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    So, first thing - you need to address the frozen shoulder. Typically, this requires being sedated and having an ortho jerk your arm around, then a few weeks of physical therapy. It's only going to get worse if you don't address it now. Once your shoulder is better, you will hopefully no longer be in pain, removing the need for pain medications and, in turn, fixing your stomach issues.

Secondly, you will fail if you look at this as a "diet". This is a lifestyle change and needs to be treated as such. Even with the frozen shoulder, you can walk on the treadmill - something is better than nothing. SLOWLY wean yourself off of the soda, SLOWLY introduce yourself to new and healthy food options. Changing 100 things at one time is a recipe for disaster.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    If you ditch the Pepsi, you'll have 470 extra calories, for food, or to create a calorie deficit with. If it's a daily habit, and you don't have much variety in your diet, no wonder if you feel hungry, you're probably a bit malnourished. Eat what you like. Vegetable soup is ok if you like that. There are so many different vegetables that you should be able to find some recipes you like. But don't eat just vegetable soup and salad. You may have to try each food several times before they start to taste good.

Get real treatment for your shoulder. I've had frozen shoulder myself and it's debilitating and painful, but an extensive exercise regimen with a physical therapist fixed it.
  • bethclarke60
    bethclarke60 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You need to get that shoulder fixed. I had one very painful, but I think different things work for different people. I saw a physiotherapist for months and they eventually recommended a shoulder surgeon, he gave me a steroid shot under General anaesthetic, that worked really well for me. Something else might work for you so see your GP to start with and get it sorted.
    I would also ditch the sugar, all the added stuff that is.
  • alardass715
    alardass715 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I’m in the process of getting over one at present. I injured my shoulder which needed surgery. When they went in they also saw it was frozen and tried to fix it while I was under. Unfortunately that didn’t work so I had the problem of not being able to move it due to surgery recovery but needing to move it for the frozen shoulder.

See a physiotherapist asap. It’s an average of 9 months recovery and I’m well into that now. I am a big runner, mainly running to relieve stress. I was not able to run as the jarring was way to painful, I am getting back into it now but can’t swing one arm so I keep the distances low.

I have tough got into training on a bike and indoor trainer, you could go down the spin bike route. I plucked some training videos from the Global Cycling Network on YouTube. No shoulder problems and some very good cardio. I know it’s not upper body stuff but it’s a good calorie burner.

As others have said cut out fizzy drinks, fruit juice, drinks wise. Water or cold fruit teas-brewed from a bag (red label are nice). Cut out alcohol if you are a drinker as it’s as bad.

Most importantly though get the shoulder checked and fixed, it’s 100% recovery, it just takes time. I have rehab in the pool, walking up and down using the water are resistance for the strengthening work as it starts to thaw out.

Good luck.

Tim
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Just out of curiosity, have you been tested for diabetes? Frozen shoulder is very common in people with untreated diabetes due to poor circulation, and your description of being sick if you don't eat also sounds like a blood sugar issue.

I agree with the recommendation of a stationary bike - no need to move your shoulder. And yes, lose the Pepsi. If you're drinking a liter of Pepsi a day, you can eat quite a few calories of real food instead of drinking Pepsi, so there's no reason you should be hungry once you get past the cravings - which for me took about two weeks when I cut out Coke. The trick to dieting without being hungry is to move enough to earn some extra calories, and eat nutrient dense foods.
  • whosshe
    whosshe Posts: 597 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    All food is okay as long as at the end of the day you hit your calorie goal. You asking if vegetable soup is okay makes me think you haven't been tracking calories at all. Buy a food scale if you don't have one and eat under your goal. 5lbs in 3 months is around a 0.4lb loss a week, you're going to have to deal with the hunger or go see a Dr. because that's not a huge deficit at all. If you are physically ill eating 250 calories (less actually) below maintenance a day you need to see someone for that.
  • annemarie131216
    annemarie131216 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Since I track my calories I realize how much I can eat comparing to the starving days of dieting, and also how many calories are in a lot of ingredients I considered safe. I am on a 1600 kcal diet and I’m full all day long . Veggie soup is a under 200 kcal SNACK! Couldn’t live on soup
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    You do not need to exercise to lose weight. I lost nearly 2 lbs this week simply from a calorie deficit. I did not exercise much at all.... I only made it to the gym one day.

I may have burned perhaps 200 calories with intentional excercise the rest of the week, just doing very very very mild exercise... Pacing around the house to keep my Fitbit steps up over my 5000 step a day goal. Maybe 300 calories burned tops. That's not much.

You need to track your food set a reasonable goal and eat foods that are satisfying. I think that's the biggest problem people have is they don't eat foods that are satisfying. I tried to make sure I meet my mfp protein and fat goals while staying under my calories. It's a challenge... But it can be done.

And I concur with everyone else telling you you need to get that shoulder fixed. You need to see your doctor.
  • mully4235
    mully4235 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've had a problem with my shoulder too for almost a year. Have you been to a doctor? Your shoulder won't get better on it's own. You need to do the correct exercises to heal it. PT is a must. I swim and couldn't do it a year ago. I'm slowly increasing my laps again. There are movements that still hurt, but I'm focusing on them and slowly getting better. I do alot of leg work in the pool and the gym to compensate. Good luck.

I've been to my regular doctor. Did 4 sessions of PT which I actually loved, but insurance doesn't cover it until I reach my deductible which is very high. Had to quit after only those four sessions cost me over $1400. Then you add the costs of the doctor visits, the cost of the xrays they did. I'm close to $2000 I believe and still not near the deductible. AND, it started all over at the beginning of the year :-( He put me in a referral to the orthopedic doctor but I can't get in there until the end of March.
    So, first thing - you need to address the frozen shoulder. Typically, this requires being sedated and having an ortho jerk your arm around, then a few weeks of physical therapy. It's only going to get worse if you don't address it now. Once your shoulder is better, you will hopefully no longer be in pain, removing the need for pain medications and, in turn, fixing your stomach issues.

Secondly, you will fail if you look at this as a "diet". This is a lifestyle change and needs to be treated as such. Even with the frozen shoulder, you can walk on the treadmill - something is better than nothing. SLOWLY wean yourself off of the soda, SLOWLY introduce yourself to new and healthy food options. Changing 100 things at one time is a recipe for disaster.

That's part of what happened last year. I did it full force and went crazy. I did have pepsi though which probably wasn't helping me, I just had less. I think I did it too fast though. I stopped eating at one point because I "had" to lose weight right away and couldn't stand the thought of gaining more and the stupid pepsi adds a ton of calories and I couldn't break it. I could easily get to the point where I had a eating ( or non eating) problem. Several times I called my mom sobbing because I was hungry but I couldn't eat because I didn't want to gain weight. I try to tell myself that walking a little is better than sitting on the couch, but it seems so pointless and I feel like a loser. Is it truly better?

Just out of curiosity, have you been tested for diabetes? Frozen shoulder is very common in people with untreated diabetes due to poor circulation, and your description of being sick if you don't eat also sounds like a blood sugar issue.
    I agree with the recommendation of a stationary bike - no need to move your shoulder. And yes, lose the Pepsi. If you're drinking a liter of Pepsi a day, you can eat quite a few calories of real food instead of drinking Pepsi, so there's no reason you should be hungry once you get past the cravings - which for me took about two weeks when I cut out Coke. The trick to dieting without being hungry is to move enough to earn some extra calories, and eat nutrient dense foods.

I had gestational diabetes when I pregnant with my now 5 year old, so it's not out of the question. I did test for a few months after she was born and was fine. I tried testing a few months ago, but my strips were way expired and my batteries died. And, of course, I can't afford to buy a new tester and those crazy expensive strips :-(
    I've been trying to cut the pepsi habit for years. I went a few week without it before - and thought about it every single day. That's why I don't drink alcohol. Too easy for me to become addicted :-(
    Can't do the bike thing. Riding bikes or walking up stairs kills my knees. They sound like tic tacs when I walk up the stairs.

whosshe wrote: »
    All food is okay as long as at the end of the day you hit your calorie goal. You asking if vegetable soup is okay makes me think you haven't been tracking calories at all. Buy a food scale if you don't have one and eat under your goal. 5lbs in 3 months is around a 0.4lb loss a week, you're going to have to deal with the hunger or go see a Dr. because that's not a huge deficit at all. If you are physically ill eating 250 calories (less actually) below maintenance a day you need to see someone for that.

I was counting calories and measuring and weighing at the end. I was walking a mile a few times a week. I was doing 1200 calories a day.

• wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    How much do you have to lose? I would think 1200 calories a day is too aggressive of a goal. I have lost just under 2 pounds this week averaging 1300 to 1400 calories a day. My current weight is 237. I started at 245. Well originally it was 245. This go around I was at 243.

1200 calories is the bare minimum. Why don't you see what you can accomplish on 1400 calories a day. Make sure you eat foods that are rich in protein and fat as well as fiber. Pay attention to those particular goals in mfp. I don't worry about other things like sugars and carbs and cholesterol etc etc etc. If I meet my protein fat and fiber goals then I'm eating foods that are very satisfying. I tend to eat the same stuff everyday for a long time till I get tired of it LOL. Because I'm lazy and it's easy.

I have been back on track now for about 12 days. I have not really denied myself anything... And I have not been hungry, or hangry. Feel free to look at my diary to get ideas of what I eat. I drink wine almost every night. I've even had ice cream one night. Yesterday I had a Rice Krispie Treat from Starbucks that was huge. 250 calories. That was my lunch LOL. But then I ate better snacks and dinner. Yesterday was my lowest day I didn't meet my protein goal. But that's just one day out of 12.
  • snowflake954
    Options
    I didn't want to say this right off, but if you've already had some sessions with a PT and know what movements are best--can you do them yourself at home? I went on YouTube and found Dr Jo. She has excercises for frozen shoulder and other shoulder injuries. They are simple and easy to follow. Most of the shoulder movements are similar for injuries, so I bought two 1 kg hand weights, a stretching band and a broomstick. I started gently and after a few days started improving alot. That's why I can swim again. I do the exercises everyday, if not, my shoulder starts to get painful again. It's now part of my daily routine and takes 15 min. When you do things yourself you have to be very careful. Since money is an object, you might want to try.
  • whosshe
    whosshe Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    mully4235 wrote: »

I've been to my regular doctor. Did 4 sessions of PT which I actually loved, but insurance doesn't cover it until I reach my deductible which is very high. Had to quit after only those four sessions cost me over $1400. Then you add the costs of the doctor visits, the cost of the xrays they did. I'm close to $2000 I believe and still not near the deductible. AND, it started all over at the beginning of the year :-( He put me in a referral to the orthopedic doctor but I can't get in there until the end of March.

That's part of what happened last year. I did it full force and went crazy. I did have pepsi though which probably wasn't helping me, I just had less. I think I did it too fast though. I stopped eating at one point because I "had" to lose weight right away and couldn't stand the thought of gaining more and the stupid pepsi adds a ton of calories and I couldn't break it. I could easily get to the point where I had a eating ( or non eating) problem. Several times I called my mom sobbing because I was hungry but I couldn't eat because I didn't want to gain weight. I try to tell myself that walking a little is better than sitting on the couch, but it seems so pointless and I feel like a loser. Is it truly better?

I had gestational diabetes when I pregnant with my now 5 year old, so it's not out of the question. I did test for a few months after she was born and was fine. I tried testing a few months ago, but my strips were way expired and my batteries died. And, of course, I can't afford to buy a new tester and those crazy expensive strips :-(
    I've been trying to cut the pepsi habit for years. I went a few week without it before - and thought about it every single day. That's why I don't drink alcohol. Too easy for me to become addicted :-(
    Can't do the bike thing. Riding bikes or walking up stairs kills my knees. They sound like tic tacs when I walk up the stairs.

whosshe wrote: »

I was counting calories and measuring and weighing at the end. I was walking a mile a few times a week. I was doing 1200 calories a day.

What are your stats? If 1200 cals a day is only a 0.4lb a week loss then your maintenance isn't much higher. Like I said, you're going to have to deal with hunger or see a doctor. If you eat 250cals a day more you'll be gaining weight based on what you've given.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Check out YouTube for chair exercises. Those tend to be easy on joints, and created to work around sore spots and injurys. Msybe aqua exercises would also help, since they are resistance, but easier on joints.
    Otherwise, start logging for a couple weeks but don't worry about changing diet too much at first. Just get a baseline of what you eat, how much it weighs, (other threads have good explanations of why weight is better than serving size or measuring cups) why you are eating it (lunchtime, actually hungry, bored, watching tv and snacking) and how you felt physically before, during and an hour after eating. Do that for a couple of weeks, and it will be easier to see where and what you can cut down on. Maybe picking up gum and a craft to watch tv instead of chips and soda, maybe trading the sodas for carbonated waters. Maybe cutting out the pasta or bread portion of a meal, or removing cheede or mayo from sandwiches, or only eating one burger instead of two. Log first, THEN experiment with sustainable ways to stay within calorie budget.
  • 2baninja
    2baninja Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I didn't want to say this right off, but if you've already had some sessions with a PT and know what movements are best--can you do them yourself at home? I went on YouTube and found Dr Jo. She has excercises for frozen shoulder and other shoulder injuries. They are simple and easy to follow. Most of the shoulder movements are similar for injuries, so I bought two 1 kg hand weights, a stretching band and a broomstick. I started gently and after a few days started improving alot. That's why I can swim again. I do the exercises everyday, if not, my shoulder starts to get painful again. It's now part of my daily routine and takes 15 min. When you do things yourself you have to be very careful. Since money is an object, you might want to try.

this definitely, I've never had frozen shoulder, but I've had other issues that I needed PT for, my insurance also doesn't help much, so I would go a few times, then do exercises on my own.
  • mully4235
    mully4235 Posts: 4 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    How much do you have to lose? I would think 1200 calories a day is too aggressive of a goal. I have lost just under 2 pounds this week averaging 1300 to 1400 calories a day. My current weight is 237. I started at 245. Well originally it was 245. This go around I was at 243.

1200 calories is the bare minimum. Why don't you see what you can accomplish on 1400 calories a day. Make sure you eat foods that are rich in protein and fat as well as fiber. Pay attention to those particular goals in mfp. I don't worry about other things like sugars and carbs and cholesterol etc etc etc. If I meet my protein fat and fiber goals then I'm eating foods that are very satisfying. I tend to eat the same stuff everyday for a long time till I get tired of it LOL. Because I'm lazy and it's easy.

A few years ago I tried to lose weight. Counting calories with the app and exercising. Just like last time I didn't cheat. If I had 4 oz of pepsi , I wrote it down. That time I was doing 1400 calories and I only lost like 2 pounds in 3 months. Last time I was weighed (November) I was 154. I'm thinking I gained the 5 pounds I lost back because my fat pants are tight. Sitting around and all those holiday treats didn't help I'm sure. At this point I'd really like to just start with losing 20 pounds, but ideally I'd like to get down to 120. I felt ok weighing that. My lowest was 104, but that was 20 years and three csections ago and that's just not gonna happen now.
    I'll have to make sure I'm getting enough protein and fiber. I'm only 5'0 so I've got that against me.

Yes, and I was doing them at home until a few weeks ago. I should have never stopped. Things seem to have gotten worse since I stopped. I'll be doing them again starting tomorrow, but it's gonna be rough. I can barely lift my arm up high enough to shave or put deodorant on.

I'm feeling more positive about trying again which is good. I was completely dreading it last time. I was going to go cold turkey with the Pepsi but I bought a 12 pack of cans and I'm going to allow myself a can a day the first week. I've found that I don't mind the La Croix grapefruit zero calorie water, but it's more expensive than paying $1 for a 2 liter of pepsi. Before I couldn't walk because it was too cold outside and I refuse to leave the house unless it is a bare minimum of 60 outside and that's really pushing it. I go outside once a week for groceries, that's pretty much it. I freeze in the house. My husband has the heat set on 68, I'll usually put it on 70 when he's not home and I freeze wearing jeans, socks, slippers, and 2 sweaters. I had my thyroid checked years ago and it was fine then. I don't know why I just can't tolerate the cold and freeze all the time. I'm happiest when it's at bare minimum 80 out. So, I finally brought my grandmas 10 year old treadmill home. Now I have no excuse not to walk. It's old and no special features or incline or anything, but it's gotta be better than just sitting I hope? I'm a picky eater, but I've been forcing myself to try a few new things. I actually like fresh green beans now and I could only eat the canned ones before. Doesn't seem like much, but it's big for me.

Does anyone have any suggestions for breakfast? I really don't like eggs. The taste, texture. I tried scrambled eggs (the only kind I would ever eat when I used to eat them) a few months and I almost threw up. I just can't do it yet.

I don't have a problem maintaining my weight. I've been the same weight for 14 years. Other than the 5 pounds I lost last year. My problem is losing. Even drinking all that pepsi I'm still maintaining.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    For breakfast, I usually have steel cut oats made with milk and fruit, with nut butter added, and a side of cottage cheese. But there's no law that says you have to eat breakfast food for breakfast. My husband often eats tuna sandwiches, and I used to have soup for breakfast pretty often.
  • snowflake954
    Options
    The very worst thing you can do with frozen shoulder is rest it--I found out the hard way. You have to move it correctly everyday, even 15 min. I've been doing exercises with Dr Jo-Youtube about 4 months. It has slowly gotten better. I had so much pain just trying to get something off a shelf or get dressed. Now I can do all those things and just have a few twinges now and again. If I lapse on the exercises, it worsens. And after a year, I'm swimming again!
    As for breakfast, you don't have to eat something you don't like. There are alot of breakfast threads with great ideas--just do a search.
    If you don't want to give up your Pepsi, why not buy sugarfree?
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I do not have a meal in the morning. I eat later in the day. If you do not feel like eating eggs in the morning, eat leftovers from the night before. Or cook a small pork chop / whatever you like.