How heavy is heavy?

Options
I go to the gym and work out with dumbbells and the bar. How heavy is heavy? You hear about women lifting heavy to burn fat, tone up and generally improve strength and fitness. For example at the moment I'm doing 15kg (33lb) on chest press without struggling and also 80kg (176lb) on squats. Obviously with eating plenty of protein. Limiting carbs and fat. Is this about right? Age 25 and 5ft 9 (179cm) views on how it will change my physique?

Replies

• jesspen91
    jesspen91 Posts: 1,383 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Heavy will be different for everyone as some people are naturally stronger than others. How many sets/reps can you do at those weights? That range is also a personal choice (although I wouldn't go more than 20) but the last rep of each set should be difficult so that you can't do another one with good form. As you get stronger you can add more weight to continue to get to the same number of sets.

ETA: If you follow a structured lifting programme it might take some of the guesswork out for how many reps you should be doing. This thread is great for recommendations

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • sazzabox
    sazzabox Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    jesspen91 wrote: »
    Heavy will be different for everyone as some people are naturally stronger than others. How many sets/reps can you do at those weights? That range is also a personal choice (although I wouldn't go more than 20) but the last rep of each set should be difficult so that you can't do another one with good form. As you get stronger you can add more weight to continue to get to the same number of sets.

ETA: If you follow a structured lifting programme it might take some of the guesswork out for how many reps you should be doing. This thread is great for recommendations

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Thanks for your advice. Currently doing 3 sets of 8. I have a personal trainer who advises me with a plan but just need to lose more fat I guess as it's making my arms look bulky. Thanks
  • JustAnotherOneOfThoseGirls
    Options
    I tend to look at it as % of body weight, for example, a 60kg individual lifting 30kg is more impressive than a 90kg individual lifting 30kg, as it's 50% vs 33% of their body weight. But obviously the amount you can lift depends on the muscles you're working, what exercise you're doing, etc., just using a scale of "from 1 to 10 how much effort do I think I've used" once you've finished is a good indicator
  • THeADHDTurnip
    THeADHDTurnip Posts: 413 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    You could always find out what your 1 rep max is then work on 85%+ of your 1RM, then it's heavy for you.
    https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/other7.htm
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    What's your goal?

Strength isn't really related to physique changes or a certain look... You can be strong and lean, strong and fat, strong and little, strong and big...
    Lifting heavy is relative, you just need to be progressing - following a structured program will be beneficial.
    You also don't need to always lift heavy - people can get good results going lighter but lifting in different ways.

For weight loss, and being lean, focus on your diet - you don't need high protein and low carb/fat, a more balanced approach would probably be better for you. Calories are what matter at the end of the day - if you're in a deficit, eating sufficient protein is also important (0.8g per lb of body weight is recommended).
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Whatever is heavy for you... it should be challenging but you want to be able to perform the prescribed reps/sets with proper form.

In order to progress, you want to make sure you focus on progressive overload.. essentially lifting more weight over time (it can be more weight, more sets, less rest between sets, more frequency etc).

Another vote for following a program (to add: just saw you have a trainer.. just make sure you are progressing over time and you feel challenged but able to recover)

And you don't need to up the protein so much and limit carbs and fat.. keep in a deficit, get enough protein, fat, and fill the rest with carbs.

Also be consistent and have patience, results take time.
  • sazzabox
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Whatever is heavy for you... it should be challenging but you want to be able to perform the prescribed reps/sets with proper form.

In order to progress, you want to make sure you focus on progressive overload.. essentially lifting more weight over time (it can be more weight, more sets, less rest between sets, more frequency etc).

Another vote for following a program.

And you don't need to up the protein so much and limit carbs and fat.. keep in a deficit, get enough protein, fat, and fill the rest with carbs.

Thanks. I wouldn't say I'm constantly limiting carbs. I up them on training days and reduce on rest days. Fat stays at 30-40g a day. I like eating lots of chicken and other protein and stops me reaching for other bad food.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    sazzabox wrote: »

Thanks for your advice. Currently doing 3 sets of 8. I have a personal trainer who advises me with a plan but just need to lose more fat I guess as it's making my arms look bulky. Thanks

What is your overall goal with the lifting? Are you eating at maintenance calories or a calorie deficit?

If new to lifting you are going to build newbie muscle gains but so much is driven by your calorie intake and like you stated getting adequate protein intake in your diet and if the program is designed for progressive overload.

Your muscles will generally be pumped up. But again your regime (calories, protein and how your program is designed) will determine the end goal with your lifting.

Avoiding carbs and fats are not necessary, just balanced enough to fit your specified goals.

eta: heavy is what ever is heavy for you, since you have a trainer I am sure he/she is working with you on proper form and being safe, following the program, getting adequate rest/recovery and diet will get you desired results.
  • sazzabox
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

What is your overall goal with the lifting? Are you eating at maintenance calories or a calorie deficit?

If new to lifting you are going to build newbie muscle gains but so much is driven by your calorie intake and like you stated getting adequate protein intake in your diet and if the program is designed for progressive overload.

Your muscles will generally be pumped up. But again your regime (calories, protein and how your program is designed) will determine the end goal with your lifting.

Avoiding carbs and fats are not necessary, just balanced enough to fit your specified goals.

To tone up and lose body fat along with gaining strength. :)
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I just wonder when do you start getting bulky? Obviously the heavier you lift the bigger the muscle?

Bulky is due to gaining muscle, typically in a surplus with time.. paired with higher bodyfat. It doesn't happen overnight and should not happen in a deficit. Obviously everyone's definition can be different. Some people consider too much muscle definition to be bulky (which is more about bodyfat than size).

While more muscle can make one stronger and able to lift more, muscle size doesn't necessarily correlate to how heavy one can lift.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

Another vote for following a program.

Thanks. I wouldn't say I'm constantly limiting carbs. I up them on training days and reduce on rest days. Fat stays at 30-40g a day. I like eating lots of chicken and other protein and stops me reaching for other bad food.

I would up fats - 0.35-0.45g per lb of body weight... You need fats for good health and body function...
  • RoxieDawn
    edited January 2018
    Options

Are you eating at maintenance calories or in a small calorie deficit? You won't build a ton of muscle without purposely doing so, i.e. eating at surplus and progressive overload program.

If you trust your trainer, stick with the program lay out. Like I said, diet will be the end all to what you see over time. It takes quite a while to recomp.
  • sazzabox
    Options

Are you eating at maintenance calories or in a small calorie deficit? You won't build a ton of muscle without purposely doing so, i.e. eating at surplus and progressive overload program.

If you trust your trainer, stick with the program lay out. Like I said, diet will be the end all to what you see over time. It takes quite a while to recomp.

Currently eating in a slight deficit. So 1800 calories. I appreciate all your guidance x
  • RoxieDawn
    Options

Currently eating in a slight deficit. So 1800 calories. I appreciate all your guidance x

I've been where you are! :smile:

It looks like you just need to stay the course, the slight deficit will help you shed some fat and continuing to work with the lifting to reach your desired goal. Time and patience is all you need. Just keep eating, lifting and resting!
  • sazzabox
    Options
    Thank you. I've lost 5 stone since the start. Now I think it's the last slog to get to where I need and I'm becoming impatient! I'll take your advice and will get there eventually x