Eating Without Being Hungry

Options
I've played the yo-yo game with my weight my whole life and now that I'm trying to start having a family, I know it is super important to be at a healthy weight. I find myself eating just for the sake of eating at night. I will be full and still feel the need to eat something - usually unhealthy. I've always had issues with overeating but I feel it's at an all time worse for me. Any advice on how to break it? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I save calories for an evening snack. It's almost always chocolate. Whatever your snack is, weigh out a portion equivalent to the calories you've saved, enjoy it, and put the rest away. You can also buy individually wrapped portions of things like candy or chips if it's hard to put away the rest of the bag. You might have your snack with a low-calorie drink if you still want something to munch on.
  • rekite2000
    rekite2000 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I craft sometimes. (Keeps my hands busy). Trust me- it isn’t anything cool or sellable, but it helps a lot.

I will eat frozen veggies- hand mouth thing. It is cold and crunchy so I do not eat a lot of them. Frozen peas are better than most expect. My kids prefer them that way.
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I like to munch on raw veggies at night. That way, even if I am only eating for the sake of eating, the calories are negligible.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I'm a night time eater, I don't hide from it.

I just don't eat until 1-2pm so that I can have all my calories later in the day.
  • crazykatlady820
    crazykatlady820 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I get at least half my calories in the evening and try to save some up for that time too. I also remind myself that I can eat at maintenance for the day if I just can't shake that feeling, and sometimes I do just that.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I too save some calories for evening but one thing I have noticed is that if I am snacking alot it usually means I'm not getting enough protein in my meals so I will try the next day to increase protein and fat and reduce the carbs a bit.
  • SteamPug
    SteamPug Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I like to drink peppermint tea in the evenings in place of snacking. It’s a nice warm treat that’s kinder on my teeth than sugary/acidic drinks and snacks
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Save calories so you can still enjoy eating at night time.

Alot of the time my night time eating happened because I was bored so keeping busy helps - I got into sketching and painting and now I hardly think of snacking. I also sip a lot of water/tea.

Watching TV especially foodie programmes makes me want to snack too so I only watch them early evening, shortly after dinner so I wont feel tempted to eat.

Ask yourself is it true hunger, usually its just a notion/habit of wanting to eat.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    blambo61 wrote: »
    Might try getting your calories in later in the day and start eating at lunch or later. Then you can eat at night and possibly not eat too many calories.
    This. It's why I don't eat breakfast in the morning...........................because I'm still fine from the night before.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I like to eat at night so that's when I consume most of my calories. That might help you if the only time you have this problem is at night.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Here are some strategies that work for me:

- Don't keep "snacky" food in the house (the most "snacky" items in my kitchen are carrots, celery, cheese)
    - Brush, floss and mouthwash after dinner
    - Sip on hot tea (I love the flavored teas from David's Tea!)
    - Save some extra calories for the evening by skipping breakfast
  • chestinator
    chestinator Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I always have my coffee and cake (or sweet treat) at some stage in the day and this keeps me on the straight and narrow. Also as someone above said, plan your meals in advance if possible, modify/balance it out on MFP and stick to it. If you have a sweet/savory tooth then anything else just wont cut it. Build it into your macros and rest easy :smiley: