Rest days?

2»

Replies

• Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    rest-day-i-think-thats-a-crossfit-deal.jpg
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    I love the gym, but no matter what splits I try for weight training, there is always a day where I just need a day off because my muscles are demanding a break.

I am not exactly sure what you mean by 'self sabotage'. A little guilt is normal, but you really have to think of rest days as a necessary part of the training/recovery process.

Maybe on your 'off days', do yoga, stretching, or some simple steady state cardio that isn't too demanding on the muscles and still has benefits.
  • kstreit1997
    kstreit1997 Posts: 5 Member
    Thanks all! I definitely do need rest days. Just i hate taking them because i feel like I’m hindering my progress (which i know I’m not-it’s giving my body time to heal and rejuvenate for the next workout!)
  • blueheartrisen
    blueheartrisen Posts: 30 Member
    Ideally I will do something every day, it's just better for me that way. However, the intensity varies based on how I feel and I do not do the same type of exercise every day. If I really need a rest day I take it.
  • KarenSmith2018
    KarenSmith2018 Posts: 302 Member
    I find rest days hard - I like the extra cals from working out. I mix up what I do. I play netball one day, run one day and crossfit the other 4. Then the 7th day tends to be a long hill walk or another but more gentle run. Life tends to force rest days on me - like if I have to do a long journey.
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    I lift 3 days a week. I follow a progressive plan set by my PT, which is pretty varied but also includes most of the standard big lifts.
    It's all I can do without things starting to get worse rather than better over the medium term!

I also average over 12,000 steps a day, and do hike sometimes at the weekend as well - including a 4 hour epic in the Peak District on New Year's Eve!

It's hugely important for your body to get enough rest (although that's wildly different for different people), and also for you to have a plan that you can stick to consistently without self-sabotaging.
    I'd be tempted to scale things back to find what is consistently manageable, do that for a few months and see what happens. If you feel like you can put another workout in, then go for it.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    MichSmish wrote: »
    I run 7 days a week, lift 3 days.

ETA: I never feel the need to rest from cardio, but strength training requires rest days.

me too