3 meals, or 5 meals?

Options
I usually eat breakfast, lunch, dinner, and maybe 1 or 2 snacks if I get hungry between meals but I am wondering if it is actually healthier to spread it out and just eat 5 smaller meals throughout the day?

Replies

• SolidGoaled
    SolidGoaled Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Some people swear that 5-6 meals will be best for metabolism - for me, I have to keep it simple and do 3 meals/no snacks. When I snack, I overdo it and the calories add up too fast.
  • emmaNEEDSskinny
    Options
    bump x
  • audram420
    audram420 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I enjoy breaking it up at times and doing 5 small meals...you kind of trick your mind into thinking your eating MORE food MORE often and you don't let yourself get hungry!!
  • n3wlif3styl3
    Options
    Some people swear that 5-6 meals will be best for metabolism - for me, I have to keep it simple and do 3 meals/no snacks. When I snack, I overdo it and the calories add up too fast.

I agree that snacking might lead to overdoing it but if I am keeping track of every little thing I eat and making sure I don't go over it might be better. Did you overdo it even while tracking your meals or was that before you started tracking?
  • n3wlif3styl3
    Options
    bump x

sorry not quite sure what bump x means? kinda new to this :)
  • n3wlif3styl3
    Options
    I enjoy breaking it up at times and doing 5 small meals...you kind of trick your mind into thinking your eating MORE food MORE often and you don't let yourself get hungry!!

hahaha love it! But if I switch to 5 meals I am kinda worried I'll eat the snacks I plan even if I'm not hungry....do you ever find yourself doing that?
  • GPSHEALTHCOACHING
    GPSHEALTHCOACHING Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to eat 5-6 mini meals per day at 200-250 calories each meal.
  • rairye
    rairye Posts: 27
    Options
    I do the 5 or 6 meals because I hear it is best for your metabolism especially if you are devoting serious time to working out, but a "meal" can be an apple and peanut butter or a serving of crackers. Keeping track does keep you a little more accountable and I'm sure you will find those who will be happy to help you stay accountable. Add me if you'd like :)
  • cabul3
    cabul3 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    i generally have 3 meals per day, with a couple snacks in between if i get hungry. simple :o)
  • cillytilly
    cillytilly Posts: 243
    Options
    There are mixed things abou thte 3 or the 5-6 meals plan in medical journals now. I am one of those people who has done both and the 5-6 meals does not work for me because I still am as hungrey in the evenings as i am if I do the three meals. If I need a snack I have one usually a few almonds or a peice of fruit. Though my main calories come in three meals.
  • emmaNEEDSskinny
    Options
    bump means like saving the topic and seeing what the awnser is to your questions x
  • SmartFunGorgeous
    SmartFunGorgeous Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I eat three meals, and two -three snacks. They're scheduled and planned for, but usually less than 150 calories. That way I don't go crazy at meal time and panic because I'm going to have to wait for water to boil. I've been known to do crazy stuff when I was hungry! =)
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Your choice, find what works best for you!

Just stay within your calories, drink lots of water and get good amts of Protein and Fiber (more than MFP recommends), exercise and limit your fat, simple carbs and sodium and you will see results very soon!

Best of Luck!
  • Fiesta80
    Fiesta80 Posts: 35
    Options
    i do 5/6 meals because it works for me. Everyone is different obviously. I didn't think I'd like it when I first started it, but I don't think I could do it any other way now. I'm never hungry, and my body is used to the meal times.