So I have heard 2 different things about Vibrams

Options
I was going to get a pair because I heard that they will MAKE you run the correct way. Then I heard they are for people who already run the correct way. Which is true???

Replies

• AmberLiscous
    AmberLiscous Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Not sure but when i was running in mine....my calves hurt so badly that I cried!!!! I switched to shoes and now the pain is gone!!!!
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I changed my stride, but only slightly. I love mine, but it's taken about 4 months for my muscles to get used to them. I've heard of runners giving themselves a year to get their bodies used to a new stride.
  • bbush18
    bbush18 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    It only took me 2 weeks to get used to mine (but I occasionally barefoot run!) They will make you run the correct way because you end up using the muscles you don't work as hard when you're running with regular padded running shoes. I wouldn't go as far as saying they're for people who already run the correct way--they're definately SUPER light for those who already run regularly. It'll be an easier adjustment for forefoot runners than for heel strikers... I LOVE my pair! If I could, I'd wear them all the time--my hubby won't let me! :) hahaha!
  • runslikeagirl
    runslikeagirl Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    It only took me 2 weeks to get used to mine (but I occasionally barefoot run!) They will make you run the correct way because you end up using the muscles you don't work as hard when you're running with regular padded running shoes. I wouldn't go as far as saying they're for people who already run the correct way--they're definately SUPER light for those who already run regularly. It'll be an easier adjustment for forefoot runners than for heel strikers... I LOVE my pair! If I could, I'd wear them all the time--my hubby won't let me! :) hahaha!

I run every other day for the past year!! I have newtons now but is very interested in the vibrams. I just don't wanna injury myself if I get a pair because I know I don't have perfect form.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Vibrams take some adjustment and transitioning to them should be done slowly. FIrst few times, I found I had muscle soreness in my calves afterwards. That being said, it also helped strengthen my feet and shins, and I feel stronger as well.

They will correct your stride in that you no longer have a wedge of foam under you heels encouraging heel strikes and overstriding. I only run once a week with them but already feel stronger and a better runner for them. I've had mine for a couple of months now and have felt fantastic afterwards.

I think really my stride has improved dramatically as a result. If I didn't need to wear shoes for December, January, February and March, I would switch to them full time (I'm not crazy enough to wear them in 6 inches of snow).
  • bbush18
    bbush18 Posts: 207 Member
    Options

I run every other day for the past year!! I have newtons now but is very interested in the vibrams. I just don't wanna injury myself if I get a pair because I know I don't have perfect form.

I heard Newton's were better...I haven't tried them though! How do you like them?
  • rankailie
    rankailie Posts: 144
    Options

I went from Nike Free+ to Vibrams several months ago. It probably wasn't as hard of a switch as it was for some people but it definitely takes time you have to work your way into vibrams wearing them gradually more and more. But honestly now I don't wear anything else, I tried wearing my Free+ a few days ago and it felt like I had a mattress attached to my feet.

But after a few months now in Vibrams my feel feel stronger, I have more mobility with my toes (oddly enough) and I no longer have shin pain or knee pain.
  • carolinarollergirl
    Options
    New Balanace has the minimus out now - it's not the 5-finger style but it does have the Vibram sole. I love it. I also have the Merrill trail runner - also a great shoe.

Making the switch is not as easy as everyone says but it's worth it. I will take the pain of sore muscles over shin splints any day! And the flat shoe is essential for doing crossfit / lifting weights.