Help please

Options
Hi , I have a question, as you loose weight, do the calories u can have go down ? Worried i will plateau at some point if they don't......

Replies

• MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    Yes they will. You will also have to eventually lower your weekly weight loss goal the closer you get to your goal weight.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    MFP should prompt you to recalculate your goals so that the calories lower every ten pounds or so if you're using the default setup. If you have any custom goals set then you may need to go in and do it yourself as you lose.
  • dinadyna21
    dinadyna21 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1077746/starvation-mode-adaptive-thermogenesis-and-weight-loss/p1

Definitely read the stickies in the Most Helpful threads, but the one I linked above explains things pretty well.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Yup, but it's really not a huge amount.

For example, right now at 150lbs, the calories I need to maintain this weight are approximately 1726 (calculated with a TDEE calculator, factoring in my sex, weight, height and activity level).

When I reach my goal weight of 130lbs, the calories I need to maintain that weight will drop to 1617. So the 20lbs difference is a 109 calorie difference in maintenance.

If I choose to become more active, the number of calories I can eat will rise too.

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    MFP should prompt you to recalculate your goals so that the calories lower every ten pounds or so if you're using the default setup. If you have any custom goals set then you may need to go in and do it yourself as you lose.

I lost 80 lbs, and MFP never prompted me to recalculate. I had to learn that from devouring the forums.
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »

I lost 80 lbs, and MFP never prompted me to recalculate. I had to learn that from devouring the forums.

Pretty sure this is a stupid question for as long as I've been around here, but it seems stupid questions have been my main contribution all my life.

What the Sam Hill is "recalculate" exactly? I mean, what exactly do you have to click on and how do you know if it's been done or not? I've never seen a recalculate prompt.
  • anyWendy
    anyWendy Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    OldHobo wrote: »
    Orphia wrote: »

Pretty sure this is a stupid question for as long as I've been around here, but it seems stupid questions have been my main contribution all my life.

What the Sam Hill is "recalculate" exactly? I mean, what exactly do you have to click on and how do you know if it's been done or not? I've never seen a recalculate prompt.

From the MFP menu, select Goals. Click on "Calorie and Macronutrient Goals" to verify what your current goals are set at. Then click on any of the following: Current Weight, Goal Weight, Weekly Goal, or Activity Level. You should get a pop up asking Are You Sure?, telling you that it will recalculate your goals. If you select Yes to proceed, it will update your current goal # of calories based on the changes you make.

I have found it helpful to play around with these settings to see the impact different changes have to my calories (e.g. how many more calories I am given if I increase my activity level, and how many fewer calories I will need once I reach my goal weight). I like to readjust these numbers with every 5 pounds lost, but that is mostly because the numbers are interesting to me. Good luck!
  • gogetemrogue
    gogetemrogue Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    anyWendy wrote: »
    [

From the MFP menu, select Goals. Click on "Calorie and Macronutrient Goals" to verify what your current goals are set at. Then click on any of the following: Current Weight, Goal Weight, Weekly Goal, or Activity Level. You should get a pop up asking Are You Sure?, telling you that it will recalculate your goals. If you select Yes to proceed, it will update your current goal # of calories based on the changes you make.

I have found it helpful to play around with these settings to see the impact different changes have to my calories (e.g. how many more calories I am given if I increase my activity level, and how many fewer calories I will need once I reach my goal weight). I like to readjust these numbers with every 5 pounds lost, but that is mostly because the numbers are interesting to me. Good luck!

As an added note if you have your macros set to something other than default, doing this will restore your macro goals to MFP defaults, so it's a good idea to take a quick look at your macro %s before you recalculate so that you can set them back to your preferences. Personally find the default carbs setting to be too high if I want to eat nutrient dense and satiating foods.