Help! Meeting With a Trainer: What Should I Focus On?

I have been following a professionally-designed progressive resistance program for almost 2 years. Each hour-ish workout (24 total) is a good mix of core lifts and accessories, interspersed with more metabolic type things. Some days are higher rep, some are low-rep strength days, some are AMRAP days, etc. I have been using DBs to this point.

We got a Y membership as our family Christmas present, and I am going to take advantage of their 3-session trainer package while also "graduating" to the barbell for many of the lifts.

Although in general I strive to use good form, and regularly have my form looked at in a pink weights kind of class, I am reaching the point where I really need someone to scrutinize my form with the heavier lifts; I slightly tweaked my back doing 110# DLs a few months of months ago, and after taking a few weeks off to heal and deload have been afraid to go beyond 90# without being dead certain on my form (and I am just doing RDLs now). Also, I have not been progressing with squats because my butt can lift a lot more than my arms can, and I can only clean 35's for a DB front squat, so I need to get in a rack. Finally, I am pressing 70# but would feel better with a spotter and BB when I am ready to load on more weight (current reps at this weight are 10/8/6; I move up when I can do 12/12/12).

So this is what I am planning to ask from the trainer:

--current body fat assessment
--assessing 1 rep max
--assessing ballpark weight I should be lifting for high rep days and strength days
--assessing and correcting form on bench, DL, squats, snatch (DB and BB), and assorted rows

Anything else I should be asking about?

My current goal is just to continue to recomp and have a foundation of strength as I grow older. I am 45, 5'6" and 145 lbs.

Thanks, everyone, for your help!

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    I'd be surprised if a trainer at a Y can give you what you are looking for. I had to track down an actual powerlifting/bodybuilding gym trainer to get good feedback on form, etc.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Have them go over form for all the moves you want to do, rather than spend all their time on the fitness benchmarks they want to go through with everyone. Also if you don't plan on seeing them regularly say so up front and explain what you're hoping to get out of the appointment.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    I'd be surprised if a trainer at a Y can give you what you are looking for. I had to track down an actual powerlifting/bodybuilding gym trainer to get good feedback on form, etc.

That's what I am afraid of. :o My top-secret desire is to start learning some of the Olympic lifts, just for kicks, and that is definitely going to be a niche. We have numerous Y's in our area, and I am just starting to peruse the trainer lists, so I am hoping that there will be one somewhere that can address my current more modest needs. I've seen some women lifting BBs with awesome form, so I can always bug them for recommendations as well.

Also, I am really nervous about walking into the squat rack for the first time and looking like a dumb@ss. :D
  • quiksylver296

That's what I am afraid of. :o My top-secret desire is to start learning some of the Olympic lifts, just for kicks, and that is definitely going to be a niche. We have numerous Y's in our area, and I am just starting to peruse the trainer lists, so I am hoping that there will be one somewhere that can address my current more modest needs. I've seen some women lifting BBs with awesome form, so I can always bug them for recommendations as well.

Also, I am really nervous about walking into the squat rack for the first time and looking like a dumb@ss. :D

Reference the squat rack, don't sweat it. If you've watched form videos, you know approximately what you should be doing. The first time you see a huge gym-bro in the squat rack doing quarter-squats, you'll laugh and be forever fine!
  • French_Peasant
    Have them go over form for all the moves you want to do, rather than spend all their time on the fitness benchmarks they want to go through with everyone. Also if you don't plan on seeing them regularly say so up front and explain what you're hoping to get out of the appointment.

Our system provides an application where you can outline your goals--and good point on specifying that it will not be ongoing. Although they probably get a lot of that with the discount 3-session packages regardless, poor guys (and girls).
  • French_Peasant

Reference the squat rack, don't sweat it. If you've watched form videos, you know approximately what you should be doing. The first time you see a huge gym-bro in the squat rack doing quarter-squats, you'll laugh and be forever fine!

Ha ha! Thus far I only do parallel myself, so can't laugh at anyone, but if I start with the bar, should probably go ATG since it's in my range of motion.

I do have to say, it is very intimidating to walk in with all these huge guys, but I just find my quiet corner and try not to stare at the ones DL'ing 3+ plates. It's a little different from my work gym.
  • quiksylver296

Ha ha! Thus far I only do parallel myself, so can't laugh at anyone, but if I start with the bar, should probably go ATG since it's in my range of motion.

I do have to say, it is very intimidating to walk in with all these huge guys, but I just find my quiet corner and try not to stare at the ones DL'ing 3+ plates. It's a little different from my work gym.

I don't ATG, as it isn't required in powerlifting. There is some research that ATG may be more prone to injury due to the increase in range of motion. Parallel is plenty!
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    My gym gave me two PT sessions free when I signed up and I only used one as it was a fairly routine workout and test and then some up-sell. I felt free to hit her up for a question or two the rest of that week even though I wasn't buying any packages.