Overindulging in Happy Hours...

Options
Hey friends!

I'm a girl who loves her happy hour, which is prprecisely why I lost 25 pounds and then gained 30 back in 6 months...

I know I can't be the only one who likes to enjoy some drinks and appetizers with friends so how do we keep the weight off but still enjoy being a foodie?! Tricks to keep yourself full or not overeat??

Replies

• dinadyna21
    dinadyna21 Posts: 403 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I could literally eat my weight in quesadillas and nachos while drinking. It's why I haven't been to my favorite happy hour in months, Blue Mesa Grill has magical margaritas and free quesadillas during happy hour. Until I'm comfortable with my ability to moderate myself I'll have to stay away though, makes me sad :(
    I know others have mentioned drinking a lot water before going out so your stomach is full and you don't overindulge. Could be worth a shot.
  • geordynkirsch
    geordynkirsch Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    @dinadyna21 Ohhh you've got me with nachos! Queso and margs are the best and worst thing in the world!

Don't be afraid to cheat every once and a while though, I completely understand wanting to moderate or being uncomfortable or untrusting in your willpower, but you gotta keep your heart and soul happy too
  • geordynkirsch
    Options
    @dinadyna21 Ohhh you've got me with nachos! Queso and margs are the best and worst thing in the world!

Don't be afraid to cheat every once and a while though, I completely understand wanting to moderate or being uncomfortable or untrusting in your willpower, but you gotta keep your heart and soul happy too

Oh and I definitely need to try the water thing
  • Ohhhtayyyy
    Ohhhtayyyy Posts: 49 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    This is my problem and then I say I’m just going do liquid happy hour which probably is even worse considering how much sugar and calories is in one drink :(
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I have kids now, so going to happy hours are a thing of the past. We do get together for drinks and food with our friends, but it's usually only once or twice per month on a Saturday evening so those occasions aren't really very relevant to the bigger picture.

Back when I did partake in happy hour regularly, I was also pretty active in my day to day so it was never really much of an issue. As it stands now, I just make sure I exercise regularly and have my diet on point most of the time so that when I do let lose, it's not really a big deal.
  • dinadyna21
    Options

I cheat at home with prosecco and homemade nachos but I feel like I miss the atmosphere and the experience more than anything, and those delicious margaritas
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Try making high-calorie drinks a "sometimes" drink and find a lower calorie drink to order during most happy hours. So, a large frozen margarita once or twice a month, and vodka soda for regular outings. A high ABV craft beer once a week, then switch to a lighter beer. Alternate water or diet soda with alcoholic drinks.

Appetizers are the hard part for me. I try to pre-log my day and make sure we're sharing. I also try to eat lunch later or have a low-cal, high volume snack (apple, veggie sticks, hot cup of veggie soup) before leaving work so I'm not starving - it leads me to snack on a meal's worth of fried/cheesy appetizers then go home and eat whatever I planned to make for dinner also (oops!).
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Hey friends!

I'm a girl who loves her happy hour, which is prprecisely why I lost 25 pounds and then gained 30 back in 6 months...

I know I can't be the only one who likes to enjoy some drinks and appetizers with friends so how do we keep the weight off but still enjoy being a foodie?! Tricks to keep yourself full or not overeat??

Bar food tends to be ridiculously calorie dense. I usually sneak a protein bar if I get hungry while dancing at a bar (generally nothing is worth the calories for me unless I happen to actually be craving chicken wings that day; and I'm generally there for the dancing and not the food & drink). For drinks, stick with something that doesn't have a high calorie mix-in (no juice or syrup or non-diet tonic) if having multiple drinks. It sucks - I know.. but if you pay attention, you will start to notice those friends around you who do regularly partake are slowly packing it on over time.
  • dinadyna21
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    Hey friends!

Bar food tends to be ridiculously calorie dense. I usually sneak a protein bar if I get hungry while dancing at a bar (generally nothing is worth the calories for me unless I happen to actually be craving chicken wings that day; and I'm generally there for the dancing and not the food & drink). For drinks, stick with something that doesn't have a high calorie mix-in (no juice or syrup or non-diet tonic) if having multiple drinks. It sucks - I know.. but if you pay attention, you will start to notice those friends around you who do regularly partake are slowly packing it on over time.

Actually that's a great idea, mixing low cal drinks. Can't believe I never thought about this. Maybe like a vodka and seltzer. Or rum and diet coke
  • geordynkirsch
    Options
    Ohhhtayyyy wrote: »
    This is my problem and then I say I’m just going do liquid happy hour which probably is even worse considering how much sugar and calories is in one drink :(

Gaahhh so true, drink are AWFUL especially if you're a wineo like I am and can happily polish off a bottle to myself Lol woops
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Plan for it and save calories for such occasions.
  • dinadyna21
    Options
    Ohhhtayyyy wrote: »

Gaahhh so true, drink are AWFUL especially if you're a wineo like I am and can happily polish off a bottle to myself Lol woops

This is so me! Give me a bottle of prosecco sans wine glass and it's a wrap.
  • geordynkirsch
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    Hey friends!

Yesssss I generally drink bacardi tonic or soda when I do go out and try to watch calories. Agreed though, bar food is the devil
  • geordynkirsch
    Options
    laur357 wrote: »
    Try making high-calorie drinks a "sometimes" drink and find a lower calorie drink to order during most happy hours. So, a large frozen margarita once or twice a month, and vodka soda for regular outings. A high ABV craft beer once a week, then switch to a lighter beer. Alternate water or diet soda with alcoholic drinks.

Appetizers are the hard part for me. I try to pre-log my day and make sure we're sharing. I also try to eat lunch later or have a low-cal, high volume snack (apple, veggie sticks, hot cup of veggie soup) before leaving work so I'm not starving - it leads me to snack on a meal's worth of fried/cheesy appetizers then go home and eat whatever I planned to make for dinner also (oops!).

That's so funny I prelog my days too! If I don't follow my log or go over on my calories I'll do an extra 20 mins cardio to try to burn a bit more off my day (currently biking to do this, ironically)
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    20 minutes of cardio burns maybe 150 calories. That isn't even the equivalent of 1 good beer, so don't think you're making a huge difference with the cardio.

Putting 30 lbs on in that short of time is a little concerning. As in, I wonder if you might be in denial about how much you are eating and drinking. You don't have to skip Happy Hour, but you have to learn some self control. Just because the prices are low and you out with friends doesn't mean you can order 1 of everything and go until the plates and glasses are empty.

Bar food is usually very high in calories and it is meant to be shared. So the plate of nachos, basket of fries, plate of sliders etc are all meant to be shared by the table. Choose 1 item for you and your friends to share and know that your portion probably has at least 400 calories in it. If you drink on top of that then think about what you are getting. Hard liquor shot and a no-cal mixer is about 100 cals. Lite beer is about 100 cals. Glass of wine is about 150 cals. These are all good choices if you can limit yourself to 1.

Btw- mixed happy hour drinks (margaritas, cosmos, pina coladas, mojitos etc) are likely less liquor and more mixer than the non happy hour versions.

I'd guess by now, you know the bar menus for the places you frequent. Plan your trip before you go and have the discipline to stick to your plan. Also, go the last hour of happy hour so that you're not tempted to stay for 3 hours and indulge the whole time.
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Truth be told, it sounds like you have to cut back on your happy hours. I had to sacrifice/cut back on stuff I loved too when I realized I just couldn't find a way around it.
  • murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I used to be a regular at happy hour, but the last few years that has really changed now that I am so aware of what I put into my body (and also my decreased alcohol tolerance haha). I really miss it sometimes! One thing I've tried to do is find places that do happy hour that aren't the traditional bar food type of place. For example I found a sushi place near my office downtown that has an amazing happy hour and their specials include not only sushi but sashimi and seaweed salad. That is now my happy hour place with my friends that work downtown and we go there once or twice a month.

Otherwise, I really just have to plan for it. I am going to happy hour/dinner tonight and tomorrow night, so today and tomorrow I am eating very light (in fact I'll probably fast tomorrow). Occasionally I have a good sugary cocktail, but I usually stick to prosecco, vodka soda or white wine.

Good luck, and have fun!
  • Trish1c
    Trish1c Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    The tonic will kill your calorie intake. Stick to soda. Also try 1 drink, 1 pint of water. You are there & social. The water helps keep you full & more sober.

Do what the super models do -- eat ridiculously little portions of the bad stuff. For example they will split a cheese burger among 4 people. Your mouth is happy but so is your waste so 1-2 mozz sticks; 5-6 nachos; etc. or eat healthier apps like shrimp cocktail or crudité
  • geordynkirsch
    Options
    murp4069 wrote: »
    I used to be a regular at happy hour, but the last few years that has really changed now that I am so aware of what I put into my body (and also my decreased alcohol tolerance haha). I really miss it sometimes! One thing I've tried to do is find places that do happy hour that aren't the traditional bar food type of place. For example I found a sushi place near my office downtown that has an amazing happy hour and their specials include not only sushi but sashimi and seaweed salad. That is now my happy hour place with my friends that work downtown and we go there once or twice a month.

Otherwise, I really just have to plan for it. I am going to happy hour/dinner tonight and tomorrow night, so today and tomorrow I am eating very light (in fact I'll probably fast tomorrow). Occasionally I have a good sugary cocktail, but I usually stick to prosecco, vodka soda or white wine.

Good luck, and have fun!

Oh I love sushi!! Happy to hear you found a compromise for your happy hours
  • geordynkirsch
    Options
    Trish1c wrote: »
    The tonic will kill your calorie intake. Stick to soda. Also try 1 drink, 1 pint of water. You are there & social. The water helps keep you full & more sober.

Do what the super models do -- eat ridiculously little portions of the bad stuff. For example they will split a cheese burger among 4 people. Your mouth is happy but so is your waste so 1-2 mozz sticks; 5-6 nachos; etc. or eat healthier apps like shrimp cocktail or crudité

Thanks! I couldn't remember if it was tonic or soda that had all the calories, I know it was one of them. And I can definitely get down for some shrimp cocktail!!