Advice? Did my first workout in a long time

Options
I did half weight training and half cardio for a total of 40 min. I did legs, arms, shoulders, and pecs. I am sore as all hell. I want to go back to the gym today anyways but I'm not sure if I should push through the pain and try to do some more weight training or if I should just stick with cardio and give the weights a break...

I don't wanna hit a wall that makes me not want to come back.
But I want to be effective in gaining more muscle mass so I can burn more calories at rest and *kitten*.
I find the idea of being a very strong woman very appealing and I am making it my goal to be able to lift more and more. I don't even care if it makes me gain a little weight at first as long as I keep losing fat. But what should I do? What would you do?

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Go workout. It'll make your sore muscles feel better.
  • echastee92
    echastee92 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    ALSO how much can you guys do on the leg press? I started at 115 and that sounds like a lot but is it normal?
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    echastee92 wrote: »
    ALSO how much can you guys do on the leg press? I started at 115 and that sounds like a lot but is it normal?

I don't leg press often, but 500+
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Try 2-3x week for 1-2 months. Then start adding days as your body adapts to the new lifestyle.

115 leg press is a lot for “you” at this time. In a few months you’ll be doing much more. Do not compare yourself to others. It also depends on the type of equipment. We have 2 different leg press machines and we all use vastly different weights on each.
  • kwalton65
    kwalton65 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I would go back and do one more circuit of full body workout like you just did, then take 2 days off to rest. Rest is more important. after a week or two and you have got form down and your muscles warmed up, you can start a regular routine and hit certain muscles each day while resting the others. Just make sure you rest those muscles and you will see newbie growth real quick.
  • brendanwhite84
    brendanwhite84 Posts: 220 Member
    Options

What's your squat? I don't use machines so I'm curious what the relationship between leg press and squat is, if indeed it can scale linearly between them.
  • quiksylver296
    Options

What's your squat? I don't use machines so I'm curious what the relationship between leg press and squat is, if indeed it can scale linearly between them.

Poverty squat - 226. No. Leg press does not scale linearly to squat. Most everyone can leg press tons more than they can squat.
  • brendanwhite84
    brendanwhite84 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Poverty squat - 226. No. Leg press does not scale linearly to squat. Most everyone can leg press tons more than they can squat.

Don't feel bad - my squat blows (partially due to my body geometry). Just over bodyweight 1RM right now.

My DL isn't awful though. :smile:
  • echastee92
    echastee92 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    kwalton65 wrote: »
    I would go back and do one more circuit of full body workout like you just did, then take 2 days off to rest. Rest is more important. after a week or two and you have got form down and your muscles warmed up, you can start a regular routine and hit certain muscles each day while resting the others. Just make sure you rest those muscles and you will see newbie growth real quick.
    Sounds good to me
  • quiksylver296
    Options

Don't feel bad - my squat blows (partially due to my body geometry). Just over bodyweight 1RM right now.

My DL isn't awful though. :smile:

Deadlift is my jam. Shooting for 400 lbs this year, as a 43 year old female.
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Totally depends on the kind of machine you're using for leg press!
    We have two in our gym...
    - The kind with a fixed seat near the floor that you load up with Olympic plates. We know that the carriage on our one weighs 46kg, so you're always pressing that plus whatever you put on.
    - The kind with a fixed footplate and a seat that moves on sliders, where you put the pin in the stack of weights to set your weight. The weight of the carriage on this depends on your body weight, since you're moving your own weight, the weight of the seat (well, a percentage as the track is diagonal) plus the stack of weights. No-one knows how much the seat etc weighs on this one!

So be a bit careful when you're comparing leg press numbers!

(My leg press is hilariously terrible, but I do have neurological issues to blame it on...)

On the other question, go work out. Don't push TOO hard but you may find you feel fine after a decent warmup.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

No, it definitely doesn't.

Last time I did leg press and squat, I did a 340 single and pressed "all the plates" on the leg sled. It was well over 600 lbs. It was a standard rogue/pro gym machine. and the plates were 45s. At that point I weighed about 245, so squat weight was at least 100 lbs less than the sled press.
  • jesse_323
    jesse_323 Posts: 49 Member
    Options

I don't leg press ever but squat around 250lbs, I'm curious what I can leg press now..
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    jesse_323 wrote: »

I don't leg press ever but squat around 250lbs, I'm curious what I can leg press now..

Dude, try it. It's fun and good for your ego. :laugh:
  • quiksylver296
    Options

Last time I did leg press and squat, I did a 340 single and pressed "all the plates" on the leg sled. It was well over 600 lbs. It was a standard rogue/pro gym machine. and the plates were 45s. At that point I weighed about 245, so squat weight was at least 100 lbs less than the sled press.

Oooh, we could make one of those videos with all the plates and a person sitting on the sled while you press. I volunteer to sit on top!
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I did half weight training and half cardio for a total of 40 min. I did legs, arms, shoulders, and pecs. I am sore as all hell. I want to go back to the gym today anyways but I'm not sure if I should push through the pain and try to do some more weight training or if I should just stick with cardio and give the weights a break...

But I want to be effective in gaining more muscle mass so I can burn more calories at rest and *kitten*.
    I find the idea of being a very strong woman very appealing and I am making it my goal to be able to lift more and more. I don't even care if it makes me gain a little weight at first as long as I keep losing fat. But what should I do? What would you do?

Personally, working out - at least doing cardio and maybe some lighter reps - keeps me dedicated and ends up helping my muscles recoup a little as a well. I say go for it.
  • jesse_323
    jesse_323 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    jesse_323 wrote: »

Dude, try it. It's fun and good for your ego. :laugh:

I start a new program later this month that has leg presses as an accessory on lower day, so I will be soon!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

I would recommend looking into a full body lifting routine...these are typically done 3x per week. You don't want to work the same muscles or groups of muscles on consecutive days. Doing a full body program 3x per week will allow for good recovery and you can do some lite to moderate cardio on non lifting days. Following an established program is going to be far more efficient than doing your own thing.

ETA: I've been lifting for over 5 years and off and on before that...I still run a full body program. I personally wouldn't bother with a split unless you are actually body building or just like spending that much time in the weight room.

Don't do the comparison thing...you do what you can do...you can't compare yourself to people who have been lifting for years.
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    I cannot emphasize this enough... TAKE IT SLOWLY!!!!! Your goal should be to change your habits to more healthier habits. If you do things like "work through the pain" you'll burn yourself out.
    You should be training for a marathon, not a race.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

Oooh, we could make one of those videos with all the plates and a person sitting on the sled while you press. I volunteer to sit on top!

1. My knees aren't up for that just this minute
    2. It was mostly an ego thing(not mine.. well maybe a little)... We were deployed in SW Asia, and I had been doing kettlebell work for about 18 months(this was about the time my profile pic was taken) and had gotten up to 24 Kilo doubles/one hand and some of the Barbell bros were doing some kitten measuring, and asked me if I wanted to play along... So I did. That's not my biggest leg press.... When I was younger I was at a gym that had a sled with longer bars and I think I did 750ish . Needless to say, they shut up about the sissy bells.

But give me 3-4 more months, I'm almost back to healthy on the knees