Xmas water weight gain and drop - Give us your data!

Options
1235»

Replies

• beesareyellow
    beesareyellow Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Well, after much research I decided a diet break was long overdue so scheduled it for the two weeks between Christmas and New Year. No logging or weighing. 5 huge celebratory dinners, 3 dinners out, too much alcohol to count.... You get the picture. Weighed back in on January 2nd and was up 9 pounds. Three days later already lost 5 pounds. I have given myself two weeks to get rid of the weight. My logic is it took two weeks to put on so it should take two weeks to drop. Also, the diet break was really great for my physical and mental well being. Overall, great experience.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    Im up 14 pounds. Down 3 of the 14 so far- Though keeping self VERY hydrated because im dehydrated and my skin hurts lol. Impressive christmas gains ;D Three days of overeating badly. So many cookies.... Ill be the first to say i ate like a months calories easy in those days xD EASY. Itl go away :p

iv never quoted myself before but i have an update :p Of my 14 pounds it seems 5-6 were fat. Which is fine, Was worth it and has kicked my butt happily out of the binge on all sweets mood i had been in for months. Eating basically potatoes , protein powder, eggs, veggies and fruit right now. Pretty strictly. And i like it its how i like to eat when i dont stray off path lol. I dont feel starving all the time anymore. The water weight hung on for longer thn normal, That was new for me. I felt so puffy and pregnant im glad thats gone anyway lol. Now i seem to be dehydrated even when i drink rediculous amounts of water i always wake up with very dark pee (sorry tmi) So its shed a full new kind of insight on what happens to my body when i significantly overeat.

Im going to hold on to my new knowledge for next time :p Still worth it, But not all the time.
  • Muana1005
    Muana1005 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Gained 3 kgs as Christmas and my monthly cycle coincided.
  • meloyellow27
    meloyellow27 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I was 135.2 on Dec 24th and on Jan 2nd I weighed in at 144.0. I ate like it was my last day on earth and enjoyed every bite lol.

Jan 3rd 140.0
    Jan 4th 137.6
    Today 136.2

• SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Gained 10lbs between Nov 1-Dec 31. I’m down 5lbs in 5 days with no sign of slowing down yet.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I gained 5 lbs over the month of December
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Just looked at mine.

Little bit ugly. I stopped tracking on the 23rd, but started Christmas eating on about the 20th.

Scale on the 20th showed 212.8.

Had the week off between Christmas and New Years and while I went for a few runs and a couple of Cross Country ski trips, did not hit the gym and played a good chunk of video games.

Went steadily up from then on to a Jan 1 high of 219.6 (hey, New Years Eve dinner was stuffed mushrooms, scallops, steak and lobster with a good amount of wine, all at home).

It's starting to go away now, 215.6 today and I expect a few more pounds to drop off, but I think ~2 lbs is real and will take some work to get rid of.

Jan 1 2017 I was 276.5 so I'm really not complaining.

Back to logging and hitting the gym.

Huh. Back to 212.9 this morning. So I lost ~ 7lbs since Monday. Makes me feel a bit better.
  • me0231
    me0231 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I love this thread! Thanks for sharing everyone. Here are my stats so far

Lowest weight: Dec 14: 164lbs
    Dec 22: 164.9
    Family visit overseas
    Jan 3: 171
    Jan 4: 169.3
    Jan 5: 168.7
    Jan 6: 166.8

I think a pound or so will end up being actual fat gain. I had a great time! ;)
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Seem to be stabilizing over last three days, 136, 136.8, 136.1, down from high 139s. I only really had 2-3 off the book days and went crazy on neither. I guesstimate only an extra 1,000 or so cals Christmas Eve and NYE, and I maintained my workout schedule.
  • dave_in_ni
    dave_in_ni Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I'm still stuck. 77.4kg before the holidays, 79.6kg on 2nd Jan, I started severely restricting on 2nd to get things moving eating 1500 cals max and basically doing enough steps and exercise to cancel out the cals I'm eating and then on Sunday my weight goes up again 80.4kg. Now this morning its started to drop 80.1kg so I am hoping thats the start off it.

My body seems to take a while to get the memo that we are trying to lose weight not store it. When I lost 30kg back 2 years ago I never dropped as much as 1lb the entire month of January then in Feb I dropped like 12lbs in 1 week.
  • PowerliftingMom
    PowerliftingMom Posts: 430 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I actually lost 2 lbs. between Christmas and New Year's. My weight has been fluctuating a lot since then between .5-1.5 lbs
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Post New Years I was up like, 12lb and now a week later I’m down about 8lb with 4lb more to drop. I retain water weight like CRAZY which is why seeing such a high number didn’t make me blink an eye. It’s also why when I get there, my maintenance range will be about 10-15lb up and 5lb down because a high sodium meal can make me retain a LOT and for a few days. Same with TOM.
    If anything at all, I maaaay have gained about 2lb max over Christmas-New Years week. Maybe.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    My scales are being stubborn, refusing to budge. They'll move eventually I'm sure!
  • sheena_shewell
    sheena_shewell Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hi there! Fellow Aussie here. Weight before Christmas and new year's celebrations was around 61kgs. Weight after 63.5kgs. Cut down on my calories for a week and bam! Back down to 61kgs
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I’ve been waiting to weigh in (pun intended!).
    Thanksgiving morning =169.6
    New Years Day = 179.5
    Jan 9 = 174.8
    So maybe 6 lbs net gain - 4 lbs water??
    The best part is seeing Trendweight estimation going from gaining 1.5 lb a week to losing 0.2 lb a week in only 10 days!

This was my 3rd holiday season using MFP - overall loss was getting close to 100. I’ve never been able to keep going this long ever! With 25 lbs to go, I’ll be there by next Christmas!
    I hope that people newer to MFP that may have been derailed by their first holiday gains will read this thread and see the big picture!
  • me0231
    me0231 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    me0231 wrote: »
    I love this thread! Thanks for sharing everyone. Here are my stats so far

Lowest weight: Dec 14: 164lbs
    Dec 22: 164.9
    Family visit overseas
    Jan 3: 171
    Jan 4: 169.3
    Jan 5: 168.7
    Jan 6: 166.8

I think a pound or so will end up being actual fat gain. I had a great time! ;)

Jan 8: 164.8
    Jan 11: 163.8

Overall I'm super stoked with the holidays. Turns out about a month was more or less maintenance,@ and now I'm going for the last push to get to my GW of 150.
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I was scale averse all of December. Late November I was 159.5 lbs. Start of 2018 I was 164. Now at 162.5. Was surprised the weight wasn't up more over December. I ate a lot of cheese and drank a lot of alcohol.
  • PSwner
    PSwner Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I gained 8 lbs (what my loss has been over the previous 6 weeks), and it just came down yesterday. I ate pretty healthy, still went to the gym, but definitely upped the portions and ate a lot more carbs, desserts, and was drinking every day. I'm just hoping to get back on track with full losses this week!!!
  • dave_in_ni
    dave_in_ni Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    My weight still hasn't really dropped, still 79.6kg, I was 77.4kg before Xmas, and that with being very strict in what I eat. 1500 cals per day and everything strictly tracked, its like my body is fighting hard. I really don't think it was water weight I gained over Xmas as this point, it was pure fat.