How do you Handle Hunger

Options
Okay, some people transcend hunger. I'm not one of tthem. I have to power through it!! Lately I've been doing pretty well, but usually will have one day a week where i fall apart.

I'd be interested in hearing how some of you deal with hunger.

-billb

Replies

• tamarab3
    tamarab3 Posts: 64
    Options
    I plan for and eat up to my maintainance level calories one day a week. I have found that I am less likely to eat extra the rest of the week because I know I have a day when I get to eat more.
  • JeanWalker109
    Options
    I've really started praying. Yes, I'm serious. I ask God to give me discernment as to whether I'm really hungry, or if it's something else I'm wanting. Sometimes, it's true that, I'm just bored. Sometimes, I just want to be chewing something, but I'm not hungry, so I go for gum - if I can. I don't always win the battle, but more often than not - I'm getting much better. I don't believe it's something I'll ever fully "defeat". It's something I'll always have to think about and "power through," but I know it's doable. I'm a recovering food-a-holic...AND that's okay. Like an alcoholic, I'll battle it for life, but I'll win and I won't go back to old ways. You totally can!

Focus on the times you are strongest and remember those when you feel weak.

I wish you well.

*smiles*

Jean
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I am rarely hungry. Seriously I plan my meals and eat every few hours. I eat lots of veggies which tend to be very filling so I am rarely hungry.
  • mrk34
    mrk34 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    You don't have to endure hunger to lose weight, because losing weight can be done without going hungry.

It would be extremely difficult – if not impossible- for me to try to tolerate hunger. The feeling is so strong that I don’t think I would be able to stand it.

Therefore I eliminated hunger issue from my weight loss struggle.

The key is to eat foods that will fill you up without eating a large amount of calories.
  • maryloo2011
    Options
    I am rarely hungry. Seriously I plan my meals and eat every few hours. I eat lots of veggies which tend to be very filling so I am rarely hungry.

+2
  • tramaine81
    tramaine81 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Hey!

Ways to stop hunger....hunger is different from the desire to eat. You can be hungry without desiring to eat and you can desire to eat without being hungry. I can not stop hunger, which happens to everyone, is a natural defense mechanism, and is needed by our bodies to tell us when we need the necessary fuel to survive. However, I can help you with eliminating the desire to eat. Many people don't believe it, desire to eat is usually self-created. Have you ever left a meal wanting more food than you did when you started? Tips are don't drink your calories and eat less food containing sugar. This one trick will help eliminate the desire to constantly eat. In addition, eat protein with food and consume less, fluffy and non filling food. For example, if you are a cookout, go ahead and eat a burger instead of filling up on chips, desserts, fruit drinks, and then eating the burger anyway. Also, at restaurants, skip the chips or bread and order a soup or salad to immediately come to your table before you get your entree (only eat half of the entree:).

GOOD LUCK!!!!
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    actual hunger? ie empty growling stomach, light headed, irritable, discomfort. = I eat something

just fancy some food, but not actually hungry = either eat something small, and make my next meal smaller, or eat my next meal but early, or have a cup of tea instead
  • lsd007
    lsd007 Posts: 435
    Options
    I eat.

Sorry, I'm guessing that is not the answer you were looking for.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    eating reasonable portions when actually physically hungry, is not whats going to make you gain weight.
    There is absolutely no need to go hungry
  • microvation
    Options
    Thanks for the info and suggestions all! It sounds like I've been making this harder on myself than I need to.

The #1 thing I'm hearing is that there is no need to go hungry, doesn't mean binge, means eat when hunrgy but eat sensible foods with good content that has the things my body can make best use of (ie protein though I'll cop to not knowing a lot about nutrition).

Thanks!
  • MarandaPanda86
    Options
    I have a piece of cheese (like a 60 calorie cheese stick) and either some veggies or fruit. Also, Special K makes a protein drink mix that contains 5g of protein and 5g of fiber. Mix it into a water bottle and have that, it's only 30 calories and really takes the edge off of hunger!