Hypothyroidism

Options
I got my thyroid retested on Tuesday and my tsh level is over 155. The doctors have placed me on a no gluten no soy no dairy diet for at least 7 weeks. I’m beginning to realize everything I typically eat contains the three things. It’s day 3 and it’s so hard to stay away. My weakness is carbs and cheese. Nothing fills me and food is so bland.

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    have they put you on any medication? or if you were on synthroid (or generic) have they adjusted your dose? there is limited peer reviewed research on the effect of diet on thyroid issues..
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    What's the reasoning behind the diet? Have you had a second opinion? Are you on replacement therapy?
  • jesssantos32
    jesssantos32 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    have they put you on any medication? or if you were on synthroid (or generic) have they adjusted your dose? there is limited peer reviewed research on the effect of diet on thyroid issues..

They are starting me on levothyroxine 100mcg for the 7 weeks and the diet.
  • jesssantos32
    jesssantos32 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    What's the reasoning behind the diet? Have you had a second opinion? Are you on replacement therapy?

They said gluten dairy and soy effects the absorption of the levothyroxine
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    ummm, not that I've seen - you aren't supposed to eat for an 30min to an hour after taking meds and should avoid calcium supplements for 4hrs after; the only time I had to avoid specific foods was when I did a low iodine diet as prep for treatment and that wasn't to do with the uptake of levo into my system...

@CSARdiver thoughts?
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options

They said gluten dairy and soy effects the absorption of the levothyroxine

I'm on levothyroxine and I eat all those things... you're supposed to take it an hour before eating, on an empty stomach.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Is this doctor an endocrinologist?

My first reaction is to find a different doctor. TSH is managed through levothyroxine supplementation and has little to nothing to do with your diet. Unless you have a specific issue, sensitivity, or allergy to diary/soy/gluten this is nonsense.

Did they take multiple readings? You also need a full thyroid panel including TSH (0.2-2.0), fT3, fT4, and rT3 to make any real assessment.

It will take ~6-8 weeks for you to really feel the effects of the levothyroxine. You should ideally take this first thing in the morning on an empty stomach 60 mins prior to eating.
  • sksk1026
    sksk1026 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I've been on synthroid for years to treat hypothyroidism but I've never been told to avoid certain foods.