Introduction: 41yr Mom/Teacher battling 80-100lbs

Options
Diabetic 2, Sleep Apnea, Hypertension. Doctor has listed for Bariatric surgery BUT I do not want this. I want to succeed without it! Need support, friends, motivation. Hoping to loose enough by September to UNLIST myself and be healthier.

Replies

• BradR_82
    BradR_82 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    You can do this, it is totally worthwhile!! And welcome, we're here to help!!
  • hunnyb333
    hunnyb333 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    So glad you joined! Great start, you can do it! A healthy life is an awesome goal.
  • mjm2011
    mjm2011 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Diabetic 2, Sleep Apnea, Hypertension. Doctor has listed for Bariatric surgery BUT I do not want this. I want to succeed without it! Need support, friends, motivation. Hoping to loose enough by September to UNLIST myself and be healthier.

If you have instagram, follow fatgirlfedup. Her name is Lexi and she and her husband started a new years resolution. She lost like 300 lbs by healthy eating and exercise!! No surgery! She is inspirational for sure!
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Hi Mom/Teacher :)

At 41 I was also about 100 lbs overweight. I'm 49 now and after some ups & downs, have about 40 left to go. That may not sound so encouraging, but what I've taken off, I've mostly kept off and in the meantime I vastly improved all of my health markers & quality of life. You can absolutely do this and have a powerful effect on all of the health issues you mentioned. My recommendation is to take a measured approach. You can support a 2 lb/week weight loss goal at your weight *if you want to*, but if that seems a little overwhelming (it means a 1000 calorie cut in your day), you can aim for 1.5 (a 750 calorie cut). Don't try to completely overhaul your diet, unless you are under specific restrictions from your doctor. Eat a balanced diet that includes foods you enjoy, and pay attention over time how various foods help or hurt your ability to stay within your calorie goal. Get some exercise if you like, but don't force yourself to do things you hate. And lastly, devote yourself to accurate logging. Weigh your food with a food scale (very cheap) if possible (basically because 2 TB of peanut butter isn't really 2 TB of peanut butter). Look for accurate, detailed entries in the database. Avoid generic or "homemade" entries. If you cook, enter your recipes in the recipe builder and work out accurate portion sizes. All of this may sound like a pain, but it's a once-and-done thing- once you've logged a food or entered a recipe once, it's there in your database for you to use again & again. Look through the recommended posts at the top of the Getting Started and General Diet & Weight Loss sections of the forums. It's going to take a while, but try to relax & remember you are basically learning how to live & eat for the rest of your life. Wish you the best :)
  • schen503
    schen503 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat with you, Dasmainprize. My doctor wants to give me an injection for diabetic, but I asked her to give me 3 months to try out by myself. I need some help from everybody who was able to reverse diabetic 2. Thanks in advance.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    Hi. I have a hundred plus pounds to lose. You can definitely do it if you put your mind to it. However, if you ever want some first-hand knowledge about the surgery I could get you in contact with my friend. She was a nervous wreck about having it done, but with all of her health problems it has changed her world. I know that's not the same motivation you were looking for, but I just wouldn't completely put it off. I've lost a lot of weight just using MyFitnessPal and I know you can do it too.
  • CaliMomTeach
    CaliMomTeach Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    I was prediabetic and had very high cholesterol. My doctor wanted to put me on cholesterol medication. I asked for a year to fix it. She was very hesitant, but I insisted. At the next visit, my sugar and cholesterol were at good levels. I had lost a little over 50 pounds. It is really hard, but if you stick with logging and don't go over your calories, the weight does come off. It's easier after a couple of weeks when you drastically change your intake of food. Once I started losing, it was very motivating to see the number on the scale drop. It took me about 7-8 months to lose about 50 pounds, and that was really sticking to the daily calories MFP recommended based on my weight and weight loss goals. The real challenge is in keeping it off after you've lost it. I tried not logging for a few months, and put back on about 10 or so pounds, and am now at the beginning of working that off.
  • anniekaypants
    anniekaypants Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I just started Keto about a month ago. I don’t feel deprived at all. I’m not freaking out counting calories or feeling hungry. I’m down 10 pound with about 40/50 to go! Good luck to everyone whatever weight loss avenue you choose.