Fitbit with my pal

Options
Seeing how I am gain calories back from the Fitbit.
How many people actually use them, I am having troubles keeping up to the 1700 I am allowed.

Does anyone eat heavy at dinner?
I am probably gonna add in protein shake after workouts and on days I don't lift in the morning.

So pretty much trying to lose 2 lbs a week for 8 weeks, and then maintain.

Replies

• Beaudom91
    Beaudom91 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    2 pounds a week might be a bit of a stretch if you don't have much to lose.

As for eating back the calories, be aware that the numbers given by fitbit are a bit over blown most of the time. A lot of people on here will only eat back about half of theirs to be safe. Personally I eat at my matience amounts then create a deficit with exercise so I don't bother eating any back
  • karynclarke
    karynclarke Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    If you only have 16 pounds to lose, I would suggest aiming for no more than 1 lb a week loss (more reasonably 0.5 lb a week). That would give you an extra 500-750 calories a day to play with. It may take a bit longer to get there, but you won't feel like you're starving yourself doing it
  • Wingsont84
    Wingsont84 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Well I am 218 lb, 5'10.
    I am wanting to be 200, in 2 months. By that time I should be in a full tilt diet, and start losing fat as muscle is building.
  • missmysty
    missmysty Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Any calories burned, no matter what you're using, are going to be inaccurate to a degree, so whether you going by a fitness band or the one that is often on exercise equipment, you need to take it with a grain of salt and not just eat everything back because you could easily wipe out your deficit.

That said, I usually recommend against going all or nothing or 'jump starting' a diet. Easing into things, going half a pound, then a pound, then maybe more if you feel like you need to, makes it easier for a lot of people to get used to it and keep going. It goes slower, but slow weight loss is often the most maintainable.

And as well, muscle builds from a surplus, not a deficit. You need to eat more calories to build muscle, it just becomes muscle instead of fat because you're lifting weights etc.
  • becomingbeautifultoday
    Options
    I personally don't eat back my calories. I calculated my suggest calorie intake with regards to my lifestyle and goals using this site https://www.iifym.com/iifym-calculator/ and then edited my calories and macros on here to what that said.
  • Wingsont84
    Options
    I have my macros 50/30/20, using veggies mainly as my carbs.

With my Fitbit I use for actively, I haven't eaten my food back, I started with 17** calorie intake allowed. Which I still need 2000 with steps and what hasn't been eaten.

My goal is to lose fat, as I had a slow down being hooked to IV. So just looking for lean and about 6 months think about muscle building again.

Which if I lean down 2lb aweek and intake enough protein that should help save my muscle from getting eaten away at.
  • Beaudom91
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I'm afaid that gaining muscle and losing fat don't go hand in hand. You need a surplus of calories and lots of protein to gain muscle, as well as the right workouts of course. Even professional body builders will gain fat while they build muscle (it's called bulking), it's just how the body works. The faster you lose weight the less likely you are to retain what muscle you already have and you risk losing it.

Personally I work on fat loss first then worry about the muscles when I'm at a healthy weight, switching from a weight loss diet to focus on body recomposition but you can't do both at the same time.

Doesn't mean to say you can't workout and improve your fitness while you focus on weightloss though of course
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    According to my fitbit i burn 2400 ish on my lazy days. On my active days 3300. I eat 2200 daily (mfp is set to that and does not adjust due to the fitbit), i try to go on a weekly basis for a deficit. For me its easier eating the same amount everyday.
  • Beaudom91
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Fflpnari wrote: »
    According to my fitbit i burn 2400 ish on my lazy days. On my active days 3300. I eat 2200 daily (mfp is set to that and does not adjust due to the fitbit), i try to go on a weekly basis for a deficit. For me its easier eating the same amount everyday.

I think fitbit works by including the calories you burn simply by being alive and breathing as part of your daily calorie burn, which is not represented in that way on MFP. So a whole chunk of those burned calories are already accounted for in your MFP daily calorie allowance rather than calories that need to be eaten back
  • Wingsont84
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Beaudom91 wrote: »
    I'm afaid that gaining muscle and losing fat don't go hand in hand. You need a surplus of calories and lots of protein to gain muscle, as well as the right workouts of course. Even professional body builders will gain fat while they build muscle (it's called bulking), it's just how the body works. The faster you lose weight the less likely you are to retain what muscle you already have and you risk losing it.

Personally I work on fat loss first then worry about the muscles when I'm at a healthy weight, switching from a weight loss diet to focus on body recomposition but you can't do both at the same time.

Doesn't mean to say you can't workout and improve your fitness while you focus on weightloss though of course

That what I plan to do, leaning for 6 months and then hoping to build muscle mass, I am at 218 right now 5'10, I am looking to be 190 - 195 at that point, so will be lean not ripped. 6 months from now at 190ish, I will think increase my protein/Cal and lift heavy and hope that roots me to a 185 lb lean mass look by end of 2018
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options

I think fitbit works by including the calories you burn simply by being alive and breathing as part of your daily calorie burn, which is not represented in that way on MFP. You a whole chunk of those burned calories are already accounted for in your MFP daily calorie allowance rather than calories that need to be eaten back

you can set it up so it adds you exercise calories into MFP for the day. I do not do this. I have more of a TDEE approach.

My BMR with fitbit is 1809
  • missmysty
    missmysty Posts: 13 Member
    Options

I think fitbit works by including the calories you burn simply by being alive and breathing as part of your daily calorie burn, which is not represented in that way on MFP. So a whole chunk of those burned calories are already accounted for in your MFP daily calorie allowance rather than calories that need to be eaten back

Not necessarily true if he allows for the negative calorie adjustments, which will bring down the calorie goal at the start of the day and then bring it back up again if you move enough.
  • Wingsont84
    Options
    Well my calories will be low, I am only going by the my pal intake, the rest will just be a cheat meal bonus once a week, I working on fine tuning right now. Still have a few bad habits to lose, and a movitaion to in prove. First day back to work after being off 6 weeks due to injury. So it's all in a building plan right now, all info gets took in and I will take it all in and make the best out of it