How to stop binging on junk

Options
Hey everyone I’m new to MFP and need some advice. I’ve been staying within my calories but i normally eat quite unhealthy. How can I trick myself or start incorporating healthier food without going under my calories?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    A healthy diet is enough food, varied and balanced, eaten regularly. Healthy eating is a healthy diet plus a healthy relationship with food. A healthy relationship with food is freely allowing yourself food you like, trusting that your tastebuds and your brain together will lead you in the direction of nutritious as well as enjoyable food, and that you will get enough.

You stop overeating by developing a healthy relationship with food. You continue overeating if you demonize food you like.

If you struggle to hit your calories, consider these things: Are you logging correctly? Are you eating food you don't particularly enjoy?
  • KatiieT96
    KatiieT96 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I’m quite a picky eater so I tend to go to foods I know I already like and are easy to make. I work long days so been getting used to just cooking things in the oven instead of trying to cook healthier meals.
    I try and log my foods accurately as most of the stuff I eat either have barcodes or are fruits and veggies.
    Thanks for the information :)

• kommodevaran
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Food you like and is easy to make, is healthy, as long as you eat regularly, enough, and not too much. Cooking is good; trying to cook "healthy meals" often backfires because we can be tempted to take it to the extreme - low fat, low sugar, low salt, so low taste and to hell with it.

Make sure to check the database entry against the label; scanning is not a guarantee for validity. For produce, check the USDA database. And weigh everything.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Plan for your meals ahead of time that way you'll be less likely to reach for the handy option.
  • KatiieT96
    Options
    I have tried to meal prep in the past but after moving out and sharing the freezer with two roommates, I can’t fit many meals in which makes it difficult
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    Meal planning is not the same as meal prepping.
  • KatiieT96
    Options
    Sorry my bad! I do need to start meal planning however with my average cooking skills and being a picky eater it’ll still be hard to manage what I could eat
  • sc0rpi0gal
    sc0rpi0gal Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    You could always prep salad (3-4 days worth) boil some eggs, cook and freeze some meats (chicken breast, mince - you can freeze in 100-150g portions in Ziploc bags) then put together easy meals (chicken salad, mince taco bowls etc) just means youll have to prep the fresh vegies every few days :) Im bad for binging on junk food. Much less chance when I prep.
  • KatiieT96
    Options
    sc0rpi0gal wrote: »
    You could always prep salad (3-4 days worth) boil some eggs, cook and freeze some meats (chicken breast, mince - you can freeze in 100-150g portions in Ziploc bags) then put together easy meals (chicken salad, mince taco bowls etc) just means youll have to prep the fresh vegies every few days :) Im bad for binging on junk food. Much less chance when I prep.

Thanks for the ideas! I like the mince taco bowl suggestion actually.. i am terrible with binging on junk foods cause it’s normally so much easier to prepare or is straight from a packet haha
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    If you have basic cooking skills and can follow a recipe, you can find a million recipes on the internet to try out.

I don't freeze meals. I meal prep lunch on Sundays for the week, pack them separately, and in the fridge they go. I meal plan on Sundays for breakfast and dinner and snacks.

It kind of sounds like you're making excuses. It's easy to follow a recipe if you're not trying to cook fancy meals and you have basic skills. And, I don't want to be harsh, but you are an adult. Maybe it's time to start expanding your horizons by trying one new thing a week - like one new veggie, cooked different ways - to see if you find new foods you like. Some veggies are better cooked in different ways - try steaming, sautéing, baking.
  • KatiieT96
    Options
    veganbaum wrote: »
    If you have basic cooking skills and can follow a recipe, you can find a million recipes on the internet to try out.

I don't freeze meals. I meal prep lunch on Sundays for the week, pack them separately, and in the fridge they go. I meal plan on Sundays for breakfast and dinner and snacks.

It kind of sounds like you're making excuses. It's easy to follow a recipe if you're not trying to cook fancy meals and you have basic skills. And, I don't want to be harsh, but you are an adult. Maybe it's time to start expanding your horizons by trying one new thing a week - like one new veggie, cooked different ways - to see if you find new foods you like. Some veggies are better cooked in different ways - try steaming, sautéing, baking.

I actually wasn’t sure how long meals could stay fresh in the fridge for that’s why I haven’t tried. May seem like I’m making excuses but considering I’m new to the whole cooking thing, I’m just scared to try different ways to cook foods! Thanks for your idea on trying a new thing a week, that may be something I start doing
  • KatiieT96
    Options
    That’s great thankyou! I will try out cooking a bigger dinner so I have a few extra meals for that week :)